What's new

Unique "Fresh and Clean" scents

Well after trying many samples recently it seems that SWMBO's absolute favorites seem to be the fresh and clean scents. Its funny because i did not order any samples with this type of scent but had a few from nordstroms laying around. She seems to like scents like burberry summer and Lacoste Essential.

However she says she likes the style of scent but they need more "oomph" whatever that means. To me it means the scents are to generic and need something that stands out (as i like to be unique)

She also likes scents like knize 10 and paco robanne 1 million but likes the fresh stuff more.

So Gentleman the question to you guys is... What are some unique "fresh and clean" style scents similar to above and if you would be so kind as to seperate them into winter/spring summer scents that would be great as i already have quite an extensive collection (15 or so regular size bottles and tons of samples) but i do not have the extensive knowledge that some of you have when it comes to scents, seasons, etc.

The ultimate "fresh and clean" scent to me is Prada Infusion D'Homme. Soapy, nice and clean. Lasts very well on me which is a problem with many of these type scents. I kept seeing this one referenced at Basenotes with high praise and thought I'd give it a try. Best designer scent I've discovered in quite awhile. Can't say enough about it. This may have the oomph your SWMBO referenced.

Creed Original Vetiver. Super clean. Fantastic green fresh opening that I wished lasted longer. Longevity a bit dicey on me.

Gendarme. They make an EdP version which may last longer. A great fresh soapy scent favored by a lot of politicians evidently. But the regular cologne strength can be a bit short lived. They make some variants too. I like Gendarme 20 which is infused with some lavender. Effect is like a clean starched white shirt. Last fairly well too. As a side note, the owner of Gendarme has a lot of allergies and he formulates these to be less irritating to those sensitve to fragrances. They are not truly hypo-allergenic, but many people can tolerate these that can't deal with the usual frags. His matching Gendarme soap is fabulous too and not overly pricey (makes the shower a real treat, especially in summer). To many people, this is the ultimate fresh and clean fragrance.

Not familiar with the scents you referenced, but these are all very clean "two thumbs up" scents. I'm in SoCal and as such, don't make many distinctions between summer and winter scents (until it's super hot outside). To me these kinds of fresh scents may be better in summer, but I would not discourage anyone from wearing them in cold weather either. You can smell clean and fresh in cold weather.

Last edited:
Before Procter and Gamble poisoned the U.S. Old Spice waters, the freshest was Old Spice Fresh. I would get compliments on it.

The freshest scent I use is probably Irisch Moos. Love their shave sticks too.

Creed Original Vetiver. Super clean. Fantastic green fresh opening that I wished lasted longer.

+ 1 on Creed's OV. It doesn't get any fresher, cleaner, or greener.

Likewise, Creed's Green Irish Tweed is a standard "fresh" fougère with the pleasant twist of extraordinarily well-rendered violet leaf and sandalwood.

Not to shill for Creed; I would add the the hyper-masculine Lomani Pour Homme offers a very clean and bone-dry citrus/lavender/moss combo for $10 a bottle.

If you can get your hands on it, don't pass up a bottle of the now-discontinued Gucci Nobile - one of the freshest green scents I've ever smelled.

-Creed:

Chevrefeuille - sharp clean honeysuckle leaves

Green Valley - a warm clean Irish Spring like fragrance

-Guerlain:

Eau de Guerlain - Green citrus

Vetiver - Citrus Vetiver

Habit Rouge - Citrus Vanilla Leather (good to compare with Knize 10) People tend to recommend the EdP for longevity

-Dior Eau Sauvage - Citrus Basil Vetiver

-Acqua di Parma Colonia - Citrus Rose powdery scent

-Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire - long lasting green scent. Lots of OOMPH!

+ 1 on Creed's OV. It doesn't get any fresher, cleaner, or greener.

Likewise, Creed's Green Irish Tweed is a standard "fresh" fougère with the pleasant twist of extraordinarily well-rendered violet leaf and sandalwood.

Not to shill for Creed; I would add the the hyper-masculine Lomani Pour Homme offers a very clean and bone-dry citrus/lavender/moss combo for $10 a bottle.

Love OV and GIT.

If a cologne is $10.00, it must be terrible (lol!). Seriously, this sounds like a real find. I found this on basenotes:

http://www.basenotes.net/entries/1204-Lomani-Pour-Homme-Is-The-Original-Cool-Water

I'm going to get a bottle when I see it, or find it on ebay. Thanks Featherweight. :thumbup1:

Love OV and GIT.

