What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

$IMG_0074.jpg

Hi Gentlemen,

I´am new to this Forum, know it for long time but didn´t sign up.
Found by eccident my perfect finisher, it´s unbelieveable.
I bought it for my wood working tools, but it turned out as "the" stone for shaving.
For years I was fiddling around with coticule´s and thüringers, but wasn´t fully satisfied in most cases. So I had allways come back to my cromium strop to get an A1 shave and this was kind of boring.
Thought I would share it with you guys, as this thread is very interesting and should grow.
I´am shure it´s pretty obvious which kind of stone it is. :001_rolle
The name of the mine, under the name I bought it I will post later. It´s an uncommon and closed, it´s been said.

Greetings

Ruben

$IMG_0075.jpg

Last edited:
Rubin

That is a beautiful piece of Suita. Not all suita is fine enough for razors but with some good skill they can produce silky smooth edges.

Alex

Hi Alex,

strangley this suita is so fine that there is no way to use it for tools, maybe thats why the guy sold it to me, I don´t know.
When it arrived I tested it on a chisel and was disappointed, I was shure it will remove some metall quickly, but it didn´t.
I realized than that it leaves a finer surface than my nakayama kiita, I didn´t expect that at all.
So I tested it on one of my razors and voilà I had a new finisher I can shave off.
The renge is different from what I have seen so far, it´s so tight and forms some linear pattern.
If it´s from interest I can try to make better pictures.

Greetings

Ruben

Thank you David,

had to join, as I followed more and more :w00t: in the past.
I said to my self I will not buy more razors, but I was wrong.
Thought the collection is complete and razors are too expensive now, but it proved otherwise.

Kawa:

$_MG_0098.jpg

Greetings

Ruben

I needed a mate to go with my recently acquired killer Tenjyou Toishi. I was looking for the same quality level, which was an ambitious plan on my part for sure.
So, after some poking around, and some begging - this puppy shows up.
Ooooofff..... Mejiro with an identity crisis - it thinks it's Koma.

proxy.php

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Now THAT is a sweet stone! Congrats Keith! You've gotta make a video of that one.

Thank you David,

had to join, as I followed more and more :w00t: in the past.
I said to my self I will not buy more razors, but I was wrong.
Thought the collection is complete and razors are too expensive now, but it proved otherwise.

Kawa:

View attachment 690593

Greetings

Ruben

Hi and Welcome to B&B Ruben! Great loking stone, love that skin. I'd keep her out on my desk just to look at all the time. lol

Hi and Welcome to B&B Ruben! Great loking stone, love that skin. I'd keep her out on my desk just to look at all the time. lol

Thank you Brain,

fortunately tastes are different for everyone, I find it more gross looking lol, like an old rotten crocdile.
I couldn´t catch it in the picture, cause of poor camere skills. In real it looks extreme rusty red/orange and burned black.

Cheers!

Got this beauty last week, actually it was sold totally unbranded. Its a hard stone, i would rate it around Lv 4.5-5.0.

Its coloration moves from gray/green towards a greenwith yellowish notes..its an effective fast cutting and fine stone for finishing....

I do tend towards a Nakayama Asagi, so i kindly ask for any "interpretation" on this one.

It shows these typical white/yellowish lines on the back...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Does the black skin in the 3rd photo sparkle in sunlight? That's the only definitive Nakayama indicator I know of.

Regardless, it looks like a winner.

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom