What's new

Brushes - evolving drying time

Here is a phenomenon I've noticed that, to my knowledge, has not been widely discussed on this forum and would love to get others opinions on this matter.

Earlier this fall, I purchased a Rooney Heritage Emillion (). For the first few weeks, it would take days (usually 3-4) for the brush to dry properly. I thought this was due to the brushe's densely packed knot, but where it gets interesting is that as time went on, the brush would dry out much faster, to the point where drying time is now fairly consistent, usually dries out completely in 24 hours.

I don't think this is due to varying levels of humidity - I always use a similar routine when drying the brush and leave it to dry upside down on a brush stand on the bathroom countertop.

Is this a part of the breaking-in process that you've also noticed in your own brushes?

I've never noticed this, but then again, I never use the same brush twice in a row. All of my brushes dry out in 24 hours and I just shake them out, towel them off, and stand them right side up.

EDIT: *puts on thinking cap* Ah, I have it!

The reason this is so is because when you first use a brush it has not yet fully bloomed. Therefore all of the hairs are more tightly packed together, so it is more difficult for the moisture to evaporate. After a few uses, the brush blooms out nicely, and there is more space between each bristle. So it dries quicker due to increased airflow!

The bloom is likely a factor, as well as (I suspect) hair conditioning. Even badger hair changes and "breaks in" a bit as you use it. Eventually, all that moisture and soap residue is bound to build up and affect the drying time, among other things.

I wonder if you gave it a good bath would the drying times go up a bit...

Another factor that might come into play is that with a new brush, there is probably still a little "badger oil" (the source of that lovely new brush smell...) and maybe that retains moisture somewhat. One thing I should point out is that I didn't shampoo this brush when I first got it - I just used plain old shaving soap to wash it, so maybe that also comes into play...

Testing brush drying could be used as an excuse to justify raging SBAD, since who would question the motives of the advancement of the science of badgerology!:tongue_sm

I notice that you live in Montreal and you bought the brush in early in the fall so I wonder whether your drying phenomenon is in fact due to the household heating being ramped up and the air circulation improving as the colder weather approaches. (29C/84F in Melbourne today, clear blue sky - weather to die for!)

Maybe as a brush breaks in, the hairs become more absorbent, and (ironically?) that allows dampness to disperse evenly throughout the brush and evaporate faster.

Top Bottom