What's new

Hopefully going to try Smoking soon

...Not cigs *shudders* lol

But BBQ Smoking. Ok Lately I've been watching Man vs Food from thew beginning, I love it..I love everything about it, especially when they show all the BBQ stuff, and every time I see a Pulled Pork sandwich I want one more and more and I've been wanting to get into this type of thing ever since and since I pretty much joined this board and seeing all you guy's smoked pics, they look too good to eat when I see them and I want in..by god I want in.

Thing is, I'm not sure what I should be looking at, I've got a Smoker in mind lined up, nothing fancy, something just a Weber Compact Kettle (http://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/products/product-view.aspx?id=899)

The other thing is, for something like a simple Pulled Pork, do I need to get some rubs made up for it or can I just pop it on the grill and leave it for some good hours? I know Rubs would make things better but I don't know any good rub recipes.

If anyone else has any tips on what else I can look into for buying for the smoker please feel free to tell me (Coal types, spices, sauces, or just tips on smoking would be appreciated)

Thanks guys.

I have the Weber your link leads to and I think it's a great purchase.

I'm not greatly into smoking beyond this: I soak wood chips for a good hour (at the moment I'm using Jack Daniels chips) in water; when the coals are glowing I spread them on the grill and dump the chips (strained from the water of course) on the coals; put the cooking grill back on and put the lid on, after a minute or so the BBQ builds up a great deal of smoke which you can cook in. I've had some salmon which was really beautiful done this way.

As a tip I strongly recommend getting a chimney to light your coals. It's a never fail way to light your coals.

Congratulations on your enthusiasm for BBQ!

Using a kettle grill as you linked to for BBQ is possible and good results are obtainable.

Cooking a pork butt for pulled pork for 12 hours on one would more than likely cure you of the newly acquired enthusiasm quickly!:lol:

To keep and maintain temperatures in the 250 range you would need to monitor and add lite coals about every 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.

If you are looking for pure BBQ rig then this Weber is what you want-

proxy.php

This will allow you to set the fire and walk away for several hours at a time.

We can get you started with easy rub recipes as you begin.

A word about smoke- you want very thin blue or black smoke, not billowing white smoke.

I've been using a Cookshack Smokette for a few years and although a bit expensive the results are outstanding.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I know Rubs would make things better but I don't know any good rub recipes.

Rubs are the easiest thing in the world to make, and it's downright silly to buy any prepackaged ones.

Start with equal amounts of garlic, onion, and paprika powders, plus half quantities of ground coriander, chili, and cumin, then experiment by taste from there with salt, sugar, pepper, etc. The possibilities are limitless, but a simple yet effective rub can be prepared in a flash.

I use my Webers, Bullet and Kettle, regularly, weather be damned. In addition to the great information you can get from this board go here, The Virtual Weber Bullet and you should get all of your questions answered. The people who populate it are true BBQ fanatics and very helpful.

As a tip I strongly recommend getting a chimney to light your coals. It's a never fail way to light your coals.

We're good on that point, we've got a tiny bbq that needs upgrading and we've got a chimney that came with that which does us good when we use it.

Congratulations on your enthusiasm for BBQ!

Using a kettle grill as you linked to for BBQ is possible and good results are obtainable.

Cooking a pork butt for pulled pork for 12 hours on one would more than likely cure you of the newly acquired enthusiasm quickly!:lol:

To keep and maintain temperatures in the 250 range you would need to monitor and add lite coals about every 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.

If you are looking for pure BBQ rig then this Weber is what you want-

proxy.php

This will allow you to set the fire and walk away for several hours at a time.

We can get you started with easy rub recipes as you begin.

A word about smoke- you want very thin blue or black smoke, not billowing white smoke.

12 hours..jesus,I don't mind though, I can prep at night, start in the morning and look after her through the day, i'm home everyday looking after our new baby girl so I'll always be near ^^

Unfortunatly, as the webber you linked to looks and sounds amazing..price is a bit too out of our range, it's 700 Aus Dollars, the webber i'm looking at is only 200 which we can afford. Though if we do get lucky in the lottery I'll pick up the big one lol.

