What's new

Hello + Christmas gift ideas for a soon-to-be-newbie?

Just wanted to say "Hello!" to all the fine folks here at B&B, introduce myself, and hopefully get some suggestions for Christmas gift ideas to help me get started in the world of DE wetshaving.

First, a little background... I'm a 24yo with significantly less facial hair than you'd expect on your average 24yo :blush:... let's just say that I've been mistaken for a high school senior before. Nevertheless, the facial hair I *do* have (upper lip, chin/jawline, and small patches on my cheeks) does need shaving and ever since that has been necessary (when I was 18 or so) I've been using a Norelco rotary; I just didn't see the need to put any effort into the whole ordeal because the electric got it close enough (and my hair didn't grow fast enough) to have to worry about 5 o'clock shadow or anything like that, and the few times I did wetshave I always ended up with nicks and razor burn and it itched something fierce at the end of the day (I was never really taught how to wetshave, just picked it up myself remembering what my Dad did). Recently, however, 5 o'clock shadow has become somewhat of an issue, and the electric just isn't doing it for me anymore (plus using it every morning isn't so nice on my skin, either). I've been wetshaving nearly every morning for the past month and I'm almost through the stash of free sample cartridge razors I accumulated when they all came flooding in the mail around my 18th birthday (Thanks Gillette and Shick!). I've gotten quite a bit better at not nicking myself and the razor burn isn't nearly as bad, but I just couldn't believe "well, that's the way it is", so I hit the internet looking for some tips on improving my shaves and getting rid of the irritation. Lo and behold, I stumble upon B&B...

So, I've been lurking and reading for almost two weeks, and I definitely want to give DE shaving a try. I'm hoping to order some equipment very soon, mainly because, as I said, I'm on my last free sample, a Fusion (seriously? 5 blades? o-v-e-r-k-i-l-l). I've narrowed my first razor down to a Merkur (34c or 23c) or the much-touted EJ DE89L... just need to make a decision and pull the trigger there. I'll pick up a sampler pack of blades to go along with whichever one I end up getting, as well. Since all I really *need* is a razor to replace the Fusion in a week or so, I haven't been paying as much attention to where I should start as far as brushes, cream/soaps, and pre/post "product(s)". I figure I still have half a can of Gillette Sensitive Skin Foam and plenty of aftershave with aloe vera, so I can get by with that until I can spend the time researching where to start with the other stuff.

But then I got to thinking, I have a tendency to be pretty... conservative... with money (unnecessarily), so spending even $35-40 on a brush, $15+ on a brush/razor stand, and any more than $10 on cream or soap is not something I'm likely to do. However, with Christmas coming up and my family constantly asking, "What do you want for Christmas," and having relatively few ideas for them, why not ask for some nicer shaving equipment to get me off to a good start? Here's where you all come in (and I know you will!)... what do you suggest for gift ideas? Specifically, a good all-around brush to start with, some recommended soaps and/or creams, etc? I've been eyeing the Edwin Jagger 3- and 4-piece gift sets, but I know there's a nearly infinite selection to choose from, so I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm tired of that Gillette foam drying out on my face 30 seconds after I put it on, so the sooner I can start really pampering myself with rich creamy lather that actually helps and smells good to boot, the better :)

Oh, and thanks in advance... I'm hoping this is the beginning of a "new era" (for my face, lol)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Welcome to B&B! You have many excellent choices to take in consideration. Regarding razors, I suggest getting an Edwin Jagger DE 89 or a Merkur HD. These two are great for beginners and are sold at reasonable prices almost everywhere. Regarding blades, your best option is to get a sample pack. Nothing seems more subjective than DE blades. As about brushes, you can get an excellent Semogue boar at a very low price or several quality badger brushes without breaking the bank. Some brands that come to mind are Vulfix, Simpson, EJ, etc. Finally some great inexpensive brands for soaps and creams are Proraso, La Toja, Speick, Palmolive, etc. So many wonderful choices!

mjl5007,

Welcome to B&B. Like you, I too am I n00b! I now currently have 5 DE shaves under my belt. First things first is toss that can of goop in the trash! Before my 69 Gillette Super Speed arrived I started shaving with Cream using my Mach3. There is nothing wrong with Soap but I wanted to try the Cream after watching Mantic's Video.

