What's new

Frustrated...

Guess I need to learn to ask all sellers on eBay france shipping rates. Just won a straight for 10 euro and the person sends me an invoice for shipping costs of 23 euro.

I asked to ship as a letter (which usually costs 3-5 euro) and from my french translation back it said something to the effect of sorry you have no power here.

Contemplating not paying and taking a negative or just paying up and counting it as a lesson to ask every international seller shipping fees. Sad thing is I've probably bought 10 straights on there and never paid more than 5 euro shipping.

Uggggg, frustrated.

Ahh sorry to hear. I didn't see anything about shipping out of france if it's the Auction I'm thinking of, so I didn't bid on that one.

Tough break. I've never ventured onto any of the oversea ebay sites but even here I tend to avoid ones that don't have shipping listed. Or if I'm really interested I'll email the seller. Most have been pretty good to communicate with.

I always ask about shipping a day or two before the auctions. I was once quoted to pay 20 euros or so on shipping...even though the razor sold for 5 euros! Most have reasonable rates though.

Ahh sorry to hear. I didn't see anything about shipping out of france if it's the Auction I'm thinking of, so I didn't bid on that one.

Tough break. I've never ventured onto any of the oversea ebay sites but even here I tend to avoid ones that don't have shipping listed. Or if I'm really interested I'll email the seller. Most have been pretty good to communicate with.

Yeah, I'll probably just chalk this one up to lesson learned, bite my lip and pay up. The razor itself is probably worth $50-75 once cleaned up anyway, so it is not a terrible deal.

In the future when there is no shipping listed I'll make sure to ask before bidding.

Just tough to pay 23 euro shipping on a 4 oz razor when I only had to pay 23 GBP for shipping on a 5lb charnley forest hone and box from england. Oh well....

Joe, I feel your pain. I've been caught a couple of times myself.
There is a particularly nice TI on ebay France at the moment that I was thinking of trying but I asked the seller what the postage cost is to Australia and I was told it would be 40 Euros :mad3:

Just make sure you leave negative feeback around being overcharged for postage.

Check the price of the postage stamp and correlate it with the fee, don't forget there will be packaging costs, if they don't match by quite a margin then complain, If they do then in my opinion it's on you for not asking.

Check the price of the postage stamp and correlate it with the fee, don't forget there will be packaging costs, if they don't match by quite a margin then complain, If they do then in my opinion it's on you for not asking.

yah, this is good advice.

i had a guy quote me 50usd for a single razor shipped from MI to me here in Sydney :blink:

If the shipping cost was mentioned your only recourse is a complaint about unreasonable shipping charges with eBay... assuming he's pocketing that money and not shipping via a costly method. However, I sell to international eBayers a lot and I insist on registered mail since it is the ONLY way to keep an international eBay buyer from saying they didn't get it and then I have zero recourse. So my international shipping charges are usually $15-25. I state it clearly and I get a LOT of questions about it from buyers looking for $5 shipping in an envelope and my only option is to tell them "Sorry, I have to ship it with registered mail to protect myself and it's against eBay rules for them to request cheaper shipping and wave their ability to claim nondelivery (because that was common a few years back)".

The unusual part is that even with international shipping costing 3-5x as much as domestic on my auctions I STILL get a solid 25%+ of my buyers being international (almost makes me want to raise shipping even more because filling out all those forms in the PO before work is a pain).

Guess I need to learn to ask all sellers on eBay france shipping rates. Just won a straight for 10 euro and the person sends me an invoice for shipping costs of 23 euro.

I asked to ship as a letter (which usually costs 3-5 euro) and from my french translation back it said something to the effect of sorry you have no power here.

Contemplating not paying and taking a negative or just paying up and counting it as a lesson to ask every international seller shipping fees. Sad thing is I've probably bought 10 straights on there and never paid more than 5 euro shipping.

Uggggg, frustrated.

Last edited:
If the shipping cost was mentioned your only recourse is a complaint about unreasonable shipping charges with eBay... assuming he's pocketing that money and not shipping via a costly method. However, I sell to international eBayers a lot and I insist on registered mail since it is the ONLY way to keep an international eBay buyer from saying they didn't get it and then I have zero recourse. So my international shipping charges are usually $15-25. I state it clearly and I get a LOT of questions about it from buyers looking for $5 shipping in an envelope and my only option is to tell them "Sorry, I have to ship it with registered mail to protect myself and it's against eBay rules for them to request cheaper shipping and wave their ability to claim nondelivery (because that was common a few years back)".

yah, this is good advice.

i had a guy quote me 50usd for a single razor shipped from MI to me here in Sydney :blink:

I'll admit it was completely my fault for not checking on shipping international (it wasn't listed and his domestic shipping charge was 4 euro). I added the razor to my watch list and saw it today with no bids on it and took a gamble.

I'll just check the postage cost when it arrives. If sent as a letter for 3 euro then I'll complain. If sent registered then I have no right to complain. Oh well, I need to stop buying razors anyway and start unloading the ones I won't get to restoring or the ones I don't really use anyway.

I'll admit it was completely my fault for not checking on shipping international (it wasn't listed and his domestic shipping charge was 4 euro). I added the razor to my watch list and saw it today with no bids on it and took a gamble.

I'll just check the postage cost when it arrives. If sent as a letter for 3 euro then I'll complain. If sent registered then I have no right to complain. Oh well, I need to stop buying razors anyway and start unloading the ones I won't get to restoring or the ones I don't really use anyway.

Yeah if he sends it letter I'd threaten to file a complaint for shipping overcharge with eBay. eBay takes that seriously since it's usually done to avoid paying their fee's. My guess is if that happens he will refund you the difference.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's why I always ask before I bid...

It depends how the shipment is made from over there. The seller doesn't always ship in bubble envelop which would boost the cost... I guess I have the advantage of asking in French directly... I had good deals in the past!

Top Bottom