What's new

Night Shavers - ASB in the morning as well?

For those of you who shave in the evening, before bed, do you also apply Aftershave Balm in the morning as well (for further soothing after a somewhat irritable shave)?

I've just had mine :shaving: and I think trying to achieve BBS really irritated my skin. The redness has subsided a bit now, but it still stings around the jawline where I really dug into it. Applying some Proraso liquid aftershave balm seemed to have helped cool my face down a bit.

When I wake up tomorrow morning, I might apply a different scent balm for further cooling effects (by which time the irritation should have already subsided). Do you the reckon this is a good idea, or should I simply stick with a moisturiser and not bother with the ASB?

I guess why so many people prefer to shave in the morning is the allow the ASB to linger throughout the day :wink2: I absolutely love the Proraso liquid ASB! :thumbup1:

I shave at night as well do to the same fact. Im still learning the ways of the straight . I do get a bit of irritation around the neck area. So I will put more ASB on in the morning. It seems to help reduce the irritation as the day goes on. I will even apply more before bed the same day as well.
Seems to help.

I shave at night and I used to apply the Nivea ASB again in the morning if it was still irritated. The last couple of weeks I stopped using ASB altogether and now just use a witch hazel with alcohol which I can splash on anytime.

I used to get plenty of irritation when I was first starting in the summer. I thought that ASB was the answer, until I started using an alcohol splash or witch hazel. My irritation was reduced to the point that I could start shaving everyday without trouble. If I had a choice now for irritation, it is witch hazel. If it is an issue of dry skin, (which I also get), I apply the balm within an hour or so of the shave.
Be sure to tell us what you decide to do and the difference you see.

Good lather important too. I'm still learning, better now.
I'm using witch hazel and / or splash and balm. Morning wash and moisturizing again. Last shave was my best shave :001_tt2: I have dry skin but i think alcohol good for me and for some people. Keep try :001_tt2:

I am a night shaver, but I never use a AS Balm. If I have a shave that results in irritation, I will use a block of alum, wait a bit, wash it off and then an alcohol based AS. In the morning I don't do a thing as I've found for me, the best way to get rid of irritation due to shaving is time.

But if applying a moisturizer or AS in the morning works for you - or you just like it - then do it. Can't see the harm.

-jim

I generally don't have any irritation in the mornings, but sometimes I do have a few dry patches. If I'm in a hurry, I'll just slap on a little ASB in the morning and it does the trick.

When shaving at night I use witch hazel and ASB, so the balm is already on the counter.

Sometimes I shave in the morning , sometimes at night. I do use an AS Balm the next morning but only in the cooler months. I dont use AS Balm in the summer.

I'm an evening shaver and since getting better at making a lather I've noticed a less of a need for a moisturizer or ASB the next day. Sometimes I do it just for the scent. I also have oily skin so moisturizers tend to make my skin too oily. However if it is a bad irritating shave, which does happen, I will moisturize or apply an ASB the next day.

"Aftershave balm" is just a fancy name for moisturizer that let's them you charge more for it.

(OK, that's not entirely fair, every ASB has a different set of ingredients that perform different functions on the skin, but at the most basic level it's just a skin-healing balm. You could use it on your chapped knees if you wanted to, skin is skin.)

I am a frequent night shaver and if I feel as though I have had a rough shave I use some witch hazel and a very small amount of ASB.. In the morning I will then a apply a generous amount of ASB..

I always go antiseptic after a bad shave, and in the moring as well as that evening I would apply Savlon (Novartis version) or Sudocrem. I am not sure if they are available in Australia but any generic Cetrimide cream will do.

The shave the night before should have been really bad otherwise I never use anything in the morning. It sometimes happens when I am trying a new blade and want more from it than it can give.

"Aftershave balm" is just a fancy name for moisturizer that let's them you charge more for it.

(OK, that's not entirely fair, every ASB has a different set of ingredients that perform different functions on the skin, but at the most basic level it's just a skin-healing balm. You could use it on your chapped knees if you wanted to, skin is skin.)

Exactly. Various lotions (Aloe Vera, Lanolin, etc.) can work just as well. Eucerin cream is what I use if I really have a issue with a bad blade. Once in a very blue moon does this happen though.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I am a night shaver for I have to be at work very early in the wee hours of the morning. After shaving at night, I will always cut my aftershaves with some type of balm or lotion mixing them in my hand and rubbing it on my face before going to bed. This soothes my face and moisturizes it and shields my face from taking that full alcohol burn of an SD40% AS.

However, upon rising after a night's sleep. You have to consider that while sleeping, your natural oils and sweat glands were at work, making your face oily and shiny, and also clogging your pores. You will want to start your day with a freshly washed and moisturized face.

In order to save time on those early morning risings, I will just splash warm water on my face which breaks up the oil, sweat and balms or lotions you used the night before. I grab a cotton pad soaked with Biore brand triple action astringent. http://www.biore.com/usa/products/product_detail.aspx?pid=9

It cleans my face, unclogs the pores after a nights sleep, tightens and tones the skin and has camphor, witch hazel & menthol and a little bit of alcohol which helps cools and soothes any left over razor burn & irritation.

What I like best about it, is it has 2% salylic acid in it which is there to treat acne bumps, but I find it also helps in the prevention of razor bumps and ingrown hairs. It will moisturize and condition your face without drying it out. You can buy it at wal-mart, wal greens, cvs and others.

Last edited:
I'm a morning shaver, but I apply an aftershave balm after washing my face at night (as a moisturizer). I only do this during the winter months.

I shave at night and I also apply ASB in the morning.

Not for irritation but just due to the fact I have dry skin and it helps (only use it in the winter.) The reasons I use ASB instead of regular moisturizer are because 1) It's actually cheaper than the moisturizer I use, and 2)The balm scents match my colognes.

Top Bottom