What's new

Mild Razor

I've been shaving with a EJ DE89L and Merkur HD for about 18 months and no matter what I always get some razor burn on my neck. My dad suggested that I try a Bic sensitive disposable and for the past 2 months I've been having amazing shaves. No burn, prickly feeling after shaving, etc.

I love using the DE and I have a lot of blades to use. Is there a DE that compares to the BIC? I don't want anything vintage or used. I was looking at getting a Feather Popular. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

MikeC,
That's funny... I started pretty much the same thread earlier today in this forum, and the Feather Popular was recommended to me. I just asked for opinions on Parker razors and am waiting to see what comes in.
Simon

Hey NR I didn't look at the threads before I started mine then I noticed yours after.

Same thread different title. :001_smile

You can get a Superspeed Blue, which is mild. That is what I am currently using.

There is also the weishi which is a similar kind of super speed copy and that one is mild as well.

Feather Popular is mild and it is a good starter as well.

Many options, check the deals section perhaps you can find a super speed there at a descent price.

David

The Merkur 33c is a nice mild razor. It was my first that I bought new that wasnt a Vintage and its a great go to razor

You could also try a Schick Krona, Gillette Tech.. These are pretty mild compared to your current setup. Also these razors can be found NOS.

Last edited:
When those two, especially the EJ, give you a sour neck it is most likely you. Technique (blade angle & pressure) or prep are the usual suspects. You could try a Gillette Tech since that is about the mildest razor around that still gets the job done. They can be had for very little money (check the B/S/T) so it won't be costly to try that out.

Though the Bic sensitive has a single blade it is harder to go wrong with your blade angle since it is more or less guided by the plastic bits on both sides (up & down) of the blade. So my (wild) guess is that you will have to work on your angles with the DE.

MikeC,
I guess that answers that. I didn't want anything used either, so I guess it will be the Feather or Weishi. I believe the others mentioned above are all vintage, unless somebody has an NOS one.
Simon

I just received an unused (British) Tech off ebay (two actually.) I had a single-pass WTG shave. I am shocked. The shave was easier and quicker than any I've done with any cartridge razor, and closer than 99% of them. Almost BBS despite almost trying for a mediocre shave. No irritation at all.

I'm kind of confused. How can Gillette keep claiming their modern razors are improvements? It's false advertising, just plain lies.

A question...

Are you shaving Against the grain with the DEs?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sticking to the Bic Sensitive if it's working for you. You could always sell off your DEs and blades in the BST forum.

About six months ago I got my Father a Feather Portable and he thought it was a bit too aggressive and the handle was too short. Recently, I gave him the Feather Popular and he says it's great. Hard to say though, everybody has different skin and different technique.

I just received an unused (British) Tech off ebay (two actually.) I had a single-pass WTG shave. I am shocked. The shave was easier and quicker than any I've done with any cartridge razor, and closer than 99% of them. Almost BBS despite almost trying for a mediocre shave. No irritation at all.

I'm kind of confused. How can Gillette keep claiming their modern razors are improvements? It's false advertising, just plain lies.
Exactly... Classic shaving is far better than the cartridge style razors and esp shaving cream goop in the can. The reason is simple $$$$$ they make more money selling plastic crap than plated metal razors and the production in general is cheaper with the new technology although i think it would be really cool if gillette ever did a small remake of a de razor and made a limited number of them available and made them out of metal. I would pay 100 + for a new remade fat boy or similar razor by gillete.

The Feather Popular won't break the bank either. I got one just because of the name, figured it'd be a good razor. I like it, always does a real good shave, and I would rate it as a mild razor. I've grown to like my Merkur 2 and 3 piece, but I look forward to using the Feather Popular when it sneaks into my rotation.

Last edited:
A question...

Are you shaving Against the grain with the DEs?

I'm shaving with the grain 2 passes. My beard growth is down except by my throat the hair grows left to right. I could do 1 pass and some touch ups around my jaw/chin and be good to go. My beard isn't really heavy or thick I shave every other day and could shave in the afternoon and look clean shaven the rest of the next day.

......My dad suggested that I try a Bic sensitive disposable and for the past 2 months I've been having amazing shaves. No burn, prickly feeling after shaving, etc.

I love using the DE and I have a lot of blades to use. Is there a DE that compares to the BIC? I don't want anything vintage or used. I was looking at getting a Feather Popular. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

There really is no DE that compares with a Bic sensitive, in my opinion. Probably the closest thing would be the Schick Krona, but you said you didn't want vintage or used.

Perhaps a Schick injector? Seems a lot closer to the Bic than any DE I can think of, although certainly the older injectors are more aggressive than the Bic.

I like the Bic, too, and have been using it off and on. I bought an 18-pack on sale for $2.99, so the price is certainly right. My Slim set on 2 or 3 is about like the Bic for aggressiveness; but, again, it's a vintage item.

Top Bottom