I use my Webers, Bullet and Kettle, regularly, weather be damned. In addition to the great information you can get from this board go here, The Virtual Weber Bullet and you should get all of your questions answered. The people who populate it are true BBQ fanatics and very helpful.

Bookmarked and browsing thanks for the link

and thanks for the help guys, don't know when we'll get it, but it is Summer here in Australia and Summer + Aus = Lots of Q'ing When it's time for Rub's I'll take a gander over here, I'm guessing prepping the meat over night and letting the rub settle is better in the long run right? Marinading is always nicer over time.

I have a small smoker with sidebox I find things like chicken and beef can be dome in about 3-4 hours, the long smoking periods are able to be done but require constant checking although you might try smoking it for several hours for the flavor then transfering it to a slow cooker in a small amount of water till it falls apart.

There are a few herbs which you can grow almost anywhere which are useful in rubs. My kids have a kitchen spice garden. We have fresh sage and other good rub spices (parsley, etc.) for much of the year.

Jim is right. Almost any metal barrel can be made into a great smoker. I am sure that people in your part of the world are making smokers.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Where I live finding the meat is maybe the hardest part. I found my butcher . . . but it is not as if the grocery store can even understand what I want/need.

If you are going to get the Weber kettle grill (which it sounds like you are), I would suggest checking out the youtube videos by the "bbq pit boys". They have some awesome recipes and use the Weber Kettle almost exclusively. I have a 22.5 in (57cm) Weber kettle which can produce some amazingly good bbq, but does require a little more attention than the Weber Smokey Mountain (or most other true smokers for that matter). Just make sure and utilize the "Minion Method" for setting up your coals and they should burn for at least 4-6 hours until needing to add more.

Here's a video for pulled pork
[YOUTUBE]owAlv4XT2dQ[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a video showing the "minion method" on the Weber kettle with a beef brisket "flat"
[YOUTUBE]k0PYZL8lMrA[/YOUTUBE]

The rub recipe I use is very easy and delicious with pork. It's equal parts: coarse salt, coarse ground black pepper, brown sugar, and sweet paprika. I made a total of 2 cups and just keep the rub in a tuperware container to use whenever.

Another suggestion is to stay away from mesquite wood. It can very easily overpower any meat. I generally use Hickory.

Good luck and just have fun with experimenting to find the techniques that work best for you.

-Jake

Last edited:
If you are going to get the Weber kettle grill (which it sounds like you are), I would suggest checking out the youtube videos by the "bbq pit boys". They have some awesome recipes and use the Weber Kettle almost exclusively. I have a 22.5 in (57cm) Weber kettle which can produce some amazingly good bbq, but does require a little more attention than the Weber Smokey Mountain (or most other true smokers for that matter). Just make sure and utilize the "Minion Method" for setting up your coals and they should burn for at least 4-6 hours until needing to add more.

Here's a video for pulled pork
[YOUTUBE]owAlv4XT2dQ[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a video showing the "minion method" on the Weber kettle with a beef brisket "flat"
[YOUTUBE]k0PYZL8lMrA[/YOUTUBE]

The rub recipe I use is very easy and delicious with pork. It's equal parts: coarse salt, coarse ground black pepper, brown sugar, and sweet paprika. I made a total of 2 cups and just keep the rub in a tuperware container to use whenever.

Another suggestion is to stay away from mesquite wood. It can very easily overpower any meat. I generally use Hickory.

Good luck and just have fun with experimenting to find the techniques that work best for you.

-Jake

Just watched the Minion Method video and..that seemed easier than I thought it was going to be, I had in my head some complicated method where you had to keep an eye on it every half hour or so, lol but it seemed easy enough, check the hickory wood from time to time and I want to do this Now =(

and thanks for the suggestions guys but as i said, the big ol Smokers, way out of our price range, as much as I would love one, I can't =/

A friend of mine has an offset smoker/grill almost identical ( maybe is identical) and really likes his as well.

I really like my Char Griller...I have the number 1224. Got it through Wally World for less that $200 US.

http://www.chargriller.com/store/grills.php

Looked 'em up for England...wow, what a price difference...

http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Appliances,Small-cooking-appliances,Smoker-44103

Oops, you show to be in the UK, but in your post you say Oz. Don't know what prices are there.

Top Bottom