What's new

Merkur questions- heads exchangable? open comb? closed comb? slant?

I was looking at razors and have not found a slant with open comb, are they made? By who (or whom?

If not, I thought about a Merkur 11c and a 37c, what do you think? (one slant, one open comb)

Since both are 2 piece from what I have read, would the heads be exchangeable on these?
Could you use the same handle for 2 heads, one handle for a slant and open comb head then maybe a closed comb head later on?

Anyone have any thoughts on these specific razors?
Does one shave better than the other?
I have no "real" problem shaving, however, there is a place on my neck that is-
1- hard to get to, (not flat, not so the blade can lay flat)
2- the hair in that area seem to grow in different directions and very hard to shave close, any recommendations?

Thanks!!

The heads are not interchangeable as stated above, also as two pieces the bottom plate is affixed to the handle.

I have both of these razors and I find the 11C fairly mild. The 37C on the other hand will make short work of the tricky spots. I wouldn't say it is really aggressive but it cuts very differently than any other razor I have tried and will give you a nick if you don't pay attention but overall is a very smooth shaver.

Thanks guys!!

SSGDPM- What do you mean "different"?

Which would you recommend?
What would you compare them to?
I have tried most old Gillettes, Merkur Futur and a Megress,
Thanks!

The slant just cuts the hair differently, it seems to just slice right through the stubble. There is less feeling of resistance to me and the razor glides right across my face taking the hair with it. I have a spot on my right jawline that I usually have to do some touch up with when I use any other razor, the slant cleans it right up during my normal 3 passes. I hope that describes it to you, some of the other members maybe able to explain it better than me.

I can't really compare it to any of the razors you have tried, it really is a different animal. It shaves nothing like any of the other razors I have used and that list includes most common Gillette TTO's (5 different SS's, Fat Boy, Slim), New OC, Tech's, Merkur 11C, and a Merkur 34C. The technique is pretty much the same (blade angle, no pressure, etc) but the sensation and results are quite different for me.

Personally, for the areas you describe in your original post, I would recommend the 37C slant. In my experience the Open Combs worked well on my neck where the hairs were laying flat but not so great around my jawline or the spots where my hairs grow in all different directions. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
A lot of good info...

Anyone else care to chime in?
(translation- I can use all the help I can get, LOL!!)

Merkur made open-comb slants, they are discussed here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=80343&highlight=Slants

These are not in production anymore.

I have this one:

proxy.php

This razor gives a nice one pass shave.

There have also been some vintage slants made by Merkur that are 3-piece-razors with the short screwing:

proxy.php

The handle and the heads are exchangeable. You could also try a Hoffritz travel slant the head is also exchangeable:

proxy.php

proxy.php

You can only exchange the heads from the razors with the short screwing. The current HD slant has the long screwing and the head is fixed on the handle.

Last edited:
I have the same problem with the neck hair growing in all different directions (mine has 2 swirls, one on each side of my neck). Is yours like that or just here, there, and everywhere? I just follow the swirls WTG, it seems to work better than just going NS-SN.

Top Bottom