What's new

The 4 Minute Shave

I decided to see how quickly I could pull off a DE shave this morning while in a hurry. I passed on the hot water rinse first, thinking that if cold water shaving seems to be all the rage, why waste time on hot water. I lathered up with good soap, a badger brush, and a mug and off I went. I made one full, serious ATG pass, lathered back up for a fairly casual touch-up, and rinsed with cold water. A pretty good shave sneaking up on BBS, no nicks, no cuts, and no razor burn. Time 3:58. I think I can do better.

That's fast. It takes me 4 minutes just to decide what creams, soaps, etc. I will be using! :w00t: But since I am retired, I have no interest :w00t:in rushing my shave. :001_smile

There are times when I can take my time and luxuriate. But I'm not retired, and there are times when I have to do things quickly. Given that environment sometimes, it's nice to know that I can still get a good, quick DE shave.

4 minutes and risk angering the shave gods? Perish the thought. By the time I open the drawer, stare at 10 tubs of cream, open tubs and sniff, then move my gear to the bathroom, at least 5 minutes has gone by. If I shave and clean up in under 20 minutes, chances are I didn't enjoy it. Retired, so relaxation and enjoyment of the shave is always my goal.

Wow, it took me more than 4 minutes to shave in the shower with the old setup: canned goo and power fusion. I'm getting faster with DE shaving, but I would be happy if I could finish the whole process in 15 minutes.

ace43:
Wow...:a47: that's fast but I must say please do take your time because Wet-Shaving is a 'journey' and not a race. :001_rolle

Christopher :badger:

Journeys can be accomplished at various speeds. Sometimes the reduced pace of the journey makes it what it is. But there are times when the journey is not possible and a simulacrum of it is all that is possible. In those cases, a simulacrum is better than nothing at all.

You'd be surprised. It's a piece of cake. I can do it easily, and I'm only into DE shaving one month and 20 shaves.

Everybody's beard is different; some guys can get away with one pass ATG and others cannot. I don't think I'd recommend other people try it just because it works for you.

The furthest I can go is using Proraso pre-post instead of the hot towel and getting a three pass shave with a touch of buffing under my chin. Still no way I can get under 5 minutes with making lather and shaving.

I remember watching Grandpa shaving with his DE in less than 5 minutes. Yet I must confess he (and I, thanks genetics) had a very light beard and no hair in the neck.

For all I can remember he did with 2 passes, WTG and XTG, but I can be wrong, it was a long time ago.

In his later years he switched to electric and I was fascinated at that black, heavy Braun machine.:tongue_sm

the entire propose of this kind of shaving is to take your time
and enjoy the pleasure of wet shaving so take your time and enjoy
unless your in a hurry like we all are in some occasions
:thumbup1:

Takes me around 20 mins to do a 3 pass shave with a 4th touch up. Did a single ATG recently(5 mins) to test the reaction and it was fine. No rash at all. But it was hell to think I was missing out on 15 mins of shaving, even though I could every day if I had to.

David

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good that it worked for you. I think it's a good experience now (shaving) so I wouldn't rush anyways... I would be late!

[YOUTUBE]KK-aMKyepoQ[/YOUTUBE]

Here's my first run with the WMTR from Bill Ellis (please ignore the cat-terruptions). The shave begins at 0:50 and ends at 3:30. The video is sped up 2x, so 5m20s for a two-pass straight razor shave with a lather pass in between.

Do I always shave that fast? No. Can I? Sure. Lots of guys can.

I've done <3mins with a Tech/Feather combo plenty of times when I'm running late. Faster if I don't lather up. But, where's the fun in that?! :001_huh:

Ultimately, this is a good test of technique. When in a hurry, you start substituting things for technique - pressure, mostly. Doing a good, quick shave without irritation may suggest your technique is sound.

I shave in the evenings so I can relax and enjoy it . If I have to do a 4 minute shave it is with a Bic Steel Disposible and Barbarsol!

[YOUTUBE]KK-aMKyepoQ[/YOUTUBE]

Here's my first run with the WMTR from Bill Ellis (please ignore the cat-terruptions).

Dude, what the heck is going on with the door in the background? :lol: I can't stop laughing!

BTW, watching you str8 shave makes me want to learn to do it! Maybe one day.

The issue with the door is cat-terruptions, as he said. I have to put up with dog-terruptions occasionally, and it can slow one down.

Top Bottom