If a cologne is $10.00, it must be terrible (lol!). Seriously, this sounds like a real find. I found this on basenotes:

http://www.basenotes.net/entries/1204-Lomani-Pour-Homme-Is-The-Original-Cool-Water

I'm going to get a bottle when I see it, or find it on ebay. Thanks Featherweight. :thumbup1:

Yeah, I wrote that article on Basenotes, and also included a similar review here on B&B. I want to recant a bit of that, though. With many more subsequent wearings, I think I was wrong in this assessment. There aren't really that many similarities in how Lomani and Cool Water smell, beyond perhaps the treatment of the lavender, which in Cool Water is so strangely subverted as to be almost unnoticeable. Lomani gets compared to older fougeres like Drakkar Noir, which is probably a more apt pairing here - and the dry down of Lomani really is like putting your nose up to an oak tree after it rains. Some have called it too "old man" - I still don't know what that's supposed to mean. All the old men I've ever met have smelled of either cigarettes or mothballs, or both.

How about Pinaud's Citrus Musk for a great fresh and clean fragrance? It somehow avoids the syrupy limeness of its kinsman Lime Sec and quickly moves to a fragrance like freshly ironed, sun dried laundry. Excellent for warm weather and it will only set you back six or seven bucks.

Another pleasantly fresh fragrance would be Aqua Lavanda Puig. A warm and delightful citrus and lavender. It would be fine in spring or summer, but you could wear it all year. The range includes an excellent soap and body wash too.

Finally, Shiseido's Tactics is an outstanding green fragrance. Like the previous two, it is also quite inexpensive.

Last edited:
Another pleasantly fresh fragrance would be Aqua Lavanda Puig. A warm and delightful citrus and lavender. It would be fine in spring or summer, but you could wear it all year. The range includes an excellent soap and body wash too.

Oh yeah, Agua Lavanda is amazing! That's a good one to try!

Agua Fresca by Adolfo Dominguez is great: citrusy, woody, fresh, masculine. Does not last long, which for me is a good thing.

A lot of vetiver scents have a very fresh, clean vibe to them (but be careful, there are also some dirty earthy ones...)

+1 to above recommendations: Creed Original Vetiver, Guerlain Vetiver (most recent formulation), Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire.

I'll also toss in Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver. Very clean and superb longevity for a clean scent. Most of the "cleaner" more fresh scents tend to dissipate quickly on me, but GV lasts a long time. It is worth noting that it is an EdP, which I'm sure adds to the longevity of this one. If you like Guerlain's, it smells somewhat similar, but to my nose it is a bit more clean and fresh among other differences.

Last edited:
Great suggestions above. I'll add Terre d'Hermes, which is a great orange/bergamot scent, and the citrus hangs in throughout the wearing, which has very good longevity, especially for a citrus-dominant scent, at 6 yo 8 hours.

Great suggestions above. I'll add Terre d'Hermes, which is a great orange/bergamot scent, and the citrus hangs in throughout the wearing, which has very good longevity, especially for a citrus-dominant scent, at 6 yo 8 hours.

I love TdH and I don't think it has a fresh or clean vibe to it. It is spicy, bitter and a bit dirty to me. I think because it's not so fresh and clean is why it appeals to me.

I love TdH and I don't think it has a fresh or clean vibe to it. It is spicy, bitter and a bit dirty to me. I think because it's not so fresh and clean is why it appeals to me.

Wow, I don't get bitterness or dirtiness as all, and I probably wouldn't call it spicy, either. Another interesting example of YMMV. :thumbup1:

I would suggest Voyage d'Hermes. This is not a scent that I am terribly familiar with, but I really enjoyed it when I checked it out and I definitely think it fits the bill here.

F.W.I.W. I also would not think that Terre d'Hermes belongs in this list, but that's just my opinion!

GS

I forgot to add:

Un Jardin Mediterranee by Hermes

The fig, oleander and cedar are amazing. Both men and women love it. It's like a fresh garden and works well with warm weather.

EDIT: Orange Verte by Hermes is another good citrus as well.

Last edited:
I have been using Azzaro Chrome - very fresh and clean. I tried Guerlain Vetiver as well, but there's something about it that I don't like - small hint of tobacco/earthiness. I also sniff the Mugler from time to time - it is a bit sour or "pickley". I'm new to B&B, don't have the breadth of knowledge compare to some others here...just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom