What's new

Weber charcoal chimney

Gents

For the past year I've been using an own brand chimney to light the coals for my barbecue. Fully loaded it takes about 1 1/2 hours for the coals to be fully lit.

I've now bought a Weber chimney which is bigger but also has more holes which I assume will increase the air flow and heat the coals much quicker.

Fully loaded how long does it take for the coals to be fully lit?

Thanks.

I haven't used mine in a long time (as I have a propane lighting system in my Weber) but I know that it never took that long. Could the charcoal available to you in NZ is that much different from what we have in the US?

I use mine all the time.

I estimate that it takes twenty minutes at most for all the coals to be glowing.

I use mine all the time.

I estimate that it takes twenty minutes at most for all the coals to be glowing.

That. Fully loaded it usually takes about 20-25 mins. Some wont be completely lit at the top but I normally pour it out and let the flame settle for a few so its ready to grill.

I haven't used mine in a long time (as I have a propane lighting system in my Weber) but I know that it never took that long. Could the charcoal available to you in NZ is that much different from what we have in the US?

No it's the same coal!

The chimney I was using is quite small and accordingly narrow with a single row of air holes at the bottom only. The weber chimney is much bigger and wider with three row of air holes at the level of the coals as well as very wide air holes at the base.

The weber chimney looks to be more efficient in drawing air, and seems to be so based on the answers given.

I have a Weber chimney and I start it over the propane jet in the Weber kettle grill (table version). Take maybe 15-20 minutes tops with the propane for the coals to be ready at least 3/4 up the chimney. By then, I dump them and let them finish lighting for a few while I get other stuff ready.

No it's the same coal!

The chimney I was using is quite small and accordingly narrow with a single row of air holes at the bottom only. The weber chimney is much bigger and wider with three row of air holes at the level of the coals as well as very wide air holes at the base.

The weber chimney looks to be more efficient in drawing air, and seems to be so based on the answers given.

Wow. I guess you made a wise purchase. ENJOY!

No it's the same coal!

I had one that sounds very similar to the one you are describing. It dosen't hold a candle to the weber. If I recall, the grate that supports the coals is flat on the off brand one and cone shaped on the weber. I've always assumed this is what makes the big differance.

I use mine all the time and 15-20 minutes is normal with lump charcoal. I assume briquettes would take a bit longer to light, but I don't know. A couple of sheets of newspaper are all it takes.

I had one that sounds very similar to the one you are describing. It dosen't hold a candle to the weber. If I recall, the grate that supports the coals is flat on the off brand one and cone shaped on the weber. I've always assumed this is what makes the big differance.

Same here. Had the tall skinny one with the flat sheet metal with holes cut in it. The weber is definitely better since it's wider and has grates instead of holes. Makes for better heat transfer. Timewise, I think they're the same. Then again, I usually have a beer in my hand when I'm lighting these coals, so time don't matter =P

I have the Weber chimney and it takes about 20 minutes for a full chimney.

If it took 1 1/2 hours with your old one, then you have made a MAJOR upgrade!

I use 3 sheets out of those free real estate listings newspapers they have at the grocery stores. I just grabbed a whole handful of those when I bought my Weber grill and accesssories last year. :lol:

Top Bottom