What's new

Weenerdog's shave journal and journey to the perfect shave

Well I figure now that I have a hang of a straight shave that it would be about time to get a journal going. Some days ill put alot some days not so much, pictures and videos to come.

Had just about the closest to a perfect shave this morning. Used my Blue steel today. The razor at the bottom of the pic. Stoped it about 50 times. I got my sampler from QCS the other day so I let SWMBO pick out the scent and she went with Briar. Perfect warm scent for a 13 deg day outside. Started to whip up some lather with my newly restored fuller handle with a 22mm Pure knot. Cherry soon filled the room while the vanilla slowly made its way up my nose. I then went to work slowly taking my time and paying more attention to my angles on my neck. Low and behold not a single cut, nick, or even weaper. Did a full 3 pass and still nothing, the shaving gods must have been watching down on me. Finished up like my normal routine washing off with some cold water and cleaned all my gear up. Went out and strted getting ready for work then it actually hit me. I had one of the best shaves of all time. Went and sat down with the wifey to watch my morning, noon news, and she kissed my cheek and goes "hun I think that was your best shave ever" as shes examining my face for cuts and blood.

proxy.php

Well todays could have gone better. My power went out right beofre I was about to get in the shower. When I got out I stroped my Sheffield, in the dark and then went to the other bathroom cuz it has a window. Whipped up some QCS basilica, first time using the scent. While its not my favorite scent out of the bunch it was still good and produced awsome lather. It had been 2 days since my last shave so there was a little tugging at first and trying to get a lil more at first I sliced my chin pretty decent. Part was in me trying to rush a bit. I left for work a little early because I wanted to get my hair cut today. Since moving I have yet to stop at the barber shop in my little 1 stop light town and when I was driving past I notcied they were open. What an awsome place. The shop was about a 10 by 10 room with one barber chair and 3 chairs for waiting. All types old shaving and hair stuff all over the walls and the classic barber smell just filled the place. After talking with the guy turns out he has owned the shop for 20 years. He was telling me that he only works on appointments but that he could squeeze me in real quick, which I was really thankful for. A couple other older gentlemen came in and were waiting while he was cutting my hair and we had a real nice chat. I starting talking about shaving with straights and he was surprised that anyone still used them expecially someone as young as me. Over all tho One of the best hair cuts if not the best that I have ever had and I will be going back to him. Just made my day even better.

Hope the cut wasn't too serious :001_unsur
The cuts come quick when rushing, as long as you know what you did wrong you can learn from it and avoid it next time :001_smile

Good to hear you at least got a great haircut :thumbup1:

That's cool. I have went to several barber shops around here trying to find one with that great old-timey men's hangout feel but none of them are like that.

I ended up just buying some clippers and cutting my own hair(or letting my wife do it... :blink:)

Well todays shave was great. Decided to make some superlather with some QCS Key lime and some ogalla bayrum. SOOOO smooth and nice. The key lime was awsome and the bay rum just added a hint of spice. No cut or nothing today. I would write more but have to run. Here are pics from the shave from the other day.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It appears you are doing very well, keep it up. Thanks for posting the nice pictures.

Very good!! :thumbup1:

Thank you fellas. Todays shave went real well. Used some QCS Almond, love the scent. I first mowed down my beard real quick with my merkur open comb because I had 2 and a half days of growth and just wanted to jump into a great shave without having to get it down with a straight. Used my blue steel after. I also started to use my non dominate hand today. Figure I should start to get use to it to make getting the other side of my face easier. I nicked my nose on the XTG pass, wasnt bad just a tiny bubble of blood but with the crystal rock it stopped it real quick. did 3 passes after using the DE and had a BBS shave. Finished it off with some Rite aid brand blue aftershave.

Great post a shaving stories. Just curious do you have a pinkie toe? Just kidding.

Thanks.... Hahaha. yea I do. but both my feet and almost all my toes have, at some time, been broken from various skating, or bmx incidents, and a piece of steel dropping on my foot crushing one of my sets of steel toe boots. Luckely i still have all 10 toes.

Well sorry I havent wrote in a long time. With the holidays n everythimg it has been busy. I quit my job as a security guard manly because of horrible managememt and started a job seting up offices office furniture amd other work spaces. Mot the greatest but.great managementgreat workers better pay and a closer drive. Still joimimg the navy in a year tho. With all the craziness goimg on havent beem shaving as much. I sanded the cut out my strop finally. But ive been usimg my de for the past week n half justto.save on time. Last weekend I was goimg to have a straight shave.vc but I emded up gettimg.really sick so that was a nogo. hopefully this weekend I can get so,e time to myself to finish up a xoup e project razors ive bewn workimf on.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Well sorry I havent wrote in a long time. With the holidays n everythimg it has been busy. I quit my job as a security guard manly because of horrible managememt and started a job seting up offices office furniture amd other work spaces. Mot the greatest but.great managementgreat workers better pay and a closer drive. Still joimimg the navy in a year tho. With all the craziness goimg on havent beem shaving as much. I sanded the cut out my strop finally. But ive been usimg my de for the past week n half justto.save on time. Last weekend I was goimg to have a straight shave.vc but I emded up gettimg.really sick so that was a nogo. hopefully this weekend I can get so,e time to myself to finish up a xoup e project razors ive bewn workimf on.

Excellent! You are still using the straight! :thumbup1:

If you have difficulty finding time for your straight shaves, you might try shaving in the evenings. I find the quality and thoroughness of my straight shaves is so high that I still look fine in the morning and right through the day. Then again my beard does not grow very fast.

keep on the straight even if it means doing a one pass WTG in the evening and a quick cleanup in the morn with a DE. I do this every once in a while when the straight shaves aren't as good as they should be...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
keep on the straight even if it means doing a one pass WTG in the evening and a quick cleanup in the morn with a DE. I do this every once in a while when the straight shaves aren't as good as they should be...

That's an idea! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom