What's new

Difference between Gem and Gem Junior 1912?

I just picked up two 1912's.

One is marked Gem and the other Gem Junior.

The heads look almost identical I think?

The Gem Junior handle is actually longer than the regular Gem.

They are both stamped 1912.

So why is it called a Gem Junior?

I can take pics if needed.

Thanks!

I have the same thing...sorta.

GEM Jr (not 1912 marked) and GEM with a shorter handle, but a curved blade door. Not marked Damaskeen though. Any idea what I have?

Sorry for the threadjack...

I just picked up two 1912's.

One is marked Gem and the other Gem Junior.

The heads look almost identical I think?

The Gem Junior handle is actually longer than the regular Gem.

They are both stamped 1912.

So why is it called a Gem Junior?

I can take pics if needed.

Thanks!

As far as I can tell the "Junior" means absolutely nothing. Some years they put it on, some they didn't. If you look at enough of them you'll see identical razors, some with the word Junior, others without.

I have the same thing...sorta.

GEM Jr (not 1912 marked) and GEM with a shorter handle, but a curved blade door. Not marked Damaskeen though. Any idea what I have?

Sorry for the threadjack...

Those are travel models. I have two that are both in cases that have the rounded door and short handles. Neither one is marked Damaskeene.

Waits Compendium points out a difference between the 1912 style Junior and the other 1912s. The tab on the back of the head that you press on to open it is smooth on the Junior, and indented on the other 1912s. I can confirm that mine are that way. Of course, this makes no difference in how it shaves, and doesn't really explain the name "Junior".

There were several pre-1912 models that had Junior in the name, like my 1907 Gem Junior Bar. Again, it's not obvious what is Junior about them.

send pics it helps:thumbup1:

I know, I know. I meant to do that earlier! The GEM in question is on the right. So is it a Damaskeen- or are the travel 1912s just have the rounded door? Sorry, still new to this SE thing! Shaving with the things is a hundred times easier than figuring out what you're shaving with :tongue_sm

proxy.php

Here are some more pics of another razor I picked up while we are at it. Also an old one I had that was broken.

This Gem Junior has a plastic handle. It's funny because it isn't even close to being straight. The head sits off kilter on the handle.

I thought it was bent until I unscrewed it.

The other silver Gem 1912 is one I got a while ago. One of the blade holders is broken off. So I think I'll switch the 2 of these for a 1912 Frankenrazor :thumbup1:

Might as well take a pic of that while I am at it...

View attachment 135327

View attachment 135328

View attachment 135329

View attachment 135330

View attachment 135331

Waits Compendium points out a difference between the 1912 style Junior and the other 1912s. The tab on the back of the head that you press on to open it is smooth on the Junior, and indented on the other 1912s. I can confirm that mine are that way. Of course, this makes no difference in how it shaves, and doesn't really explain the name "Junior".

There were several pre-1912 models that had Junior in the name, like my 1907 Gem Junior Bar. Again, it's not obvious what is Junior about them.

Received this Junior yesterday - note the tab has the common indentation:confused1

Top Bottom