What's new

Looking for a more aggressive razor

Hey guys I love my razor. I have a Gillette Super Speed razor. I get a really good shaves. I have very thick course hair. Tonight while I was shaving I was thinking about purchasing a new razor with a part of my tax return.

My question is would I get a better shave out of a Merkur HD or Futur? I would like to see my final pass be a little easer. I get baby smooth face, but it takes effort. I have tried many different blades. Some perform better, but I sill have the same problem.

thanks guys
Kirk

You could try a Gillette red tip. They are a more aggressive shaver than regular superspeeds. Another option is an adjustable: fat boy, slim or Super Adjustable. All are frequently found on eBay and less frequently on B&B.

I have them all and you can get as aggressive shave as you want with them.

Good luck.

jim

If you wan't to stay with a Gillette, you can get a Gillette open comb "new model" razor for about $8.00 to around $15.00 on e-Bay.

Also a Merkur slant bar razor.

Dare I say it?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Slant / Feather!

Of course the Vision would also answer the call too. Not only would the Vision plow right through your tough thick beard, but you'd be able to make some beautiful music as you go! This one sings to you, (no lie).

You could try a Gillette red tip. They are a more aggressive shaver than regular superspeeds. Another option is an adjustable: fat boy, slim or Super Adjustable. All are frequently found on eBay and less frequently on B&B.

I have them all and you can get as aggressive shave as you want with them.

Good luck.

jim

I believe Jim has a very good solution, the red tip IMO is a pretty substantial leap in aggressivness from you SS. If that is not enough, slap a Feather in it.

If you wan't to stay with a Gillette, you can get a Gillette open comb "new model" razor for about $8.00 to around $15.00 on e-Bay.

Also a Merkur slant bar razor.
IMHO - The NEW is a great razor but I would put it in the mild category, even though it is open comb.

I just cleaned up a New & Improved or New Standard (not sure which but here is a link to what I am talking about) and am finding that it feels a little more aggressive then the NEW. Still not what I would call an aggressive razor but (IMHO) more so than the NEW.

I would second the suggestions of looking for an adjustable so you can dial up the aggressiveness to your preference.

Happy hunting!

Kirk - I don't think you can go wrong with either the Futur or the HD. IMHO, I would go with the Futur. I have a thick and course beard which the Futur handles very easily. The adjustability allows you to make the razor as aggressive as you would like. Believe me, you can turn the Futur into an extremely aggressive beast. Furthermore, I like the size, weight and sound the razor makes as it shaves. You should read the reviews of the Futur as I believe they do a good job of detailing the razors high point and low points. Lastly, you could think about getting both and embracing your RAD!

I agree on the Futur. I've tried HD and Slant, and the Futur just plain gets my there faster than ANYTHING else. I think it is a much better razor than the Slant. If I had to pick two razors (DE that is, leaving out the straights), the Futur would be one of them. (The first would be my British Gillette Aristocrat #16, which is little, if any, more aggressive than your SS). The adjustability is great, and fun to mess with, and it will go WAY up there.

One suggestion though. While 3 (out of 6) is probably as far as you should ever need to open it, if you try it wider open, which I'm sure you will, be careful of your technique. DE users are split between the head on your face and lower the blade till it just starts to cut school, and the blade and safety bar against the face school for finding you angle. I don't know which, if either you normally do - makes little difference on a Super Speed. But if you try a Futur opened up, do the first, of the love of your face. If you use the safety bar to guide your angle, the blade will be so steep that it will scape, and tear up your face. If you do it the other way, keeping the angle flat as you can, you will get the smoothest one-pass shave you've ever gotten, especially if you use a feather.

-Mo

For a more agressive shaver, get a straight. Fully exposed blade with infinitely adjustable angle of attack... ;-)

OK, so that was not really the question... can't help myself!

I cast my vote for either a Slant or a Red Tip . I have very good results with both and I have a tough , heavy beard to contend with.

IMHO - The NEW is a great razor but I would put it in the mild category, even though it is open comb.

I just cleaned up a New & Improved or New Standard (not sure which but here is a link to what I am talking about) and am finding that it feels a little more aggressive then the NEW. Still not what I would call an aggressive razor but (IMHO) more so than the NEW.

I would second the suggestions of looking for an adjustable so you can dial up the aggressiveness to your preference.

Happy hunting!

Dave,

Your link is to a New Standard, and I agree that it's a more aggressive shave than the NEW. I use both and find that the NEW gives a close and comfortable shave, whereas the New Standard's shave is also close but a bit rougher. I use my smoothest blade - a Swedish Gillette - in the New Standard, and the same or a Derby in the NEW. Both are nice shaving razors IMHO.

jim

The Vision would be my pick! It works for me...Never tried the slant, only because I cannot imagine a closer shave than the Vision provides. Others say they will shave as close as the Vision, so might give consideration to them as well.

I'd vote for the Futur as well. I think it might even beat out my trusty Merkur Classic as my favorite Merkur.

You want an aggressive razor? Keep an eye on e-bay for a Barbasol. Thank Merkur HD on steroids or a Gillette adjustable overclocked to about 15. Mine so aggressive I can't shave with it which is too bad as it's a awesome hunk of razor. Bob.

Well I just won a fatboy on ebay for a few dollars under $20. I will give it a try, and maybe I will buy the Murker HD and Future in a few weeks. Thanks guys

Top Bottom