What's new

Why Aren't Paddle/Bench Strops More Popular?

I tried using a hanging strop with my straight razor, and I didn't like it. I tried using a bench strop and it was a whole lot better. The strop is always flat, it's virtually impossible to nick, and I can take it anywhere. I would think because of those reasons they would be more popular for everyday stropping, but the hanging strop is still more popular. Is there any other advantage of a hanging strop besides it being longer?

Personally I just like the look and the feel of using a hanging strop. It really isn't that bad once you get the hang of it.

If a paddle strop works better for you, then that's great. There are people using them or they wouldn't still be selling them.

Personally I just like the look and the feel of using a hanging strop. It really isn't that bad once you get the hang of it.

If a paddle strop works better for you, then that's great. There are people using them or they wouldn't still be selling them.

I also find it more relaxing when using a bench strop because I don't need to focus on keeping it taught.

That's the great YMMV showing his head again.

I've stropped enough now that I don't really think about holding it taught anymore. Actually, lately I have been holding it not quite as taught on purpose and it still works fine. When I first started shaving with a straight, I was holding the strop so tight I pulled my hook out of the wall and had to put better anchors in... :lol::lol::lol: I don't hold it that tight anymore. :001_rolle

That's the great YMMV showing his head again.

I've stropped enough now that I don't really think about holding it taught anymore. Actually, lately I have been holding it not quite as taught on purpose and it still works fine. When I first started shaving with a straight, I was holding the strop so tight I pulled my hook out of the wall and had to put better anchors in... :lol::lol::lol: I don't hold it that tight anymore. :001_rolle

I had to look up what YMMV means.:laugh:

Hanging strops just seem more fun to me. Part of it is probably down to seeing them in old movies etc, but mostly I think it's because a paddle strop is rather too precise and technical to be a part of the actual shave routine. It's all in the mind, of course.

Legion

Staff member
Yes, I have always wondered this myself. I think because hanging strops were more common in the old days (I believe because of cost reasons), and therefor seen more often, people think that is how a strop should look and gravitate towards that.

I own and use both sorts of strops and I think they both work fine, but I do believe that having a flat stable surface can be beneficial, especially to people who are new to this.

I have a latigo hanging strop and may never use it again. I think I did unkind things to my newbie Dovo Tortoise razor because of not being quite sure how to use it right. I made 2 paddle strops out of raw cowhide and will never use a hanging strop again. I say never...who knows. What I do know though is that I can do 75-100 laps on my strop and the razor is perfect. I have 3 new razors and 10 shaves in on each and they're still very sharp. It's so much like honing, but spine first. I sand off the nicks and use some Fromm strop dressing to keep it soft and they look great. They're wonderful, but the hanging strops look great too.

I've got a Tony Miller hanging strop as my main strop but I also have a little old 6x2 bench strop, which is on loan at the moment. I do miss using the bench strop from time to time, it's just a nice size to sit in your hand like a barber hone.

Hanging strops are the classic way and are easy to store and use. True paddles are made for travel and are small and can be a pain to use. Actual bench strops are much larger and are more difficult for travel and to store. There are also loom strops but they are large and bulky. The hanger is just the perfect design and that's why it's always been so popular.

racoonandbrush,

I use paddle strops eclusively :001_smile

My Neil Miller Aluminium Modular Magnetic Paddle is a superb strop, and all I need !

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

I think it's because it's tough to find a paddle strop that's 20+ inches in length.
The longest paddle strop I've seen was about 11 inches. My Kanayama 60K is over 24 inches long!
I really do think that all that extra stropping length makes each stroke more effective.

I think that the ability to control the tension of a hanging strop is one of it's best features. As a razor's edge wears, the use of a hanging stop, much like a loom strop, allows one to control the amount of deflection that may be needed to deal with the bevel convexity that occurs. Plus, I think it's length leads to a more efficient stoke. But, ya know... YMMV.

I have a latigo hanging strop and may never use it again. I think I did unkind things to my newbie Dovo Tortoise razor because of not being quite sure how to use it right. I made 2 paddle strops out of raw cowhide and will never use a hanging strop again. I say never...who knows. What I do know though is that I can do 75-100 laps on my strop and the razor is perfect. I have 3 new razors and 10 shaves in on each and they're still very sharp. It's so much like honing, but spine first. I sand off the nicks and use some Fromm strop dressing to keep it soft and they look great. They're wonderful, but the hanging strops look great too.

That's good that you got the results you were looking for. I believe that a straight, having so delicate of an edge, should be used on a completely flat surface such as a bench strop. It just seems right to me. It's like the same reason we don't have hanging hones.

Ya know, I probably will get a hanging strop when I feel like it. The whole traditional part is too much for me to ignore. Right now I have the Norton 4K/8K. I will hopefully (wink,wink) be getting a finishing stone for Christmas. After I get used to what the razor feels like after using the finishing stone with the bench strops for a while, I will get a hanging strop.

Legion

Staff member
You know, there is nothing to stop you using a paddle strop hanging. I make and use ones like in the picture, and on my personal one I put an eye bolt into the end to hang it up out of the way. The other day I just left it on its peg and stropped on it like it was a hanging strop. It worked well.

proxy.php

That's good that you got the results you were looking for. I believe that a straight, having so delicate of an edge, should be used on a completely flat surface such as a bench strop. It just seems right to me. It's like the same reason we don't have hanging hones.

What do you call using a pasted strop?

My 2 cents is that I like the look of a strop hanging in my bathroom. Sure you could hang a paddle, but IMO it does not look as cool. Its also a conversation piece when I have guests over.

Let me update this. Last December I thought paddle strops were better. I have since switched sides to the hanging strop. It have more stropping space and it looks cooler.

Top Bottom