What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

He he he - the edges of all Jnat prefinishers , are better than any coticule ever used , Thats for shure
The Nakyama suita looks very pretty congrats

This one reminds me of the creamsicle I had earlier today.
Without a doubt, it's the most consistent, creamiest and finest Tenjyou I've ever handled. It came to me with the Hatahoshi I posted a while back. Both pieces are stellar examples of their genre.. this one is more of a rarity though.

proxy.php

I honed my first Kamisori on my first Ozuku Asagi lvl 5+ today. I´m really happy because the shave was a pleasure and that with the first try, I got a very smooth and clean shave. The tomonagura seems to match perfect. On the back there are white and green glittering crystal flakes. On both sides are stamps, no idea what that means, but I like that stone. I´ve sealed the back and the sides with good clear lacquer.

$P1030769.jpg$P1030771.jpg$P1030767.jpg$P1030752.jpg$P1030753.jpg

The more I use and stare at this stone the more I love it. Need to figure out which razor will be the victim this evening. Going to have to wait till at least tomorrow to shave though. :yawn:

$IMG_0827.jpg$IMG_0829.jpg

Why is it called a "Ten"jou if it's only nine inches long?

Attachments

• $4.jpg
    $4.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 168
  • $3.jpg
    $3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 171
  • $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 169
  • $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 167
[QUOTeSliceOfLife;8454065]Tom, can I go camping in your backyard?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you will need to bring stones to sharpen stuff. We have deer, coyotes, copper heads, large spiders and crazy huge bugs and large snakes. The creek in the back and the farm behind get noisy at night. Love those sounds though. Kind of like a rainforest. No lights here either very nice at night. Just to hot this year.

Am I crazy for considering stropping this up and shaving off it? I mean, I've never had a Tenjou big enough to hone directly on before... I've got no idea what to expect from this edge.

Attachments

• $20160821_004607.jpg
    $20160821_004607.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 156
The shave wasn't terrible. I haven't shaved off my mid-range synths for awhile, but it was definitely sharper than an 8k DMT, I want to say it was a bit sharper than a 6k JIS. Probably falls roughly equivalent to a 6-8k range JIS synthetic for sharpness. Seems like a very good prefinisher though. I've been wanting something to use as an alternative to my DMT for awhile, but no synthetic performed well enough, maybe this is the answer.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
That seems about right. I've shaved off many botan, tenjou, and mejiro as a part of testing them. Botan is generally about 5k JIS though it shaves a bit more smoothly, maybe because the hone has an effect too, and both tenjou and mejiro (they can overlap) are quite shaveable especially if you get a good example but none I've tested are quite as good as a quality finisher+tomo. I'd put them in the 8k JIS category for decent examples.

Cheers, Steve

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
New crow today, hard and very fine, HHT indicates this stone has a good chance to make those 'butter knife' edges, but no whiskers to try the edge on yet!

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $DSCF0459.jpg
    $DSCF0459.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 130
Top Bottom