What's new

stainless steel vs. carbon steel

looking at a couple of razors to buy. one is stainless, the other carbon steel. basically the same item, just different blades. i have several razors but dont really know what kind of steel they are (family heirlooms etc). which would be the preferred way to go? one stay sharp longer? easier to maintain the edge? just seeking a bit of advice as both razors i am looking at cost about the same.

I am under the impression that carbon takes an edge easier, but stainless holds it better. Stainless is harder to hone though.

I'm sure someone will be along to correct me soon if I'm wrong! :blushing:

Get it in Stainless. I'm willing to be most if not all your razors are carbon, so getting another carbon won't be any fun. You'll need to try out stainless for variety's sake! Maybe you'll even like it more than your carbon razors.

From what I understand, a stainless blade sharpens just as easily as a carbon. A stainless blade will probably protect better against rust. I'm not sure if a stainless will hold an edge better than the carbon.

My experience is that stainless is harder to hone than carbon but both hold their edge for about the same length of time.

High quality carbon steel is marginally harder than the martinsitic stainless steel (440C) used in most SS razors thus, a carbon steel razor would be expected to hold its edge somewhat better (longer) than a stainless one. Stainless steel is not likely to rust under normal usage, but martinsitic grades are not as resistant as the austinitic grades, which are too soft to make good blades. All stainless steels tend to gall, and this is what makes stainless steel blades difficult to hone. The best approach is to use higher grit hones and more time. As mentioned, the differences are slight so buy the one you like.

Here is an edge on a stainless razor (Gold Dollar 800), fresh off the hones, and then after slightly more than a month of constant use.

Pics at 400x

I used a Dovo white coated canvas and vintage horsehide strop for daily stropping.

I like stainless:thumbup1:

(I like carbon too!:thumbup:)

Attachments

• $after 1month.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 145
High quality carbon steel is marginally harder than the martinsitic stainless steel (440C) used in most SS razors thus, a carbon steel razor would be expected to hold its edge somewhat better (longer) than a stainless one. Stainless steel is not likely to rust under normal usage, but martinsitic grades are not as resistant as the austinitic grades, which are too soft to make good blades. All stainless steels tend to gall, and this is what makes stainless steel blades difficult to hone. The best approach is to use higher grit hones and more time. As mentioned, the differences are slight so buy the one you like.
And here I thought you were an fccexpert, not a bctexpert....:wink: :biggrin:

(Inside joke. Nothing to see here. Keep moving along, folks. Thank-you...)

And here I thought you were an fccexpert, not a bctexpert....:wink: :biggrin:

(Inside joke. Nothing to see here. Keep moving along, folks. Thank-you...)

groan.

(Do they really divide austenitic and martensitic "steels" into grades? Granted, I'm not a materials scientist, but grading based on phases seems weird...)

groan.

(Do they really divide austenitic and martensitic "steels" into grades? Granted, I'm not a materials scientist, but grading based on phases seems weird...)

Yes, for example common grades of martinistic stainless are 410, 414, 416, 420, 431 and 440. There are also subdivisions of many of these grades.

Common austenitic grades 304, 316, 317, 321, and 347

Top Bottom