What's new

Shaving Sticks

I used to think shaving sticks were dumb, I thought what's the point. Then I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhQ1HDd_yAM and I changed my mind. All of a sudden I see the posibilities. I also bought the 2010 Semogue LE brush :lol:

I do have a question though. Are shaving sticks the same as the "regular" soap? So, is DR Harris Arlington shaving stick the same thing as the Arlington puck?

Where'd that lather come from? David Copperfield would be proud of that trick! :lol:

Haha, that's what I thought too. At first I thought he was just going to rub the brush on his face, then BOOM all this lather. I also ordered a stick of La Toja :lol:

Haha, that's what I thought too. At first I thought he was just going to rub the brush on his face, then BOOM all this lather. I also ordered a stick of La Toja :lol:

LaToja is very, very good. You might also want to try Valobra and Gentlemen's Best.

--james

LaToja is very, very good. You might also want to try Valobra and Gentlemen's Best

Valobra is already on my radar, never heard of GB, I'll have to look this up. Just when I thought the SADs were under control :lol:

Thanks James!

Shave sticks take all the guesswork out of getting enough soap into your lather. All that crazy talk about soaking puck, swirling 7 times, mashing the brush, loading it upside down, counting to 60, whatever, is intended to help you get the right amount of soap onto your face. It's so much simpler to just rub soap on your face until you can see that you have enough, then hit it with the brush. Totally idiot-proof Shave sticks and pucks are the same product, just in a different container.

PS - shave sticks and pucks are the same product, just in different containers.

Last edited:
Shave sticks take all the guesswork out of getting enough soap into your lather. All that crazy talk about soaking puck, swirling 7 times, mashing the brush, loading it upside down, counting to 60, whatever, is intended to help you get the right amount of soap onto your face. It's so much simpler to just rub soap on your face until you can see that you have enough, then hit it with the brush. Totally idiot-proof Shave sticks and pucks are the same product, just in a different container.

This is what I meant by "now I see the possibilities." Thanks Chris!

One other thing I thought of, I can justify getting more shave sticks because they are smaller and cheaper. Think the wife will buy that? :lol:

This is what I meant by "now I see the possibilities." Thanks Chris!

One other thing I thought of, I can justify getting more shave sticks because they are smaller and cheaper. Think the wife will buy that? :lol:

My wife uses my Arko all the time - they are great for shower shaves. I have moved to shaving in the shower almost all of the time ever since I picked up a stick of Arko and a stick of Palmolive.

So sell her on getting sticks for both of you. :wink2:

I hate the feel of rubbing the stick on my face. It took him over two minutes from the time the stick touched his face until he held the brush up to the camera and was done. I can build a bowl of lather and put it on my face in that amount of time or less, so I don't see it as much of a time saver. Plus, thanks to my Van Dyke, I don't smear it all over my lips so that it gets in my mouth. Blech!:w00t:

Glad some people like em, but they sure aren't for me.

I got my order from vintagescent.com today, and was most eager to try the La Toja shave stick. Wow the lather really is amazingly thick and rich, quite a nice shave. The scent is mild and not unpleasant, if a little odd. The stick smells sort of like toothpaste. When lathered, the scent changes and was somewhat reminisent of the smell from inside a vintage Gillette razor case.:blink: The after shave which I also ordered has a fresher scent and was very pleasant. Finished off with 444 balm, which was nice, but the face freeze was a little weak to satisfy my menthol jones. Overall though very nice shave and nice results.

If it takes more than 20 seconds to rub a stick into your stubble your face is too stinking big.

So far I've used:
1) Valobra - see comments above
2) QED Casablanca - great smelling soap

I have but have not yet used:
3) Speik
4) Taylors St. James
Both smell great and I'm looking forward to using them.

For traveling they are great. At home I like the pucks and creams.

Received my stick delivery of 15 Arko sticks yesterday. Just over a buck a stick. I plan to give a lot of them away, but I think I'll use my open one today! I'm going to grab the La Toja stick in Spain this coming summer!

Top Bottom