What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

I don't see the need to cut it unless you wish to use the trimmings as Nagura. The other side seems it would do well for razors. It is a very handsome stone though. Very Nice!!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Please comment. There is a slightly rough red area on one side. I am considering cutting this stone down to remove that area.

If it's flat and smooth I don't see the issue...

Here's my humble set up:

proxy.php

Nakayama Asagi with lower Nagura as well as Koma and tomonagura, in a Japanese Urushi Cake box. I've been getting such good results I want to run to the hill tops and scream with delight.

that's a really nice picture .. full of delights

oozuku (very fine, usually my finishstone, what i like is the cloudy looking surface, wet it looks like some rainclouds):

proxy.php

proxy.php

daijo (around 8000):

proxy.php

proxy.php

nakayama asagi (good one between daijo and oozuku, used with my naguras aswell)

proxy.php

proxy.php

my naguras (botan,mejiro,koma, missing on this picture is a nagura which was cutted out of a maruka nakayama, with the koma one its really hard to create slurry because its hard aswell):

proxy.php

"Honyama Quarry Stone" from Dick.
A great finisher for japanese kitchen knifes & decent for razors, but not nearly as fine as say a Oozuku.
Still a pretty stone. Lovely feedback.
proxy.php

proxy.php

That's what my guess was since the characters reminded me of botan (I figure out which is which based on how complex the characters look :lol:)...isn't botan fairly coarse? How does it make a finishing stone? I guess it just does in this case...

Last edited:
For some reason my Picasa is not letting me load from there so attachments coming:
I'm missing Asagi Iwaskaki Select which has been a favorite so far and doing most of my honing on.

Maruka (haven't tried yet)
Umegahata by Iwasaki (haven't tried yet)
Kiita(softer Kiita than I've used but a very good stone)

Awesome looking stones everyone!

This thread should have a warning

Caution viewing this thread might cause JNAD!!!!

Please comment. There is a slightly rough red area on one side. I am considering cutting this stone down to remove that area.

Here the picture of my hard Ohira Karasu.
Just to show how to lap the lines at 45degree.

BTW about this stone:
Droptest is 2hrs. So very hard for an Ohira.
It is harder than many Nakayama stones I have.
Though not so hard like the hardest Ozuku which has a droptest time of 4hrs+.

I find that water here evaporates too quickly. When I was in New England, I could leave a stone wet and it'd stay that way for a while. Out in the Southwest, I can't even step out for a minute without my stones getting dry. Absorption tests are useless here.

Top Bottom