What's new

DE recommendations

I've been wetshaving for just over a year now. In the mean time, I've been slowly introducing my brother and re-introducing my dad to the lost arts. Dad jumped right in, the old pro that he is. My brother has been content with the brush and creams from last Christmas. Now, it's time to treat him to his first safety razor.

Aside from the traditional Mercur HD, what would you all recommend for my brother-newbie with a medium beard? Anything more ornate than the HD? (Not that I've been anything but satisfied with the classic simplicity of mine!)

Thanks!

SuperSpeed!!

Maybe a 40's style is too aggressive as a gift? A black handled one?

Aristocrats are AWESOME, but a step up on the not so forgiving side. May cost a bit of coin if it's in great shape. Don't want to get a big money gift that doesn't get a proper chance.. If it bites on the first few shaves it may be a turn off.

Adjustable would be cool. A slim adjustable is longer, and less weird feeling to a person who has only ever known a cartridge. Then when technique gets down, he can dial his own desired bite.

I got hungry for a more aggressive razor after a month or so on a super speed, but had I started with a New Standard or a Red Tip, I might have had serious second thoughts about "safety" razors...

My second DE after the HD, and now my go to DE, is the Merkur 1904. :thumbup1:

I find the 1904 to be one fine DE, and worth taking a look at. :thumbup:

More ornate? How about the gold version, the Merkur 34G. Otherwise the 40's style SuperSpeed is a great razor & then you two can swap off to try each out.

I will echo what others have said. Vintage, I would go for the SS in a heartbeat. A close second would be the Gillette Tech. If you want a new razor, than the EJ DE89L would be on my list. If I had to do it over again I would have got the EJ DE89L first and would not have bothered with the HD. I just like extra detail and craftsmanship in the EJ. The HD is a decent razor also, but the EJ has an edge over it and is usually cheaper to purchase.

My second DE after the HD, and now my go to DE, is the Merkur 1904. :thumbup1:

I find the 1904 to be one fine DE, and worth taking a look at. :thumbup:

Any of the Merkurs are smooth shavers for those converting to DE (except maybe the slant)...and the 1904 is a simple, affordable, and great looking choice, esp the very mild Open-Comb version. If you want to go vintage maybe a Gillette Tuckaway or NEW Standard, both of which are fairly mild yet ornate shavers that look awesome when they are nice and shiny.

Merkur 1904
proxy.php

Gillette Tuckaway
proxy.php

Gillette NEW Standard
proxy.php

If you want to go Adjustable the Gillette Fat Boy and Slim and the Merkur Progress seem to give the most bang for the buck...with all those settings they are really like several razors in one. That way he can dial up from mild to wild (ok...mild to less mild) as he gets the technique down. All of them give very smooth, comfortable shaves for me, esp the Progress.

Last edited:
That Gillette NEW Standard looks a lot like my late 40's razor PIFed to me by Dan Parker. I know the one I have is older than the "NEW" as there is not a date mark on the bottom, but it is a remarkable shaver, actually quite mild even though it is an open comb. From the looks of your picture, not much had changed by that razor's time -- so I think it should shave the same. Just be careful changing blades if you are able to find one, as you have to unscrew the head from the handle to change them.

I vote Ranger Tech (1941 or 1946) or a Milord (same dates).

Both shave really, really well. My Ranger Tech (1941) easily has the best nickle plating on any Gillette I have ever seen. It is really bright and seems thick. It is a fine looking razor! When I look at it now I cannot help but think that it would be a pricey razor if new.

I would agree that the 1940s Aristocrats are beautiful too, but I would also agree that they do tend toward being a bit more aggressive. That said, no one could talk me out of mine. If he wants more aggressive, these feel great in the hand.

Anything except a vintage razor.

Most people just want to shave, they have no interest in the collection aspect of a razor .

I will echo what others have said. Vintage, I would go for the SS in a heartbeat. A close second would be the Gillette Tech. If you want a new razor, than the EJ DE89L would be on my list. If I had to do it over again I would have got the EJ DE89L first and would not have bothered with the HD. I just like extra detail and craftsmanship in the EJ. The HD is a decent razor also, but the EJ has an edge over it and is usually cheaper to purchase.

Exactly what I would say! :thumbup:

David

Top Bottom