What's new

Barber shop that's starting to give Straight Razor shaves

http://www.rockbarbers.com/

My son just came back from this barber and got a straight razor shave for $35. It took an hour. 2 lather/hot towel preps, 1 oil prep, then the shave with a disposable straight - sounds like it was a Dovo. Anyway, 2 full passes at a leisurely pace, and then all the time that's needed for touchups to get a smooth in all directions shave. Also, SHE shaves all the way around the neck with the straight as well. Colorado does not ban the use of traditional straights, but she isn't using them because she can't get honing for them. My son gave it thumbs up all around.

They server beer!!! And, they have a putting green set up in the corner. You can challenge them for 10% off products you buy.

I just had to post it, even though I haven't been there yet. Louisville is just up the Boulder Turnpike from Denver or about 30 minutes away from DIA if you take the toll road.

Sounds perfect, a real man hideaway. I'm tempted but I'd need to buy a hell of a lot of product at 10% off to cover the airfare!

Nice to hear that someone actually got a decent straight shave at a barber (in the USA), most report utter disappointment.

What a great sounding place. Beer, a putting green and a straight shave. I guess you could just take your own straight down and see if they're happy to use that.

We've got a great new place in the Lansing, Michigan area called The Shave. It's a new, traditional barber shop that gives straight blade shaves. For anyone in the area, it's located in Okemos near the corner of Okemos Road and Jolly.

We've got a great new place in the Lansing, Michigan area called The Shave.
Do you know if they use a solid straight vs a disposable blade straight? I know many states have outlawed solid straights for health reasons, but I don't know if Michigan is one of them.

I had a straight shave with a disposable straight at a Jude's Barbershop in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area. Big disappointment.

Do you know if they use a solid straight vs a disposable blade straight? I know many states have outlawed solid straights for health reasons, but I don't know if Michigan is one of them.

I had a straight shave with a disposable straight at a Jude's Barbershop in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area. Big disappointment.

I went to Jude's in Lansing about a year ago for a straight blade shave and it was horrible.

The Shave opened in Lansing a couple of months later and, after my bad experience at Jude's, was hesitant to try them. I got my hair cut there and told them about the bad time at Jude's and the owner (Rick) explained to me that the only people in Michigan who are allowed to give straight blade shaves are people trained at a barber school and there are no trained barbers working for Jude's. The next time I went in, I got a shave and it was great.

I am not sure if they're using solid straights or disposable straights at The Shave. I wasn't into the whole traditional shaving thing enough at the time to pay attention. But I do strongly recommend The Shave. They've got a pretty active Facebook site.

Top Bottom