I was just at a kays jewelers, I was looking at a Citizen watch

About $150 Eco-Drive and Atomic.

this one in fact.

View attachment 137020

But then the nice sales girl told me I should get a Movado instead

This is the one she showed me

View attachment 137019

Now it's about $800

I'm going to assume you know what a Movado is and why it cost so much more, if you don't you probably can't answer my question.

First, I didn't get it. She talk herself out of a sale, I was going to get the Citizen but now I like the idea of the Movado.

Here are some of the over Movado's I liked.

View attachment 137021View attachment 137022View attachment 137023

So my question!

Is the Movado worth $650 more? And if I'm going to spend that kind of money is there a better brand to look at?

Thanks!

I think a lot of it depends on what you want. Do you like that sparse, minimalist look? That "museum style" watch seems to be what Movado is most well known for.

I personally wouldn't pay that much for a quartz watch, especially when you can get a very nice looking Citizen Eco Drive (like the one you mentioned) that won't (or at least shouldn't) ever need a battery replaced. If you want an automatic, the Seiko 5 series seems to be pretty widely respected. I don't have any experience with them, but they have a reputation for being very durable and well-made, especially for the price.

Movado made some very fine automatic watches years ago. They are known for their designs and clean faces. Back in the 80's they switched to mainly quartz watches. If you like the look, buy the watch.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Movado made some very fine automatic watches years ago. They are known for their designs and clean faces. Back in the 80's they switched to mainly quartz watches. If you like the look, buy the watch.

Kinda what I was thinking. If you want a Swiss style automatic, you can spend a lot less. If you want shear style, you could spend a lot more.

If you want a very good quartz watch I highly recommend the Citizen eco-drive line up of watches. I like mine very much and I'm sure you would not be disappointed with any of the Eco-drives.

I also like my Hamilton automatic Swiss watch when I am dressed up, but it is clearly not a Movado.

If you're the kind of guy that wants a nice piece of jewelry, but doesn't want a gaudy hunk of bling hanging from a gold chain around your neck, then get the Movado. IMO the Movado is only for looks, it could be powered by a rubber-band for all I care. Whatever you do, avoid the temptation of getting a Movado look-a-like, then you might as well hang that cheap bling around your neck.

Well, I'm not one for such minimalistic design and I much prefer rectagular watches. So, given the choices you're offering: the Citizen.

I guess to me the watch is just a mans bracelet.

The reason I didn't just go with the Citizen is that most of the cheap watches I've bought the Finishes rub off, what seems to be very fast, and I was told that Finishes on the Movados last for a very long time.

The guy (not the girl ) that was talking to me showed me his watch (A Movado)

that was 10 years old, and it looked new! I really don't think he was lying.

O' an what is a quartz watch :blush:

If you haven't figured it out yet, I don't know anything about watches.

So far I have never payed more than about $100 for a watch, most have been about $40.

Bestially I want a watch that looks good and will look good for a long time.

So any brand that would be good for the money I love to hear about ( I can't see paying more than $1000 )

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I guess to me the watch is just a mans bracelet.

The reason I didn't just go with the Citizen is that most of the cheap watches I've bought the Finishes rub off, what seems to be very fast, and I was told that Finishes on the Movados last for a very long time.

The guy (not the girl ) that was talking to me showed me his watch (A Movado)

that was 10 years old, and it looked new! I really don't think he was lying.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I don't know anything about watches.

So far I have never payed more than about $100 for a watch, most have been about $40.

Bestially I want a watch that looks good and will look good for a long time.

So any brand that would be good for the money I love to hear about ( I can't see paying more than $1000 )

Then the Movado might be right on for you. Shop around, you might be able to get a better price. I'm going to send you a PM on something that might help.

Kid, you've seen how hard I am on stuff. My watch is a Citizen Eco Drive. I've had it at least 8 years, maybe more. It needs the crystal replaced but all in all looks pretty good still.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Kid, you've seen how hard I am on stuff. My watch is a Citizen Eco Drive. I've had it at least 8 years, maybe more. It needs the crystal replaced but all in all looks pretty good still.

And that's coming from a super hero with a gold chain around his neck.

people with more brains than money actually spend more than $30 on a watch?
wow

(somewhat) kidding aside, I could never bring myself to spend that much on a watch. First, I just never have, and most likely never will, have that kind of extra money for such a purchase. Second, watches never last long enough to justify that kind of money for me. But that's just me.

