What's new

Checkin: 5 days to go...

Yesterday I got my blade sampler pack.

Today I got my vintage Gillette Super Speed (w1). Not an expert, but it looks to be in pretty good shape for a 60 year old shaver.

Now it's a 5 day wait for my brush (Omega Stripey) and a tube of Proraso to start (curse Amazon for holding my order a couple days before shipping). Hope to use both soaps and cremes, I'm sure before long I will have a collection. My wife is sure to think I am nuts, since I'm usually a simple soap/shampoo/deodorant/goo guy - no aftershave or other fragrances for me.

Looking forward to my first wet shaves! Loved the post about the 'resurgence of manly rituals'. I remember when I was a kid, my dad had a brush, bowl, and soap puck stashed in his night stand - but I don't think he ever used it. Learned to shave myself, and being a young lad at the time never stopped to think there might be options besides the cartridge razors at the grocery store. Used to be a Mach 3 guy, then realized that was WAY too expensive and I was using cheapo dual blade disposables (the big pack at Costco). About six months ago I stopped using goo in favor of oil, which seemed to be better than the goo - but something still seems to be missing. After reading yet another article online praising wet shaving, I've decided to take the plunge.

Hopefully the wait does not force me to go on a buying spree. Was able to resist buying a more expensive brush until I could learn proper technique and figure out what I like, but another 5 days might just push me over the edge. Already looking at a couple more razors, brushes, bowls, soaps, cremes.

One thing I've not yet figured out is an aftershave. There seem to be SOOO many choices. What would be good for a beginner? Generally I've not used aftershave, but once in a while I have used an Old Spice balm which was nice.

Looking forward to next week!

Welcome to B&B.Looks like you will be set once everything comes in.As far as aftershaves go,just pick something out,you will get more.

Paul

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B.
Yeah, the waiting is the hardest part.
Checking online for the tracking every 5 minutes, looking outside to make sure you didn't miss the delivery guy, standing beside the mailbox doing the "hurry up and get here" dance.
Ahhh, good time, good times. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom