What's new

Cigar advice

I'd really like to get more cigar related info. on selecting a cigar; sizes, types of wrapper and filler, cigar storage; choosing and maintaining a humidor. You get the idea. While I do smoke cigars and have for years it is much more occasional for me and I know we have some real aficionados on the forum and I'd really appreciate your contributions.

Last edited:
I don't really consider myself an aficionado, but I hang out at the cigar bar a lot and am friends with some of the local tobacconists...so here's what I have to offer:

I'll start with size...

When trying a new cigar I tend to go for the robusto size (or the closest to it)...there is a lot of history behind this size of cigar. I believe it is considered the current most popular size...originally known as No. 435, nicknamed the Robusto by Cuban cigar factory workers. This is a 4.78 inch by 50-ring gauge cigar. Before that was the Rothschild which is 5.0x50. Using one of these two sizes has quite a few benefits...they aren't really long resulting in them usually only taking about an hour or less to smoke so it's not a huge commitment, but with it having a thicker ring gauge for its length it allows you to still enjoy the same bold, robust flavors you would get out of a larger cigar. I also like it because if you end up not liking the cigar you picked you don't have to endure two hours of torture to get your money out of it.

In short the robusto offers more complexity than a smaller cigar with a relatively short burn time.

Other than that when selecting size it is really personal preference....do you want a smoke that changes in complexity as you smoke through it, or do you want a short smoke that probably won't get the chance to develop much? Do you want a big cigar you can just puff on for hours and relax, or a quick break?

I will mention though that there are some odd shapes out there you will find that sometimes are more hype than anything, but YMMV. For instance one of my favorite manufacturers, Drew Estate, has both "the egg" and "the wafe" which are shaped exactly how they sound. Unfortunately with the wafe being so thin the smoke gets hot easily so if you tend to puff faster you may want to avoid it. The egg is tapered at either end and while it varies in complexity the closer you get to the head/shoulder of the cigar the harsher it can get due to the taper concentrating the smoke and the heat.

Hope this helps!

Storage:

Humidor: Usually a wooden box lined with Spanish cedar. However they vary in materials and quality. One of the most important parts is the seal...to test if the seal is good stick a dollar bill over the seal and shut the humidor. Try to pull it out; if it comes out easily the seal is weak, if it takes some effort you've probably got a good seal.

While a good humidor is by far the best solution there are others.

Tupperdor: You can make your own cheap tupperdor by buying a lock and lock container, a humidification device, a hygrometer, and (optional) some Spanish cedar which can easily be obtained from old cigar boxes you can usually buy for a buck at the local cigar shop. This is a cheap alternative, but it works. I personally have three tupperdors in use as well as the two humidors I own.

Coolerdor/Igloodor: Same as a tupperdor, but bigger and more expensive, but can hold a ton of cigars depending upon the size you buy. Can fit whole boxes of cigars, which is a huge plus as it will aid in keeping cigars from "marrying".

Fridgador: Same as above, but made out of an unplugged fridge/freezer. Usually requires a little bit more complicated humidification device though. Can also fit whole boxes of cigars.

The downsides to the alternatives to a real humidor are that they have plastic walls, where a wooden humidor has the cedar lining which helps to regulate humidity. This means that it is very important that you do not overcharge your humidification device (which is why I use the type of device I use). Also, aging cigars give off gases, the most recognizable of which will be ammonia. This isn't so much of a problem with a real humidor, but the alternative methods will require you to open up your "dor" to let some of that stuff out and some fresh air in periodically.

Herfadors: Are a brand of travel humidor similar to pelican boxes, but have a humidification device and usually grooves to put cigars in. These are great for travel. There are many other travel cigar holders out there, but are usually only good for very short-term storage such as a day or so where a herfador is good for long distance travel.

There are also walk-in humidors, which unfortunately I don't have much experience with...however I've got a friend that's so nuts about cigars that he has turned an entire room in his house into a humidor.

As for humidification...I don't have a whole lot of experience with anything other than the devices I currently use. This is mostly because they are probably the most hassle-free thing I've seen. They are called Dry-mistats. They contain a crystal that when water is added to it will expand into a gel substance. They are formulated to self-regulate and keep themselves as close to 70% RH as possible. I prefer mine between 65% and 70%...too much drier it will burn harsh and fast...get it too moist and it will not stay lit well. There are many devices that are similar and work just as well from what I've read, but the ones I use are available locally for about $9 a piece, shaped like a cigar (so they don't require special mounting and can be placed right in with your cigars), pretty much last forever if you keep them clean, and I have never had a problem with them.

For a hygrometer I just use small digital ones I found at Radio Shack for $15-$20 a piece. They are locally available, accurate, and if you get one that isn't accurate there shouldn't be much issue returning them. Whatever hygrometer you decide on...make sure you get one. It is always important to monitor the RH of your storage container. When you get one use "the salt test" to calibrate it.
I've yacked too much though, hope it helps, and I'll add more later when I get the chance. Also, anyone feel free to correct/add to anything I've said on here...I've only been into this hobby for about 1-2 years and that definitely is not long enough to know it all.

Last edited:
Good tips I've never thought of using an old fridge or freezer, great affordable long term storage ideas and coupled with effective recycling. I like it!:thumbup1:

Here's a little more advice...

When trying out a cigar for the first time (or a non-gas station cigar for the first time) you have a lot of things to think about. Most of the time cigarette smokers will want something a little stronger especially if they smoke full-flavor cigarettes. Pipe smokers will want to think about this as well...you Escudo, Bracken Flake, Perique, and Balkan smokers may want something stronger. However the aromatic smokers and non-smokers will probably want to start with something much lighter.

For instance a Gran Habano Connecticut (green band) is a good light starter and they are usually relatively cheap meaning if it's not for you your regrets will be minimum. On the other end of the spectrum if it's your first rodeo (and maybe up until you're well seasoned) stay away from anything Ligero. Ligero refers to the top-most leaves of the plant which tend to be the "richest" and coincidentally tend to have high nicotine content. This is the kind of cigar that most will tell you to never smoke on an empty stomach because it will turn you green and make your head spin if you are not careful.

Whatever you do keep in mind that you are smoking a lot of tobacco when you smoke a cigar...don't overdo it! Nobody wants to be embarrassed by puking their guts out in the cigar bar bathroom because they decided they wanted the biggest baddest cigar there and couldn't handle it. Also, like with pipes, you aren't really supposed to inhale cigars, but some prefer it.

Other than that choosing a cigar is a very personal thing...you've got to figure out what you like. The best thing you can do is visit a reputable tobacconist. These guys are a wealth of information, but don't just ask for a suggestion (unless they already know your taste). Tell them some things about yourself, such as I'm new to this, but I smoke cigarettes (or a pipe or not at all), I would like something peppery, or spicy, or creamy, etc. etc. etc., these details will help them figure out what to start you off on and to get an idea of what you might like.
If you really want something flavored don't just go for the swisher sweets and things of that nature...they will turn you off to cigars because you will taste the sugar that coats the tip for a little bit and then the low quality tobacco they are made of for the rest of the smoke. Go for an infused cigar...for instance the ACID line, or the Tabak Especial, or the JAVA, or the Isla Del Sol. Don't be afraid to try these, they really are good; I smoke all of the above mentioned cigars as well as a huge variety of un-flavored cigars. Smoking is a lot like wet-shaving...you have to experiment to find what works for you, it's a personal preference, and of course YMMV.

Good tips I've never thought of using an old fridge or freezer, great affordable long term storage ideas and coupled with effective recycling. I like it!:thumbup1:

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, the fridgador is a great option...it may not look as nice as a stand-up humidor, but it has so many advantages over just owning a small 20-count humidor. I love "upcycling" as well, I feel more accomplished if I can find a cheaper way to do it myself than if I just went out and dropped money on something.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I'd really like to get more cigar related info. on selecting a cigar; sizes, types of wrapper and filler, cigar storage; choosing and maintaining a humidor. You get the idea. While I do smoke cigars and have for years it is much more occasional for me and I know we have some real aficionados on the forum and I'd really appreciate your contributions.
James:
Here you go.. :thumbup:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/

http://www.cigaradvisor.com/

Christopher :c2:

Part of what's kept me away from cigars, aside from the fact it's more expensive than pipe-smoking, is the humidor. Do I have to fuss with that if I buy a 5-pack or something, and will smoke them over a couple of months?

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Now that you have a new humidor, the first thing to do is to NOT put cigars inside. First and foremost, you must season or condition a new humidor before storing your beloved stogies. This is also true for an old humidor that hasn't been used in a while. The cedar inside of a humidor is part of the humidification system, and acts to provide humidity (and flavor) to the cigars, along with the humidification device. If the cedar has not been seasoned, then the wood will actually rob moisture from the cigars, and dry them out. This effect is the exact opposite of what you wanted when you purchased the humidor.

