What's new

Work boots

I need to buy a pair of work boots this year; however, I have never needed any before and don’t know much about them.I’m looking for a few recommendations, either about manufacturers or specific models that you like/dislike.

Here are my requirements: Leather (brown), safety toe, above the ankle, waterproof, and under $200.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Danner, Chippewa, and Red Wing are all good boots. Do you really need the safety toe? lots of pros and cons on that. I have a pair of Danner climbing boots I bought in the 80's that are still good. A good 8 inch will get you above the ankle.

Yes, they do need to be safety-toe because it is required by work; but, not necessarily steel. Evidently, there are some composites out there that are just as strong. Fortunately for me, I will mainly be doing a lot of walking around, and climbing up and down ladders. I will be working around water too, so waterproof is a must.

Yes, they do need to be safety-toe because it is required by work; but, not necessarily steel. Evidently, there are some composites out there that are just as strong. Fortunately for me, I will mainly be doing a lot of walking around, and climbing up and down ladders. I will be working around water too, so waterproof is a must.

Lots of walking, water-proof, safety toe....
I'd buy these: http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/dspNavCategory.cfm?rootID=1&catID=11&prodid=530

proxy.php

Go down to a approved Red Wing dealer that will go threw the fitting and selecting the proper boot for you.

If not, I would go for a good pair of Blundstone's.

Johnny

AVOID TWISTED X! Yes, they're Western-styled, but they're still "work boots". While they have steel toes and fair soles, there's no shank, making it difficult if not impossible to resole. They don't walk too well, wither.

My recomendation would be these:http://www.shoebuy.com/wolverine-hu...93513?cm_mmc=frooglelist-_-none-_-none-_-none

The other day i dropped a part on my foot at work and mucked up my big toe.So I decided I better get a pair of steel toe boots. Took me about 2 dozon different boots before I could find a pair that I could get my foot into without constant throbbing pain.I even tried several 150.00 dollar pairs that were just as painfull to wear as walmart brand boots.I slipped these wolverines on and didn't feel a thing.I have only had them for a week so no idea about longevity.These boots are also comfortable for 10hour shifts on bare concrete.

Ive had my red wings for two and a half years and there are not even close to done, and still as comfortable as ever. definitely tops in my books.

I'd go with Danners... Been wearing them on duty for almost 6 years and probably walk 5-10 miles a night and they are more comfortable then some of my sneakers after they broke in.

Plus almost all the higher end boots in the line are rebuildable and will last 15 years plus. So your initial investment maybe higher but the boots will be cheaper after the first couple years. (Not to mention they are made in america and much higher quality then most of the less expensive boots)

Danner is a GREAT brand for walking/hiking/backpacking, on par with, if not exceeding, the old Raichle brand that sadly, is no longer independent, but part of Mammut. Not sure how they are in work boots, though.

Wolverines are the most comfortable and most durable that I've worn.

My first pair of Wolverines were great back in the early '80s. The next two pairs were not so great and I gave up on them. Changed over to Rocky Boots and they were great, until production moved out of Ohio to Puerto Rico. I've since been searching for a great boot again.

if this is your first pair of work boots.. as mentioned above, I would go to a Red Wing store and go through their fitting. Nothing worse than work boots that don't fit. Go at the end of the day and be sure to wear the socks you plan to wear for work.

I've got to give props to my Wolverine boots. They are a 6" (which definitely is enough to cover the ankles) and have a steel toe. I've worn the hell out of them and they have certainly seen better days, but I've had the same pair for about 7 years and they are still super comfortable. If you go this route, I would advise the durashock inserts as they have allowed me to spend all day on my feet. They did cost a pretty penny, though (about $150).

White's boots in Spokane WA are outstanding. Red Wings are also US made and excellent quality and Alden Indys are also terrific.

Go down to a approved Red Wing dealer that will go threw the fitting and selecting the proper boot for you.

If not,
I would go for a good pair of Blundstone's.

Johnny

:thumbup1:
They are cheap.
They meet the requirement.
If you get the right ones, they hold up to the task.
When you wreck them, you won't care - you'll just get another pair.

Top Bottom