What's new

Soap, cream, puck: how to lather?

When I started using a brush, 15 or so years ago, I was using a cheap brush & soap puck from the BX, inside a mug I got from a flea market. I just swirled the brush around the mug until I saw bubbles and applied it to my face. I got decent shaves but have gotten better lather with time and experience. Only recently did I learn that there are better ways to do most of the things I do to my face.

I have to assume that the different forms of shaving lube have different methods of use.

What is the appropriate way to build lather with my: puck from Col Conk, my soap from Taylor of Old Bond Street, and my cream from C.O. Bigelow?

Cheers,

Tony

So, squeezing the amount of water from the brush after soaking depends on whether soap or cream is used..........if soap, squeeze all the water out; if cream, leave some water in?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
So, squeezing the amount of water from the brush after soaking depends on whether soap or cream is used..........if soap, squeeze all the water out; if cream, leave some water in?

I reckon it's the other way around. Creams require less water than soaps... But yes, it varies from 1 product to another. if you want to play it safe, squeeze all the water out and add as required... Eventually you will know how much you need. You will then get rid of the un-wanted water when you squeeze it from the brush.

I know the golden rule of these sites is to read more and post less but when I got my tub of Taylor of Old Bond Street the consistency and texture was so different from my Col Konk that I thought the two had to have completely different methods to maximize the capabilities of both.

Great advice though...I reread most of the posts and a few I didn't catch before. Thanks for the assist!

Cheers,

Tons

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I know the golden rule of these sites is to read more and post less but when I got my tub of Taylor of Old Bond Street the consistency and texture was so different from my Col Konk that I thought the two had to have completely different methods to maximize the capabilities of both.

Great advice though...I reread most of the posts and a few I didn't catch before. Thanks for the assist!

Cheers,

Tons

Don't be shy, if you have any questions, chances are that some are having the same questions!

Top Bottom