To season a humidor, all you need is some distilled water, a clean unscented sponge and some patience - at least for a few days. IMPORTANT - Do not use tap water in place of distilled water. Start by lightly dampening a clean sponge with distilled water, then lightly wipe down all the cedar wood inside of the humidor, including the inside lid and any dividers and/or trays. Be sure NOT to soak the cedar, you just want to rub it down lightly. Some people are opposed wiping down the humidor, however assuming you’re careful not to soak the cedar and cause it to warp, you’ll be fine. Again, just a light wipe down is all you need to do - this will give it a jumpstart in the seasoning / conditioning process.

Put the wet sponge on top of a piece of cellophane (or plastic bag) and place inside the humidor. Make sure that the sponge is not overly saturated, and not touching any wood.
NOTE: Some people opt for using a shot glass or small bowl. Fill it with distilled water, and place the shot glass (or small bowl) inside the humidor (below the tray if there is one). Be careful not to spill any water onto the Cedar, as it will damage the wood causing it to warp. What you’re doing is increasing the RH level substantially. Your new humidor is thirsty, and will soak up a lot of the water from the humidifier, therefore adding a shot glass of distilled water helps season the humidor faster. Fill your humidification device with either distilled water or a humidifying solution according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Make sure that the device is not overly saturated by letting any excess water drip out (into a sink), then wipe off any drops of water on the outside of the humidification device, and place the device inside the humidor.

Now comes the hard part, (be patient with your humidor, a little work and persistence will reward you with perfectly aged and humidified cigars), close the humidor for 2 days and wait. The next day, repeat the wipe down procedure using distilled water and the sponge, but do not leave the sponge (or shot glass), inside this time, and wait another day.
NOTE: Do not unnecessarily open the lid, you will get best results by allowing your humidor to rest and allow the seasoning process to do its thing.

On the day after the second treatment, it should be safe to use the humidor as long as you cannot feel any dampness on the cedar. If so, then wait one more day before storing your cigars. If you have a hygrometer inside the humidor, ignore any higher-than-normal readings during the seasoning process. If your humidor is reading and holding steady at 70%, go ahead and start filling it up with cigars. Sometimes it’s best to gradually add cigars; for instance, start by adding only 25 cigars. Wait a day, and if your humidity is holding steady at around 70%, feel free to add more cigars. You don’t have to gradually add cigars, it is just a suggestion. However, if the humidity is lower than 72% on the day after the second treatment, then repeat the wipe down procedure for a third time (you may also need to test your hygrometer or recharge your humidification device).

That’s it! You’ve properly seasoned your new humidor. Having followed this guide will take a lot of the headache out of maintaining proper 70% humidity. Assuming you maintain your humidor and make sure the humidifier is always charged, and the humidity % has not dramatically dropped, you’ll never have to season the humidor again.

Some notes pertaining to humidity. Everyone has their own opinion on how much humidity you should maintain in your humidor. The general rule of thumb is 70%. Personally, I feel this is too humid, and doesn’t allow the cigars to burn properly. High humidity % also covers up some of the true flavors from the cigar; plus it can cause mold to grow. I like to keep my cigars at 65% humidity, as I have noticed they smoke best at this point and also burn evenly without constantly going out. The safe humidity range is 60%-70%. Experiment and see what works best for you. Dropping below 60% may cause your cigars to dry out; going above 70% WILL cause mold to grow.

The last point I’d like to touch upon is temperature and deciding where your humidor is going to live. Choose a location that has constant temperature (between 60F-75F is ideal), is away from drafts and out of direct sunlight. If the temp goes much higher than 75F, you’re at risk for tobacco beetles. Tobacco beetles like to lay eggs on tobacco leaf, and if your cigar has eggs in the tobacco, they may hatch at 80F +. If the eggs hatch, the beetles will eat your cigars, and you’ll be left with cigars that look like Swiss cheese. Aside from beetles being a threat, cigars prefer it at 75F or less; this will prevent them from becoming damaged.

That’s all there is to it and I hope you enjoy your new Humidor :laugh:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Most analog hygrometers are manufactured with a tolerance of +/- 4-5% (or more) of humidity within the range of 40-80%. Although humidity gauges are supposedly pre-set at the factory, it's not unusual to find the calibration off once you get the unit home and placed in your humidor. If you want to see how accurate your hygrometer is, there is a simple, easy-to-do method you can use with items found right in your kitchen. All you need is some table salt, a sealed ZipLock™ bag and a plastic bottle cap.

1. Place a teaspoon of salt in the bottle cap and add a few drops of tap or distilled water to moisten it. Don't overdo it. You don't want to dissolve the salt. Add only enough water to dampen the salt. When water is added to common table salt, it will maintain an exact 75% humidity in a perfectly sealed environment.