I ended up buying the Art of Shaving Cream as I was refereed to use it due to my sensitive skin. It absolutely rocks compared to goop! As for the brush that's a tough one, you can spend $100.00's on a great brush. I dove in an ended up getting the Edwin Jager Brush as it was not top dollar, but also not a cheap one either. I have been very pleased with it and it's getting softer and softer with each use.

Key is a good sample pack of blades!!!! I have noticed a huge difference from Gillette, Derby, and Personna Red's. Each face is different and so is growth so you will need to try and find the one that meets your liking. As for the Razor there are so many to buy, I heard Gillette's where great to use but to buy the Merkur. I popped for the 69 Gillette because of the butterfly opener, and it was $10.00 on Ebay. Sure it was dirty but I just cleaned it and I am super happy with it.

Good Luck!

Welcome to B&B. A great time of year to begin DE shaving and acquiring gear as presents. For the razor, look no further than the EJ89L. A superb quality razor with a not too aggressive shave. My first brush was an EJ Medium Best. I've added a a few since but it still forms part of my rotation and is great for both soaps and creams. Most would agree creams are easier to lather for beginners, however, some of the soft soaps in particular lather just as easily, and generally give better slickness over creams. Try, for example, my favourites:- Cella, Valobra and Proraso. All superb soaps at a great price considering the quality. A blade sampler pack is a essential. Happy shaving. You won't be looking back to a fusion!!:thumbup1:

David

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B.

First, you do not have to spend a fortune on shaving equipment when you first start out. There are many good products that are not that expensive. You can check out the prices with the vendors on this site.

Now as to specific recommendations.

Creams: Proraso, Godrej (any variety), Palmolive, Cella, are just a few examples of good creams that all are less than $10.

Brush: Many on this site like the Omega boar and Tweezerman brushes as starter brushes. I have no opinion on these two since I never tried them. I have used a Caswell-Massey Badger and Bristle Brush which currently sells for $35. I have used this brush in my rotation and it is a decent brush.

Razor: Take a look at the B/S/T forum to see what is up for sale. You can often pick up a quality razor at a reduced cost. Some of the Gillette vintage razors are good - and do not cost that much.

As far as a brush and razor stand, you can buy that later if you want. It is not a necessity to get a good shave.

Before you start, however, you should read the wikis and stickies on this site so you don't start shaving without the proper knowledge. Look here and you should have a good starting off point.

And, as always, if you have any questions, just ask. :001_smile

Hello, and welcome!
Enjoy the forum, it really is a nice place.

As for your gear:

Razor: I second the EJ89. It is a well built hassle free shaver. No regret. Dive into vintage later, you'll enjoy it.

Brush: How about the old Semogue 1305? Great inexpensive (USD 13.95) way to start. An inexpensive silvertip is the New Forest at 35 GBP.

Soap: Are you in the US? A good bowl of Mama Bear (the Rosemary Mint maybe) or Queen Charlotte (excellent Lavender) will go for under 10 USD.

Cream: Proraso. Legendary cream. Quite menthol-ish.

Good luck!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
mjl5007:
Welcome to the B & B :shaving: and it sounds like you're off to a great start, but please do take your time because Wet-Shaving is a 'journey' and not a race (oh by the way..I love my Merkurs 23C & 38C).

And yes...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and alround 'know-how' to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here :w00t:

Also, once you get time....please tell all of us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum :biggrin1:

Christopher :badger:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130110

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700

Hello, and welcome!
Enjoy the forum, it really is a nice place.

As for your gear:

Razor: I second the EJ89. It is a well built hassle free shaver. No regret. Dive into vintage later, you'll enjoy it.

Brush: How about the old Semogue 1305? Great inexpensive (USD 13.95) way to start. An inexpensive silvertip is the New Forest at 35 GBP.

Soap: Are you in the US? A good bowl of Mama Bear (the Rosemary Mint maybe) or Queen Charlotte (excellent Lavender) will go for under 10 USD.

Cream: Proraso. Legendary cream. Quite menthol-ish.

Good luck!

+1. Welcome to B&B!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. Glad to have you aboard. I think the razors you are looking at are good razors, I have never used them. Another option if you do not want to spend a lot of money is check out the B/S/T on this forum. There are great Vintage Gillettes on here very reasonable, some may be over 50 years old, but they sure do shave great.:thumbup:

Whatever you choose have fun and enjoy the ride.

Top Bottom