What's new

Gillette: Greens vs. Yellers . . .

Until recently Gillette Yellers were my favorite. I tried the Blacks but they did not shave as smoothly on my face. I have never tried the Greens and see they are more readily available that Yellers on the net.

Can anyone tell me the difference?

Discuss, compare and contrast:

:001_huh:

The Green's are just yellows with a little bleue added :tongue_sm

Yellows are Russian, as are the Green 'Super Stainless' and run out of the St Petersburg Productions factory (Part P&G owned)

Blacks are Indian, along with the Green 'Permasharp'. I don't know which factory they come from there.

I've never seen any blacks out of St Petersburg, although there were some that were called "7 O'Clock Platinum" in a blue box, some called them 7 O'Clock Blues. I did not see them much, but I believe they were the Russian equivalents of the Blacks IIRC.

Some swear by the Blacks, Others say the Yellows are better. As always, YMMV.

On the differences between the Green varieties, the Indian Permasharps were universally liked over the Russian Super Stainless until recent times when the Indian Greens became less plentiful. Most sellers stock the Russian Greens.

Since you liked the Yellows over the Blacks, just go with the Green Super Stainless. Plentiful, cheap if you know where to look.

For what it's worth,
I just opened a pack of greens from my sample pack, it's the third type of blade i've ever used and i emmidiately noticed that it seems very smooth and gives me a closer shave than the white or black wilkinsons.

The Indian greens are very good blades. I didn't at all like the yellows. I have found, though probaby not universally true, that people tend to like one and not the other beteween the two. I think it likely depends on the razor you're using. For me, in a Slim, the greens were fairly sharp and very smooth. The yellows may have been a little sharper, but they tore me up something fierce. I've never tried the Russian greens as they aren't coated, and non-coated blades just aren't as smooth.

Last edited:
I've never tried the Russian greens as they aren't coated, and non-coated blades just aren't as smooth.

The yellows are my go to blades (after about 2 years of trying different blades). I plan to try the Russian greens again, but the comment above makes me leery to try them ( I tried them about 18 months ago and do not have fond memories). Un-coated blades have never worked well for me.

I've gotten very good results from Russian Yellow, as well as the Russian and Indian Greens.

FWIW, I prefer the Russian-made Gillettes to the Indian ones but all
are fine blades.

Just did a shave with a Russian Green yesterday and it was very very good.
If they always stay that good, the greens would replace Feathers, and that's saying a lot.

Just did a shave with a Russian Green yesterday and it was very very good.
If they always stay that good, the greens would replace Feathers, and that's saying a lot.

They do stay that good. that is why the greens are #1 and feather is #3. #2 is pace which I find locally for 80 cents for 5.

Also I have yellows and blacks in the mail so I hope they are just as good.

Last edited:
Until recently Gillette Yellers were my favorite. I tried the Blacks but they did not shave as smoothly on my face. I have never tried the Greens and see they are more readily available that Yellers on the net.

Can anyone tell me the difference?

Discuss, compare and contrast:

:001_huh:

I believe the yellows are coated (teflon/ptfe?) and the greens are not. I have no idea about the blacks.

The blacks were my "as good as Feathers" blades, but were too expensive.

The greens are a terrific price. .14 each

Greens are ok but I prefer Gillette Super Thin to all other current production Gillette blades. The ones from Thailand and Vietnam are both top notch.
Wp

I believe the yellows are coated (teflon/ptfe?) and the greens are not. I have no idea about the blacks.

The Russia Greens (Super Stainless) are just stainless, the Yellows are coated, but I don't know in what, the Indian Greens (Perma Sharp) are coated in something -probably some sort of ceramic or chrome, and the Blacks are coated with platinum.

I just tried a yellow but I dont think it was the blade for me. I had to tap out after 2 shaves because it wasnt smooth enough for me. I'll revisit them in a couple of weeks to make sure it wasnt a bad blade. I was kind of surprised that it wasnt as good as the greens were or at least close.

Greens are ok but I prefer Gillette Super Thin to all other current production Gillette blades. The ones from Thailand and Vietnam are both top notch.
Wp

I happened to have an unused Thai Super Thin laying on the towel and shaved with it yesterday. Very impressive, smooth and sharp. Now to see how long it lasts.

This is getting to be difficult. I have found 2 blades to replace the Feathers, of which I have about 100.

Gillette Green and Super Thin.

The green & yellow 7 o'clocks and the swedes have given me my most painful, worst shaves.

I picked up a couple packs of the yellows again to see how they perform with my technique having been dialed in a little more. For now I'm still fearful of them.

I've never tried Russian or Indian Greens, Yellows or Blacks.

If anyone would like to trade with me, I'd consider trading:

- Two Super Irridium blades; and
- Two of the NOS Gillette Bleue blades

for two Russian Greens, two Russian Yellows, two Indian green "Permasharps" and two 'Super Thins'

Each pays own shipping.

If interested, please PM me.

Jeff in Boston

Top Bottom