2. Carefully place the salt and your hygrometer into the airtight container, (try not to get any moistened salt on the gauge). Check the unit to assure its current reading is somewhere in the 40% to 80% range.

3. Seal the container tightly but don't try to remove any remaining air trapped inside. Now, wait for at least several hours until the environment has stabilized (this could take up to 6 hrs.). Do not open the container. Read the gauge's humidity % level. It should be exactly 75%. If it is not, note the deviation as being the amount your hygrometer is out of calibration. If for example, it reads 65%, the gauge is 10% low. If it reads 80%, the gauge is 5% high.

4. Carefully remove the unit from the container/bag. Assuming your hygrometer has a calibrating screw on the back (most better ones do…or if not…note the % deviation), ) take a very small flathead screwdriver and turn it slowly while watching the dial on the front. If your gauge was low by 10%, turn the screwdriver so the dial is set 10 percentage points higher than it was previously. Conversely, if your gauge was high by 5%, turn the screw in the opposite direction to set the dial 5 percentage points lower.

5. Your gauge should now be properly calibrated, which will help you maintain a healthier overall environment for your cigars. If the gauge does not appear to be moving, try blowing warm, moist air into the back of it. One other thing you can do, which is also another way to test the unit, is by wrapping the hygrometer in a warm, damp paper towel for about 30 minutes or until it reads about 80-90% +/- a few points.

Enjoy :laugh:

Christopher

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
As a Cigar smoker of many...many years, a friend asked me one day, "Hey buddy...please explain to me the right way to smoke a Cuban cigar and (I prefer Dickel No.12 Tennessee ‘Sippin’ Whisky & Ginger Ale), liquor/spirits?"

I answered him that if you want to enjoy a combination of a Cuban cigar and liquor/spirits, you are very correct in stating that you should sip your drink. However, do not, swallow your sip right away... but you need to gently 'swill/savor' the liquor in your mouth to expand the drink contact surface as much as possible.

Then the effect of a cigar 'puff/pull' will be more enhanced. Also, many of the aromatics contained in a cigar do not dissolve in water, (i.e., in your saliva). You need liquor/spirits to break down the aromatics in your cigar. Cigar smoking accompanied with 'sipping' liquor/spirits will correspondingly give you more taste and flavor and will most certainly be a more pleasant experience.

Enjoy!!! :laugh:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Aged Cigars taste different to the equivalent recent production. It is an acquired taste and may not be for beginners. There are auctions for thousands of dollars for Cigars which date pre-embargo. There are very high prices paid for each decade after that. These Cigars have matured in their respective country (Cuba, Hondruas, Dominican Republic and Nicaragua or in the distributors country [i.e., Spain]), and have just been inspected for quality by Habanos or other inspectors and then again, in the distributors humidor.

Why smoke a aged / matured Cigar? Most experts and aficionados state that during the early years (3-5), when Cigars are left to mature, the general flavor and body remains but the nicotine and ammonia slowly disappear. Cigars ‘mellow’ (in strength), and blend with their complex flavors resulting in that subtle complexity (i.e., draw, aroma, combustibility and savor), you can only get from proper aging.

Typically, aging makes a smoother, more pleasant, “round” Cigar. Again, most experts (and I for that matter), agree that aging does not necessarily make a Cigar better, but simply rounder, producing a mellower character with a less sharp and harsh tobacco taste.

To sum up, these Cigars are for connoisseurs, and to them this is a treat.

Enjoy!!! :laugh:

Part of what's kept me away from cigars, aside from the fact it's more expensive than pipe-smoking, is the humidor. Do I have to fuss with that if I buy a 5-pack or something, and will smoke them over a couple of months?

You want some type of humidity regulation if you are going to keep cigars over a couple of months. If you're only going to keep a few around you can make a tupperdor quite cheaply, they work well for me. I've had cigars in mine for almost a year that are still doing great. Or, you could get online and just buy a cigar jar or a cheap 20-count humidor and $10 drymistat to toss in there. You need something like this for long-term storage because cigars will swell and shrink as the moisture level around them rises and falls so as little change as possible is a good thing. This alone will cause the cigar wrapper to get loose and worn so they'll be a pain to smoke and fall apart. Also, if you let them get too dry and try to smoke them they will burn quickly and taste very harsh. This is one of the reasons cigar stores are convenient to have nearby...it's easier for those who don't smoke often to just go to the cigar shop and buy a cigar.

You sure as hell sound like an aficionado, thanks for all the great info!

