What's new

John Barber Straight

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I just felt the need to buy a razor off the bay for the first time since I don't know when... I'm certain I paid too dear a price but I liked the look of this old John Barber. Who knows how to put a good edge on an antique?
proxy.php

proxy.php

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Maker, John Barber, Sheffield, 1810-1834. Trademark, square and compasses. Inscription illegible but contains Saint Micheal so I had to have it.

I've got a restored John Barber that I got off Undream. It's a fantastic shaving razor. Any honemeister should be able to put a nice edge on it for you as long as the blade is in good nick.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I'm keeping this one "as found" with patina and original scales regardless.

I had made my maximum bid the other day on it as close to $88.88 using a dollar / British pound conversion calculator online. I will end up paying a tad more than what my highest bid. My only thought is either the conversion was correct THAT day but the dollar weakened prior to the end of the auction. I had not seen a John Barber exactly like this one so I'm pleased even at close to $100 US.

I'm keeping this one "as found" with patina and original scales regardless.

I had made my maximum bid the other day on it as close to $88.88 using a dollar / British pound conversion calculator online. I will end up paying a tad more than what my highest bid. My only thought is either the conversion was correct THAT day but the dollar weakened prior to the end of the auction. I had not seen a John Barber exactly like this one so I'm pleased even at close to $100 US.
I've seen these go for way more.

I'm so glad to see that your not gonna mess with it. Any "restoration" would have been plain wrong IMO:

Great score :thumbup:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I've seen these go for way more.

I'm so glad to see that your not gonna mess with it. Any "restoration" would have been plain wrong IMO:

Great score :thumbup:

I had regretted not buying the one shown below that Gugi sold on the BST.
proxy.php

Mine was sent today from England. If I can manage a shave worthy edge on it should make for a significantly memorable Christmas morning shave... Here's to hoping it arrives for that day!

That razor won't shave at all, I can tell from the photos. I'll gladly take it off your hands and save you the embarrassment.

Oooooo.

Go on vacation, and a great razor pops up. :cursing:

Very nice, AH. I'd have bought that if I'd have seen it.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Any idea what the date of origin is for that razor? It's a really neat piece.

I will post some pics in the next few days and someone will try a good guess. My guess since the monkey tail is not as stubby as my Old English Barber might suggest 1820's. It is a beautiful tool to hold.

Top Bottom