What's new

Found an old Gillette

So back when I was 14 my great grandfather passed away (at 95 years old!) and left a few odds and ends to me. I do remember seeing an old safety razor in there and started to go through it again today. Yep an old Gillette. Currently I am new to the safety razor world so is this worth restoring (corrosion and some rust) and putting in rotation or should I move just leave it as a memento?

It should clean up fine but there are different methods for different razors. A pic would really help.

Jay

this is what it looks like:
proxy.php

currently it's sitting in white vinegar and water.....I'll get some pictures of it exactly in a while.

I have no experience with vintage razors, but I like the idea of having a one used by a great grandfather. That's cool. It looks like it should clean up nicely.

if the Vineagar don't get er clean try one them Jewelry Polishing clothes or some Brasso or Flitz mebbe a Tub of Never Dull.

if the Vineagar don't get er clean try one them Jewelry Polishing clothes or some Brasso or Flitz mebbe a Tub of Never Dull.

OMG . . . don't use Brasso!!!

The gold wash on that razor is thin. Brasso will take it down to the unfinished brass. A good cleaning with Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush, followed by buffing with a soft cloth will bring out quite a bit of luster.

A soak in very hot (not quite boiling) water with dish soap will get rid of a lot of crud and help the cleaning process.

If cleaning doesn't bring out some shine, gently use a little MAAS or Simichrome. Don't use harsh jewelry cleaners, which are generally formulated as silver tarnish removers.

(...) is this worth restoring (corrosion and some rust) and putting in rotation or should I move just leave it as a memento?

I would use this after a nice touch up (see above).
The idea of continuing the tradition would be so much more worth than the razor itself, I would love to use it in the rotation.

It also is a nice object that might remind you of your grandfather, thus a memento in use.

No numbers or letters on it. Just has:

Gillette "diamond with arrow" logo

"Made in USA"

"Pat.Nos. on package"

"Reg US Patent Off."

I'm going to let it sit overnight in the vinegar

Scrubbing bubbles and a LIGHT polish and it should be good to go. These are made of brass under the plating, so they don't corrode. If it's not broken or bent it will shave just fine.

No numbers or letters on it. Just has:

Gillette "diamond with arrow" logo

"Made in USA"

"Pat.Nos. on package"

"Reg US Patent Off."

I'm going to let it sit overnight in the vinegar

I believe that dats it to the 46-50 range. If I am wrong someone will be along shortly. Do as others have said and use a toothbrush with some dish soap. It will clean up good and be cool to shave with Gramps razor. Enjoy!

Jay

The gold plating is pretty much gone,it's very thin on those techs.Just wash it with a toothbrush,hot water and liquid dish soap.It will shave fine.I have much uglier razors than that and I use them often.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If you are new to DE shaving the Tech provides a very mild shave. Watch Mantic59's videos on you tube, read the WIKIS on here about getting started. And as a new shaver always remember 0 pressure on the razor. Let the razor weight do the work.

Having it replated may be the way to go. It will shave fine either way. I hope you have happy memories every time you pick up your Grandfather's razor.

Phil

Top Bottom