What's new

Been a while, looking to add some enjoyment to my shave

About a few years ago I really got into wet shaving and I have been doing it ever since. However, my shave has been a little boring the last couple of years and I'm looking to add some enjoyment to my routine again. I currently use a fusion razor, B&B 2006 brush, and usually Taylor's shaving creams. I tried a DE (fat boy) for a month when I first got started but found I was getting better shaves with just my regular razor so I switched back. Maybe I didn't give the DE enough time?

Anyways, does anyone have some suggestions on how I can spark some enjoyment to my shave again?

Thanks for any input. Cheers!

It took me more then a month to start getting good shaves with a DE. To spice things up why not get a superspeed and a sampler pack of blades? Also, maybe try some soaps or a shavestick.

It took me more then a month to start getting good shaves with a DE. To spice things up why not get a superspeed and a sampler pack of blades? Also, maybe try some soaps or a shavestick.

Thanks for the input. Who makes the superspeed?

Thanks for the input. Who makes the superspeed?

Super Speeds are vintage Gillette. I agree with Mathew, give the DE some more time. However, if it still doesn't "click" for you after a few months you can always give an injector a try. Some members say they are so easy to use it is like cheating, but it could be just enough of a mix up for you to enjoy! Oh yeah don 't forget the GEM SE's! DE's aren't your only option.

It takes a while to get good shaves with a DE - there is a learning curve.

I would give it another chance - with the FB. Look at all of the tutorials on the site and give it another try.

After a week of DE shaving, I was convinced I should return to my Fusion. I was getting much closer shaves with the cart but I persisted, and haven't looked back. Yes, it takes longer to shave now, but at least it's now a pleasure rather than a chore. Shaving is something I look forward to now.

David:thumbup:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'd say give it another go, it takes practice. You might want a different razor too, a non-adjustable.

May I suggest a Tech? The superspeed is good too but the Tech may be easier to find (I've got six of them!). Very forgiving razors, even when you are in a hurry, and I speak as someone with a heavy stubble who hated shaving until I took up the DE.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
May I suggest a Tech? The superspeed is good too but the Tech may be easier to find (I've got six of them!). Very forgiving razors, even when you are in a hurry, and I speak as someone with a heavy stubble who hated shaving until I took up the DE.

Both the Tech and SS are great shavers. A black handle SS is very mild and forgiving but still gives a great shave.

I like either the Tech, or an open comb new for learning. It gives you a bit more visibility than a TTO, you can see where you are shaving and pay better attention to blade angle.

All three have a regular place in my rotation.

Good Luck :thumbup:

You might also consider a Merkur HD razor. I started with a super speed years ago, and it was great, but in the end I prefer the heavier head of the merkurs. That, and check out Mantic's videos on youtube.

SS rocks and really cheap grabed my 69 on eBay for $10. Also tossed my M3 right into the trash, make sure to get a solid sample pack to find the right blade they are all so different!!! It's going to take some time with the DE. if your going to use the FB start on 3 and go from there. The biggest key is not using any pressure which the fusion needs. Mantic59 on YouTube is a great start to relearn. Good Luck.

Top Bottom