What's new

PIF to Troops in Iraq

Hi everyone

I know its been a long while since I posted here, been a little busy getting ready for deployment and then deploying. I am now in Iraq at a small FOB with 2-14 Cavalry

I am the only Chaplain on this FOB, we dont have any sort of PX and I run some supplies out of the chapel - toiletries and snacks

Just wanted to post here if anyone want to do a PIF to some great Troopers.

Ive had a few guys eying my shave set up and jealous of the fact that I deployed with a years worth of soap and blades for what they all spend in a month!

If anyone is interested just send me a PM and Ill get with you

Thanks!!

Chappy

Sorry, I don't know much about this stuff, but do they not issue those fellas shaving gear anymore? If not, that is a real shame.

I'd assume they get a small stipend (my guess is a few bucks a month for toiletries if it's itemized) to buy disposables and canned goo with. Is wetshave gear even available over there?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Sorry, I don't know much about this stuff, but do they not issue those fellas shaving gear anymore? If not, that is a real shame.

There is not a stipend for toiletries, it comes out of pocket like you and I.

Throw into it that there is not an Art of Shaving or a Macys or a Walgreens or Bed bath and beyond for anyone to go shopping at like there is for you and I.
In many locations there isn't even a PX where they can get canned goo and refill cartridges.

I'm grateful for those who think of others in trying times and in positions of hardship.

I salute you guys who pour your hearts and your shave dens out for a little comfort for those guys who are putting everything they have, including their very existence, on the line.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion, but you might want to seek out a volunteer in CONUS to receive all the donations, then ship it overseas in one shot. It will cut the logistical headaches to a minimum.

Sorry I have not posted anything since my original - I was sent down to another FOB for a meeting and got stuck due to weather.

I appreciate all the pm's sent and the guys will be grateful for the PIF

to answer the questions

unlike other FOBs, we are a very small outpost. Just our Cav squadron. We dont have a PX here, about once every two moths we get a px trailer sent up for a few days.

Mostly our guys rely on supplies sent from home and from boxes shipped to me here in the chapel. I keep some shelves stocked with what is sent.

thank you for all your support!!

ps. who is a administrator that can change my banner to active duty? I was still a veteran when I joined here and have since come back to active duty

Jim

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
What are some of the needs? If you post specifics you may get more response. I would be happy to help. Just need an idea of what you need sent. If I spent more time at home I would gladly be a mailing point. But I travel a lot for work and am not sure how that would work. I am open to the idea though.

As far as I am concerned I owe my entire lifestyle to the men and women who have and currently our serving this great nation.

I will help just need to know what.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Same here. Are there some specific needs?

I was thinking through how I could help, but I would hate to give a few DE blades and no one has a DE razor, or if I gave a tube of CE Bigelow, no one would have a brush....

Like my neighbor DEStreetGlide, I travel a lot for work, but I'm on vacation until Jan 3 so I'll raise my hand to help be a distro center if need be. (Plus I need something to do while I'm home before business whisks me away to some far land....)

Last edited:
I can be the distro center if you like Chappy. I'm usually organizing packages to send to other Marines myself so I wouldn't see why I couldn't do it for others as well.

Let me know if you would for me to lead the way on it.

Same here. Are there some specific needs?

I was thinking through how I could help, but I would hate to give a few DE blades and no one has a DE razor, or if I gave a tube of CE Bigelow, no one would have a brush....

Agreed, would be good to have a list we could check against.

I think an assumption of not having a DE razor can be made. If we go ahead and start this for the troops I think anything a basic starter kit would have would be best to start off with, i.e. brush, blades, DE razor, soap/cream. W

We can move forward from there. What does everyone else think?

Gentlemen,

I will be sending a box to Chappy with 2 VDH brushes and 2 VDH brush/soap/soap bowl sets. Some Bigelow and VDH pucks as well. And several DE's, GEM's and Schick injectors. And lots of blades.

So don't let those concerns about our troops not having the right gear hold you back.

I purchased the VDH brush/bowl/soap sets for about $9/ea at my local grocery store. May I suggest others do the same?

I am sending couple of semogue brushes, DE blades and soaps. If some of folks here can send a couple/few DE handles, I think at a minimum, a few troops will be all set for a while.

Last edited:
I'm gonna put together a package as well. I don't have a ton of stuff I can throw their way, but right now I've got:

1. ball-end Tech
2. a good handful of Astras
3. Nivea Sensitive ASB
4. an alum block
5. probably some KMF and maybe the VDH starter kit as well

Top Bottom