What's new

Bought my first single malt

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Bowmore 12yr for $32 at the duty free in Cancun.

How did I do? What have I got myself into?

I saw two guys run up and pick a bottle while I was browsing. So I just grabbed what they grabbed.

Bowmore is a good solid Single Malt.

It comes from Islay (pronounced I la). When the barley has been steeped and germination commenced, thereby converting starches to soluble sugars, germination is stopped by indirect heat. The heat comes from peat which is burned in kilns under the malting floor. The heat and smoke rises from the kiln bathing the barley in smoke. Peat is naturally rotted vegetable matter, ordinarily leaves and grass. On Islay there are no trees and the peat is formed from seaweed. This gives Islay whiskies a particular slightly medicinal flavour.

All Islay whiskies have a noticeable smokiness, more so than Single Malts from other regions. Islay whiskies are complex and layered. Enjoy it neat at first and after the first couple of sips add a couple of drops of water which will change the flavours and open out the whisky.

Enjoy!

Bowmore is often said to be the lightest (in terms of peatiness) of the islay malts. It's a good introduction to the world of islay malts and soon you will want to delve into the smokier world of the laphroaig and lagavullins.:lol:

Drink it with a splash of water to loosen the floral notes and whatever you do.. do not down it like a cheap shot. Islays are meant to be slowly sipped and savored.

But as an first buy, I would recommend something from speyside rather than islay :)

Last edited:
Bowmore 12yr for $32 at the duty free in Cancun.

How did I do? What have I got myself into?

I saw two guys run up and pick a bottle while I was browsing. So I just grabbed what they grabbed.

What are the odds? That was my first bottle of Scotch as well. Not a bad choice. If you think it isn't quite enough, then I would go down the Lagavulin, Laphroiag road. If it is too much I would go down the Highland road.

I picked up a bottle of Speyburn 10 year Single Malt the other day and am slowly getting use to it I have always been a vodka drinker but figured at less than 20 bucks for a bottle I would give it a try.

I picked up a bottle of Speyburn 10 year Single Malt the other day and am slowly getting use to it I have always been a vodka drinker but figured at less than 20 bucks for a bottle I would give it a try.

Vodka?

Vodka is to Scotch as Norelco is to Merkur...

Do they have Costco near you? Righ now at the store by me they have The Macallan 17 for $69.00. It's quite a bit more than you just spent but it's going to be a bit sweeter and smoother, might be an easier way to work up to Islay Malts. Oh yeah it also normally retails for about $140.00 so it's an amzing deal.

How I envy you to be in a state that allows places like Costco to sell liquor. You have to get it at ABC Package stores here in SC.

Top Bottom