What's new

A more aggressive razor to solve razor burn??

I've been wet shaving for about 9 months now with mixed degrees of success. When I first started after the first week I was getting good shaves, but then some razor burn started to develop. For the most part I use TOBS shave cream, a '56 Gillette Super Speed, and Astra razor blades. The razor burn wasn't nearly as bad as I was getting with a cartridge razor, but never the less still present. It was still a better shave than I have ever had with a cartridge so I stuck with it, but about month and half ago I got the feeling that maybe the super speed wasn't aggressive enough. I have a light to normal beard, but the whiskers are very thick and course. I bought a merkur 34c hd and changed nothing else, and now I'm getting razor burn free shaves consistently. Has anyone else felt that a more aggressive razor actually helps with razor burn? I used the Super Speed because I figured a less aggressive razor would make me less prone to razor burn (along with the nostalgic reasons). Turns out the more aggressive Merkur 34c actually is better for me.

It might, depending on how you go about your routine.

When you were using the cartridge razor, do you feel like you were applying more pressure and/or making more passes?
Likewise with the Super Speed, more pressure and/or passes?

I started with a Merkur 1904 open comb, and routinely flayed my face with it. Like you, I'm also using a Merkur 34C HD, and I'm getting great shaves.

I feel like the razor burn issue is 50% equipment and 50% psychological in the sense of "OK, I'm using a more aggressive razor so I should probably be more careful."

Also, after 9 months your technique's likely improved :biggrin1:
(I'm probably in the same boat as you - better technique = less burn)

- ice

It might, depending on how you go about your routine.

When you were using the cartridge razor, do you feel like you were applying more pressure and/or making more passes?
Likewise with the Super Speed, more pressure and/or passes?

I started with a Merkur 1904 open comb, and routinely flayed my face with it. Like you, I'm also using a Merkur 34C HD, and I'm getting great shaves.

I feel like the razor burn issue is 50% equipment and 50% psychological in the sense of "OK, I'm using a more aggressive razor so I should probably be more careful."

Also, after 9 months your technique's likely improved :biggrin1:
(I'm probably in the same boat as you - better technique = less burn)

- ice

I think Ankur (ice) has nailed the issue.

First, the tendency with lighter razors is to apply pressure rather than letting the weight of the razor do the work for you.

Second, with nine months behind you most likely your technique is a lot better.

Yeah, I must say I think I do notice a difference in the amount of pressure I use between the two razors. With the superspeed I try to let the weight of the razor do the work, but I always seem to apply a bit of pressure to get it to cut. This is not the case with the 34c. I can simply put it on my skin and glide it. I just found it odd that the superspeed gave me a mild case of razor burn, but the merkur 34c does not.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 on technique improved...

Also, some razor can be a bit more aggressive or a bit less and give you a very different result...

I got razor burn from a weishi a number of times. Much better results from an old style open comb for me. I discovered that I was pressing with the weishi. I also notice that my shave is closer the lighter I hold my razor, as I apply less pressure and am simply moving the razor over my face with the correct angle.

Increasing agressiveness can cause reduced irritation. My weishi gives a better shave after getting better technique, but I rather not use it regularly.

Phil

Same here: a more efficient razor (R41) allows me to get closer faster, and thus without irritation.

I do agree that also the more you feel the blade, the more careful you are, and so you tend to shave better. That's my experience at least.

With the milder razors I've had, I felt like not only I could, but also should go over the same spot several time. Indeed, I couldn't feel the blade work and, although it did work, it didn't cut close enough that I didn't have to get back to the same spots over and over again. In short, I was carefree for one thing, but also the head didn't take enough on the first pass.

As has been highlighted before in this thread, it's a combination of different aspects of shaving.

Oh, and also: growth pattern. I used to go right against the grain in some tiny areas because I felt like I could. However, the ingrowns I got after reminded me that pregressive reduction is something one should always bear in mind. With my R41, I can feel the nick coming in those problematic areas, and so I back off, feel with my fingertips, and get the hairs from another angle.

Welcome!

IMO, you have lots of things that are changing. The largest issue is technique, which is likely improving with time. (This is a good thing!) As you improve, you will get less irritation with any kit.

The 34c is a good razor. I also like Astras. I suggest you stick with that combo until your technique is really solid before moving on (on not!)

I think the difference is mostly technique but Merkurs are really well designed and engineered razors. I get consistently good results with them more often than with any of the TTO Gillettes.

Top Bottom