What's new

So I gave it a try.

I tried shaving with a straight for the first time today. one of these days I'll get around to posting a pic of it since Joe Chandler re-scaled it for me.

Anyway - no blood at all. Not even a little bit. Did the whole face, too. I'll admit, I did one touch-up pass on my neck with my Progress, but my cheeck and chin are possibly the smoothest they've ever been. My face wound up slightly more irritated than normal, but no redness - just a little extra sting from the Aqua Velva today.

I'll have to do some adjusting, though, as a lather that would have been great for a DE shave was actually a little thick for the straight razor. At times it almost felt like suction was sticking the blade to my face - that might be a lather adjustment or a blade angle adjustment - I'll have to experiment.

Another one yields to the dark side :cool:

If you're getting suction it's probably due to blade angle. There should be enough space between the spine and your face for air to pass easily. I sometimes get the feeling you described when I'm doing a section where I can't stretch the skin properly. Skin stretching is paramount with a straight (moreso, I find, than with a DE)

Another one yields to the dark side :cool:

If you're getting suction it's probably due to blade angle. There should be enough space between the spine and your face for air to pass easily. I sometimes get the feeling you described when I'm doing a section where I can't stretch the skin properly. Skin stretching is paramount with a straight (moreso, I find, than with a DE)

I'll keep a better eye on it next time. Although my cheeks are still BBS, 15 hours later.

I tried shaving with a straight for the first time today. one of these days I'll get around to posting a pic of it since Joe Chandler re-scaled it for me.

Anyway - no blood at all. Not even a little bit. Did the whole face, too. I'll admit, I did one touch-up pass on my neck with my Progress, but my cheeck and chin are possibly the smoothest they've ever been. My face wound up slightly more irritated than normal, but no redness - just a little extra sting from the Aqua Velva today.

I'll have to do some adjusting, though, as a lather that would have been great for a DE shave was actually a little thick for the straight razor. At times it almost felt like suction was sticking the blade to my face - that might be a lather adjustment or a blade angle adjustment - I'll have to experiment.

E.J.

Congrats on completing what sounds like a very successfuly str8 shave. I keep fighting off the call of the str8 it looks like it's only a matter of time. Bring your razor to the next COWSBC meeting!

I'll definitely bring it along.

Today I tried it again. Most of the shave went much more smoothly - perhaps I did a bit better job stropping today, or perhaps I was just more sure with the blade.

My cheeks and neck actually came out rather well. I did with and across the grain; didn't feel like risking an ATG pass today, since I actualy have to be presentable tonight. one small nick right under my nose. Not bad, though.

Ah, see, that's where you went wrong. The only DE razor I've paid money for was a gently-used Mer-modified Progress. :wink:

I'll keep a better eye on it next time. Although my cheeks are still BBS, 15 hours later.

Yours still BBS 15 hours later?? I think you must have died and not noticed...walk towards the light, walk towards the light! And say hi to my folks when you see them.
John.

Good to hear that your first straight shave went well. I'm waiting for Joel to finish with his honing experiment, and then I will have my first straight. Your first shave gives me hope that mine will go as well.

What was the trickiest thing?

It's fun guys, try it, you will like the straight. Just getting through the first shave can be a challenge, hell, just starting the first shave with a straight can be a challenge. I've made it through about a dozen so far. Mixed results, but more good than not. Way to go tromboneguy:thumbup1:

EJ - what kind of shave are doing...1 pass (WTG), 2 pass (WTG & XTG) or what? Congratulations on the results!

I've been doing a pass WTG and then a pass XTG. After that I've been touching up small spots with a DE going ATG, but ony a very fewspots have needed it.

Oh, and as far as the trickiest part? The mustache area and right under my lower lip. The only problem there is I can't get the skin stretched taut enough to keep the blade from hanging up in the hairs. I probably just need practice, but I think it would actually be easier using a razor with a heavier (or at least stiffer) blade.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Your first straight shave, no blood, and at least 15 hours of BBS ... I wouldn't be worried about the blade angle (the likely culprit of your suction) since whatever you did, you ended up with a superb shave.

I wish my first shave with a straight was anything like that (real bloodbath), but then again I started with the Feather AC. But I guess you were doing DE shaving for a while so you weren't starting off totally from scratch.

Yeah, I've been DE shaving for about a year - most of that time spent with Feather blades in a Gillette slim. Plus, I'm just not one to get nervous about having a sharp implement in my hand - the possibility of a hand twitching and slicing myself doesn't really worry me. I'm used to learning things that take a very long time to master.

Dang. This almost makes me want to try.

Almost.

Really, it's not that hard as long as you don't try to rush it.

My second shave was much better than the first, probably because I did a better job of stropping and was more sure with the blade.

Well EJ, in that case I am seriously impressed. You must have a steady hand and nerves of steel.
John.

HA! Well, I don't know about the steady hand part, but as to nerves..

Well, trombonists are good at that. We get to spend a lot of time thinking about all the things that can go horribly wrong with the next note we have to play. :wink:

I haven't tried again this week since I'm away from home and I think I'm going to stick with the DE for travel purposes.

Top Bottom