What's new

Does Tabac shaving soap smell like Tabac cologne?

I was in Colonial Drug last month and asked if they had a sample of Tabac soap I could smell.

I've heard a lot about it and haven't got around to trying it yet.

Anyway, the gentleman said the soap smelled like the cologne and he sprayed some on a paper strip and gave it to me.

I had an idea in my head of what it smelled like from all the times I've read about it. It didn't smell anything like what I was expecting.

Really, I'd say it smelled like women's perfume. I didn't smell anything that resembled tobacco at all.

Anyway, is that what the soap smells like?

It was a little busy that day and I keep thinking he told me the wrong thing by accident.

It smells like cheap granny perfume mixed with dead bodies...so if that is the impression that sample gave you it is spot on.:lol:

When new, the soap smells awful. Stale, floral perfume. As you use it, it mellows and the other notes come out. It becomes more pleasant and barbershoppy, but after two years I'm still not over the moon about the soap's scent. It lacks the "creamy citrus" quality of the AS and the Eau De Cologne.

Are you sure the salesman sprayed the cologne and not the Eau de Toilette? From what I understand they are two different scents, with the EdT being noticeably sweeter.

First impression wasn't great but now I love it. I did some work in an office I normally don't use and someone said, "Someone smells good today." "Barbershoppy" is a great description. I don't know how to describe it other than fresh and clean with a bit of spice. I enjoy the shave soap the most, followed by the aftershave and then the cologne. It has a charismatic way about it. I think that is a characteristic you want in a good aftershave.

Are you sure the salesman sprayed the cologne and not the Eau de Toilette? From what I understand they are two different scents, with the EdT being noticeably sweeter.

Honestly I don't remember what it was now.

He said it smelled just like the soap, that's why he gave it to me.

If you want to attract older women say 50+ go for it, younger girls will think you smell like an Uncle.

The soap and cologne smell similar until the cologne sits for a couple of hours. Then it smells like powder. And strongly of powder.

be sure to get the eau de cologne instead of the eau de toilette if you want something similar to the soap. I got the EdT and it's way more floral than the soap:lol:

I think we got off topic here.

I'm interested in trying the soap, as I said in the OP.

After smelling whatever it was though, I'm having second thoughts.

I'll probably have to get a shave stick or something just to try it, though.

Kind of hard not to with all the TABAC talk going on here everyday.

Thanks to everyone for their replies though........

The shave stick keeps its smell a lot longer than the puck since it is more contained. If you're worried about the scent staying too strong, go with the puck.

If you want to attract older women say 50+ go for it, younger girls will think you smell like an Uncle.

Women in their 40s will be OK for me, as I am 36. :biggrin1:

I am kidding but the Tabac cologne I got lately does smell really like the shaving soap I have been using during last months, so it must be genuine stuff, I think...

Top Bottom