What's new

Best Aluminum free deoderant?

I have found some department store perfumer brands' deodorants to work very well, like Chanels, Issey Miyake's and Dior's (that last one contained alcohol a few years back so I couldn't keep using it -worked very well though). C&E Nomad is great as well. Their sandalwood turns skunky on me... :001_huh:

Great timing on the thread!

I was actually planning on going to Whole Foods tonight to pick up some Tom's Woodspice (and try some KMF cream for the first time, and maybe some Dr. Bronner's soap...) I will be happy to report my results. No C&E here, but maybe I'll order some.

Even if there are "no health risks" associated with antiperspirants the fact that it blocks a naturally occurring bodily action should cause someone some concern. When it comes down to modifying how one's body operates you should always be careful - the "pill" for one comes to mind.

Besides, the "rumors" of breast cancer caused by these sticks have persisted long before the mass adoption and use of e-mails, and while it can be an urban legend, it's not something some people would want to test.

On that note, I stopped using deodorant altogether. By shaving my arm pits I can sufficiently reduce my odor footprint and will pass under the radar under most circumstances.

I'm a crystal man myself and have been for about 15 years. Wonder if I'll ever think of changing.

X

I was fairly impressed with the Tom's Woodspice today. At the end of the day (7 am to 7 pm), very little detectable odor... I doubt it's anything that someone standing near me could pick up on. Of course, this is winter... I'm curious how this stuff holds up in the summer, as I tend to perspire fairly heavily. But so far I'm impressed, as most deodorants quit on me in just a few hours.

Initially it left a white residue, although it seemed to fade away with a little time. That's about my only complaint at this point.

I often use a crystal deoderant, but this can and has caused some irritation - especially in the summer.

I'll have to try some of the product listed above in the winter - less risk of offending anyone if the product doesn't work and if it can't cut it in the winter, there's no way its going to make it through the summer!

Is aluminum only/mostly used in anti-perspirants or is it also used in "plain" deoderants?
I've been using regular Speed Stick deoderant for years, checked the label last night and there is no aluminum in there. I stopped using anti-perspirants a long time ago because they irritated my skin (and it just seems kind of unnatural when I started thinking about it)

I just wanted to mention that C&E deodorants are 50% off right now at ShopLondons.com. I added a stick of Nomad to the order I placed the other day. I've been using Tom's of Maine deodorant exclusively for just about a year now and have found it to be quite effective, but I thought I'd try something else for variety.

Is aluminum only/mostly used in anti-perspirants or is it also used in "plain" deoderants?
I've been using regular Speed Stick deoderant for years, checked the label last night and there is no aluminum in there. I stopped using anti-perspirants a long time ago because they irritated my skin (and it just seems kind of unnatural when I started thinking about it)

Oly in AP. Ingredient is called 'aluminium chlorohydrate' (or similar). Mennen regular doesn't contain it.

Even if there are "no health risks" associated with antiperspirants the fact that it blocks a naturally occurring bodily action should cause someone some concern. When it comes down to modifying how one's body operates you should always be careful - the "pill" for one comes to mind.

Besides, the "rumors" of breast cancer caused by these sticks have persisted long before the mass adoption and use of e-mails, and while it can be an urban legend, it's not something some people would want to test.

On that note, I stopped using deodorant altogether. By shaving my arm pits I can sufficiently reduce my odor footprint and will pass under the radar under most circumstances.

You *might* have a point there, but I have a valid counter-point: you have millions (?) of pores, and a great deal of skin surface; your underarm skin is a very small percentage of toal surface area/pore volume. How much damage can closing off 0.005% of your pores really do?

I have good success with the deoderant crystal. I thought it was a bit expensive. Turns out it lasts a long time and is less than standard deoderants.

I've also used the suds of a Neem soap that I found in an Indian foods store(from India). It dries quickly and I put it on a few minutes before dressing. I like rotating anti-bacterial items to avoid bacterial resistance.

I've notice that those underarm stains on my clothes have also disappeared.

Kerry

I won't tell you not to rotate, but the whole issue of anti-bacterial personal cleansing items is nothing more than a fancy bit of advertising to get more people to buy an item. Soaps in general are going to be anti-bacterial. I read something a few years back saying that anti-bacterial soaps did no better than regular soaps - the most important factor is how long and how thorough you are when washing. Most of the bacteria on your skin you want to keep there - it is as important as the bacteria that lives in your intestines. Harmless bacteria serves as a protection against harmful bacteria - if your skin is swarming with harmless bacteria, it is hard for a relatively small population of harmful bacteria to take hold, as they will have to compete for resources.
The resistance thing also doesn't really apply here. Resistance in bacteria that you hear about causing multi-resistant strains is against antibiotics, like penicillin, streptomycin, methicillin, etc. The agents put into soaps are not antibiotics, rather some kind of antimicrobial chemicals that broadly kills bacteria - things like bleach and ethanol will do this, and bacteria don't develop a resistance to bleach or ethanol.
Just $0.02 from a microbiologist. You don't need to rotate a product you use to prevent bacterial resistance. If you like it, and it doesn't irritate you, keep using it. If your purpose is merely to kill bacteria, buy yourself some of that gel hand sanitizer, which is primarily alcohol in a gel, and smear that in your armpits. That will kill off the bacteria.

How long a rumor persist is not directly proportional to how true it is. How long have there been rumors of a Loch Ness Monster or a Bigfoot? I would be more suspect of a rumor that has been around for a while than a new rumor, because if it has been around for so long, and it were true, you would think that eventually somebody would have come up with some evidence to move it out of the realm of rumor.
All of the major cancer organizations, including the American Cancer Society, have repudiated this claim. There is just no evidence at all.
As for disrupting natural body functions, this one in particular is meant to cool you off. Just as you will not disrupt your automobile's air conditioning system by shutting one of the vents, you won't harm yourself by plugging up a few sweat glands.

I have tried several aluminum free deodorants (toms, kiss my face, urban cowboy etc) and have yet to find a deodorant that works longer then 12 hours!

i've said it before, i'll say it again...aubrey's men's stock herbal pine deodorant is the best "personal care" product i've bought...ever.

if you want to go natural and have some sort of wetness protection as well (pretty rare), this is it...they use calamine as the antiperspirant; i sweat quite a bit; in fact, back in the day i even used prescription-strength stuff to control it, but i gave that up for a number of reasons.

it doesn't completely eliminate underarm sweat (which isn't a bad thing), but it dramatically reduces it for me and keeps me smelling good at the same time.

Top Bottom