However, step out of my little circle and into yours, of the options you gave, I like the Citizen

(somewhat) kidding aside, I could never bring myself to spend that much on a watch. First, I just never have, and most likely never will, have that kind of extra money for such a purchase. Second, watches never last long enough to justify that kind of money for me. But that's just me.

However, step out of my little circle and into yours, of the options you gave, I like the Citizen

Actually, that is why I bought the one I have. My watches never lasted more than a few months. I think the most I spent on one was $80 and it lasted the same as a $20 watch. So, I decided to save up and buy one really nice watch to see what happened. Nearly a decade later, it is still a great watch! :thumbup1:

Actually, that is why I bought the one I have. My watches never lasted more than a few months. I think the most I spent on one was $80 and it lasted the same as a $20 watch. So, I decided to save up and buy one really nice watch to see what happened. Nearly a decade later, it is still a great watch! :thumbup1:

but, has it truly lasted that long, or, because of how much it cost, do you consciously take better care of it? :biggrin1:

I did have one watch that cost $80, I paid $40 and the other half was on a gift card for my birthday. I really liked it, and consciously took better care of it than I did less expensive ones....for awhile.

There's a term for that behavior, but I can't remember it right now.
To go off on a tangent, that's a behavior that's been getting lost in the instant gratification, charge-charge-charge generation, no true value placed on things, so the expensive items aren't viewed with more value than the less-expensive, and the less-expensive are treated with no value at all....not saying anyone here does that, it's just, well, a tangent :001_cool:

Back on topic, the watch - it's a casualty.
In all honesty, I've had only one watch since then, $35 Timex as a birthday gift. I found myself taking it off so often at work so it wouldn't get caught in a computer case or network rack, that I almost never wore it anyway. When it died, I haven't replaced it. I always have my phone with me, the time is always right, battery is always charged....haven't felt the need for a new watch.

But, if I was Skklog....I'd freak out. But I'd go with the Citizen :001_cool:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
people with more brains than money actually spend more than $30 on a watch?
wow

but, has it truly lasted that long, or, because of how much it cost, do you consciously take better care of it? :biggrin1:

I did have one watch that cost $80, I paid $40 and the other half was on a gift card for my birthday. I really liked it, and consciously took better care of it than I did less expensive ones....for awhile.

To go off on a tangent, that's a behavior that's been getting lost in the instant gratification, charge-charge-charge generation, no true value placed on things, so the expensive items aren't viewed with more value than the less-expensive, and the less-expensive are treated with no value at all....not saying anyone here does that, it's just, well, a tangent :001_cool:

In all honesty, I've had only one watch since then, $35 Timex as a birthday gift. I found myself taking it off so often at work so it wouldn't get caught in a computer case or network rack, that I almost never wore it anyway. When it died, I haven't replaced it. I always have my phone with me, the time is always right, battery is always charged....haven't felt the need for a new watch.

The last cheap watch that I had was literally getting eaten away. On many cheap watches only the back cover is stainless and the rest of the watch case is just plated. I only have a few watches that I rotate through now and they are either all stainless or titanium. The titanium one is very light and is actually an inexpensive watch that I got on the bay for around $40.

No, I do not take better care of it. Anyone that knows me knows, I buy things that I don't have to worry about. Or, I don't worry about them anyhow. I am very rough on things. This watch actually survived me! That is saying something.

another tangent: a good friend of mine, the drummer for Pocket Full of Rocks, can't wear digital watches. Withing a few minutes the time and date are waaaay off. He does nothing to them, just wears them. It's the freakiest thing.

Quartz and automatic refer to the movement, or power source, of the watch. Quartz watches are watches with batteries, and automatic watches are wound by the movement of the watch as it's worn by the wearer. Automatics are also referred to as mechanical, self-winding or kinetic, depending on the brand. Quartz watches are more accurate than mechanical watches, whereas mechanical watches don't ever need batteries replaced and are considered more jewelry/art than quartz watches. The Eco Drive line by Citizen are quartz watches that are recharged by sunlight.

another tangent: a good friend of mine, the drummer for Pocket Full of Rocks, can't wear digital watches. Withing a few minutes the time and date are waaaay off. He does nothing to them, just wears them. It's the freakiest thing.

Maybe he's a Pleidian? :ohmy:

Top Bottom