Ha, thanks! I'm not an every day cigar smoker though, I've only been into the hobby for about a year. I'm lucky enough to have two local tobacconists within a ten-minute driving distance from me.

You can get a travel humidor made from a plastic box, with a humidification disc built into the lid, for anywhere from $20 to $30. A bottle of "humidification fluid" for about $5. That should take care of your needs for a while at a lot better price than a $150+ humidor.

You can get a travel humidor made from a plastic box, with a humidification disc built into the lid, for anywhere from $20 to $30. A bottle of "humidification fluid" for about $5. That should take care of your needs for a while at a lot better price than a $150+ humidor.

Good advice here herfadors are great little travel humidors. You can also get a cheap 20 count humidor from CI or somewhere similar for $20. The seal probably won't be as good which means you'll have to keep a closer watch on the RH.

As I read through these posts to orient myself to the brown leaf forums I have a few thoughts. By the way, I have been an affilcianado for about 3 years. My main choices are Macanudo vintage '97 Maduro, Montecristo Classic and
Opus X. I gave an end table humidor of about 25 box capacity with an electronic humidifie

The discussion if "frigidors" and plastic boxes seems wrong to me, although I have seen the idea many places. IMO, and in professional recommendations a humidor must breathe, not seal airtight. There is an increased risk of mold. Manufactured humidor close merely by the pressure of gravity or magnets holding wood against wood.

Or am am I Wrong?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
How exactly is the risk of mold increased? A humidor that maintains 67% relative humidity is 67% whether the container can breath or not. Just like in a traditional humidor an issue could arise if the humidity is allowed to get too high, but with an active system an an Oasis, or silica beads set to a proper level that isn't a concern.

The concept that a humidor should seal well yet be breathable is to act as a buffer against short term humidity swings, and to gas off any byproducts of the continued fermentation of the leaf such as ammonia, but even that is just speculation that it could be detrimental. I know of a guy who tracked down and purchased a hoard (in the true sense of the word) of clear Havanas, a lot were packaged in cans, like peas or soup, they were in perfect condition after 50+ years.

Aesthetics aside Tupperware, coolers, and thermoelectric wine fridges offer a storage solution that are often times less maintenance than a traditional wood humidor, and are much cheaper purchase, compared to a humidor of equal capacity.

I've been smoking cigars for about 3 years now. A friend of mine turned me on to an Acid Blondie Belicoso (like smoking potpourri). From there I started going to a couple of local cigar shops and started off with some mild cigars. Usually Connecticut wrapped are more mild. Some nice examples are the Oliva Connecticut Reserve, San Cristobal Elegancia (from Ashton) and Perdomo Reserve Champagne. There are plenty others. These are 3 that I've enjoyed and the San Cristobal is one of my favorites still.

Another recommendation is not to go cheap. If you are not smoking every day or multiple cigars a day, I feel it is better to get decent cigar and enjoy it. I get a lot of ads from all the online retailers (Thompson, Cigars International, Famous, etc) and they have a lot of crappy cigars and bundles for a real low price. If you are just starting out, talk with your local retailer and get some recommendations.

I have a nice humidor I bought from Cigarbid.com. I usually keep about 40 cigars in my inventory (give or take a couple) at any one time. I use the Boveda 72 packs for humidification. I have to use 3 at a time. Once a year I buy a box of 12.

As far as where to buy, you have a couple of choices - local shops and on-line. I usually go to the shops during the winter months and will hang out and smoke there. During the warmer weather, I'm usually out back on the deck or over a buddy's house. I've purchased from Famous-smoke.com and cigarbid.com. These can be good once you find what you like and you want to buy a 5-pack or a box at a decent price.

As far as lighter and cutters, I'm a fan of Xikar products. I have a guillotine cutter and a punch and a couple of their lighters (2 single flame and 1 double flame). They have a lifetime warranty and they will do a free exchange at any dealer.

You can really go on forever when it comes to cigars (like shaving). Just keep trying different smokes and buy 5-packs or boxes of what you like. You can be smoking for years and still have thousands of cigars to try. I've even gone back to cigars that I tried early on and wasn't too fond of, but I like them now because my tastes have changed and I can enjoy some of the stronger cigars.

Have fun.

Just my opinion, but some of my favorites are:

Oliva Series G
Oliva Connecticut Reserve
San Cristobal Elegancia
San Cristobal
Drew Estate Undercrown
Drew Estate Kentucky Fire Cured (a little different than your normal tobacco. Smokey, like a BBQ).
Room 101 The Big Payback
Brick House Robusto (low price, but some nice mile flavor).

Top Bottom