What's new

Will metal polish be enough for this razor?

I recently won this razor off of the bay. It seems to be in quite good condition, no pitting, just some surface rust near the pivot hole, and some staining. Would using metal polish be enough on this razor to remove a majority of the staining etc? Or should I sand down everything and start from square one?

Of course, pics will be helpful. Straight off the ebay auction. This is a Geo Wostenholm and Son razor, I have never seen on like this from them before! The scales are pretty much gone, so I removed those, and will eventually be replacing them with the "Faux Wood Brown" scales from the superior shave. And for fun, does anyone like to venture to guess how much I ended up paying for this? Take a shot! :laugh:

Blade looks in great shape, cant tell everything from the pics but, Maas or some metal polish will def take care of most of the staining if not all, other then that u can do 1500 wet/dry sandpaper and polish it back up with some mothers MAG , but i would not go near that goldwash unless u want it to come off. Also from the pics the scales look in decent shape why u trashing them?

Ah, that picture ended up much smaller than it should have. Here, this ought to help:

full

I was going to stay far away from that goldwash, luckily it is in very good condition.

The scales were completely shot. They were badly sun damaged. The scales were supposed to look like that brown, but they had faded to the light brown/orange color, and they were very rough, not smooth like the plastic should have been.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Legion

Staff member
It looks pretty good. I can see a few little active rust spots which may require attention. Try some MAAS or similar and see how you go. As Thewatermark said, steer well away from the gold bits.

What are you going to do for scales?

It looks pretty good. I can see a few little active rust spots which may require attention. Try some MAAS or similar and see how you go. As Thewatermark said, steer well away from the gold bits.

What are you going to do for scales?

Thanks. I was going to pick up some MAAS soon.

I chucked the scales. You can kind of tell in the second picture how the two sides are different, in their reflection etc. The scales also felt very rough, they were also very discolored on the inside too.

It will clean up with some polish but looks like there is some pitting on the spine but other than that looks like it will be a good looking blade.

It will clean up with some polish but looks like there is some pitting on the spine but other than that looks like it will be a good looking blade.

Pitting? I just took another look at it, and there isn't any pitting to be seen. There was a spot of dirt, and one very small one of rust, but that's about it. I didn't realize how scratched up the top of the spine was though, I may have to sand that down. :glare:

I think metal polish would be good enough. You can use a few q-tips on the blade around the gold logo areas. The polish will strip away the nice gold so just you qtips and wipe off with qtips too. That will allow you to maintain the look.

Top Bottom