What's new

Advice on Blades and Frequency of Changing Blades

Hello, all,

This is my first post to Badger and Blade. What a great web site! I am new to DE shaving, about two months now. I have a Merkur Classic Safety Razor, Straight. I have a heavy beard and sensitive skin.

I just bought the 110 Sample Pack from Amazon:
5 FEATHER Hi-Stainless (Japan)
5 KAI (Japan)
5 BLUE BIRD (Europe)
5 DERBY (Turkey)
5 ASTRA Superior Stainless (Russia)
5 ASTRA Superior Platinum (Russia)
5 SUPER-MAX Platinum (India)
5 SUPER-MAX Stainless (India)
5 TRIG Silver Edge Stainless (Pakistan)
5 GILLETTE 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russia)
10 TREET Classic (Pakistan)
10 LORD Super Chrome (Egypt)
5 LORD Super Stainless Classic (Egypt)
5 LORD Platinum Class (Egypt)
5 LORD Super Stainless (Egypt)
5 SHARK Super Stainless (Egypt)
5 SHARK Super Chrome (Egypt)
5 CROWN Super Stainless (Egypt)
5 ASCO Super Stainless (Egypt)
5 BIGBEN Super Stainless (Egypt)

I have been using the Merkur blades and Derby blades. I find the Derby's better. I have been very careful but have been getting razor burn on the bottom of my neck. This seems to happen more with the Merkur's. I have also been changing my blades every two days. I get more irritation if I go beyond two days.

Is it my technique? Blades?

I would be happy for any recommendations on blades and advice on the above. Thanks so much.

Welcome to the B&B team. I'm a relative newcomer myself. I can't comment on your technique, but I also replace my blades after two shaves. Astra Superior Platinums are the current sweet spot for me. The perfect combo of sharp/smooth for my face, and $16 per 100 on eBay. That breaks down to 8 cents per shave. Works for me. Welcome again. The answers you seek are here.

Welcome to B&B!

Razor burn and irritation are both good indications that you are using more pressure than you think. Try for negative pressure. If there is more irritation on one side than the other, blade angle and growth direction may also be factors.

Your beard may grow in a different direction than you think. Mine reverses direction halfway between my chin and larynx. Once I figured that out and went WTG in that area, my shaves improved.

Welcome. Take things slowly and no pressure. Prepping well before the shave will help out also. One other thing, don't be stingy with the soap/ cream you are using. You want a good protective lather.

Welcome to B&B.

Usually, new shavers have problems with their technique rather than the blades. The two stumbling blocks many new shavers face is learning the correct blade angle and not putting pressure on the blade. Most new shavers have used cartridges and, as a result, have developed poor shaving habits. However, the one area that cannot be emphasized enough is NO PRESSURE on the blade. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. To assure this I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with my pinky resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. For blade angle take a look at here.

Before putting the razor to your face you should map the grain on your face so you know which way the grain of your beard grows. You can use http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1168/919589791_d3bf0522a0_o.jpg as a guide. The first pass should be with the grain, whichever direction that is, with subsequent passes across the grain. Initially, until your technique is good, against the grain passes should be avoided.

You have a nice collection of blades. Most shavers depending on the blade get 2 or 3 shaves per blade. Since they are inexpensive, I wouldn't push this.

Hope this helps. :biggrin1:

Since you are new to all this, be creful to not blame the blade for a bad shave. I suggest sticking to one pack a time in order to get anfair idea of what works for you. Changing up the equipment often wilelearnig can trip you up.

Change blades when they begin to pull at the beard. Many guys are able to get more than 3 shaves out of a blade.

Welcome to B&B. This is all great advice. I would just like to re-emphasize the blade angle and pressure. Light short strokes and practice and you'll be alright. :thumbup1:

Welcome to the B. Good advice already given, but I think the most important thing to remember is the pressure thing. You may think you're going very light, but the razor burn says that's not so. Try using just the weight of the razor as you shave. That may feel too light to you, but just doing it will give a very nice shave. As you continue learning your technique will improve quickly. Good luck. :thumbup:

Welcome to B&B!

I think a review of this Wiki page would be helpful: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Getting_started_wetshaving

The advice above is all good. Go slow and work on your technique, especially using no pressure to push the razor into the skin. Stick with "with the grain" (WTG) passes for a couple weeks until you get to know your face and beard. Most of us get about three shaves per blade, but that is only an average. Get comfortable with the process and if that means changing out your blade daily, do it. You will have plenty of time later to experiment with stretching out your blades.

I'm glad you joined us. Please keep us posted as to your progress.

As far as blades, you'll have to figure that out for yourself, unfortunately. Just get a good sampler, and try 'em all(the one you got is pretty gnarly). What works for one man may not work for another. For instance, lots of folks love Feathers, I absolutely hate them. Some folks hate Derby's, but for me they give the best, smoothest, most BBS shaves. Some say Shark's are crap, for me they are almost as good as Derby's. The old addage YMMV applies greatly in this regard.

Last edited:
I have the same sample pack. Ive used about three blades from each pack. One blade from one brand for three shaves then moved on to a different brand. Then start over after you have tried them all. You may find after your technique improves that you might like a brand that you previously did not like. This is my 3rd sample pack. I got this one because it had a lot of brands that i had not tried. My favorite out of the pack is the ASCO.

I find that most blades are good for at least three shaves and I usually toss them after the third regardless. I find that usually the 2nd and 3rd shave are better than the 1st.

Both my prep and my razor technique have evolved over the years and raazor burn is no longer an issue and even nicks are very rare - usually resulting from a momentary lapse of attention rather than poor technique - I find that no pressure and short strokes, especially in areas where the geography is varied - around the mouth, right under the nose and on the chin work best. I like a heavy razor and allow the weight of the razor to do the work.

For the first 2 or so months, it's ALWAY your technique at fault. It's only once you've developed a base skill level that you can start noticing the differences between blades.

Welcome to Badger & Blade! I would echo the advice already given; particularly relating to too much pressure. I usually get 4-5 shaves from a blade but you may get fewer.

I started DE shaving three weeks ago. Now I shave in the shower with NO mirror. I use a Edwin Jagger DE89L with a Feather Blade (my favorite) so far with the two minor nicks I got with my Fusion. I found the Feather did give me razor burn the FIRST time, but the second time using some J-Hooking and Buffing I got that BBS shave with NO nicks and NO razor burns. I now cork my Feather Blade before I use it and they last me about 4-5 shaves althought 2-4 are the best. It also depends on beard and skin type on how often you will have to change your blade. I have also tried Mekur blades and they pull and I get more cuts and nicks with Derby's than Feather Blades. I recently bought some Dorco ST-301's they have good reviews and more forgiving than Feather Blades. Today I used my NEW Feather Stainless with a Feather Blade, all I can say is BBSmooooth! Bottom line, it IS trial and error. Have fun shaving and hope this information helps. Also check out You Tube mantic59 here is the link, I learned lots just by watching his videos. Here is the link for part 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhIy9rgWQU

Last edited:
Top Bottom