What's new

Salt!

Didn't see anyone talking about using salt with their coffee grounds. I was turned on to this a few years ago and have been using it ever since.

Just put a pinch of Kosher salt in with your coffee grounds prior to brewing, regardless of the method. It will cut the bitterness, and it really brings out the flavor of the beans. Remember though, if you can taste the salt you put too much in.

My Old Grandpa put salt in his coffee grounds for years. He died in 1981 at 90 great and blessed years....I am now almost over the age of retirement...I have been doing the salt thing for over 50 years...sure makes great coffee..:thumbup::thumbup:....Allen

I remember my mom doing that while I was growing up. She said she learned it from her grandmother. It is not a practice that I have continued with. Just lazy I guess.

If you're a Tom Clancy fan, you've seen references to "Navy coffee", that has salt in it. Any comments from Navy folks? My mom was a WAVE during WWII and never heard of it (but she was stationed at MIT).

Another additive I've heard of is adding egg shells to the grounds to promote clarity.

Another additive I've heard of is adding egg shells to the grounds to promote clarity.

I'd seen my mother do that too. She said it made the coffee taste better.

If you're a Tom Clancy fan, you've seen references to "Navy coffee", that has salt in it. Any comments from Navy folks? My mom was a WAVE during WWII and never heard of it (but she was stationed at MIT).

I remember my brother joking that he thought they put saltpeter in everything in the Navy when he was in.

Well, I was in the Navy and yes they put salt in but the reason salt was put into coffee was to compensate for the fact the brewers were in terrible shape and had all kinds of residue in them and seriously affected the taste. I doubt anyone who currently considers themselves a coffee affection-ado would allow their gear to become like that. They used to do the same thing where I worked and for the same reason.

I come from a Navy family, 3 generations, we have always put salt in our coffee grinds. I still do when I make a big pot, but with the Keurig I don't now.

Salt to counteract the bitterness is compensation for bitterness.

Good coffee isn't bitter. Do it right, or do it wrong. Don't perpetuate the use of a crutch as a replacement for doing it right, whatever you decide.

In the southern US many foods and drinks are prepared with either too much salt or too much sugar. But I had never known anyone to ever brew their coffee with salt. I can hardly imagine it. :blink:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I grew up hearing about salt and eggshells helping with coffee. From time to time I've tried both. I find even a single shake of the salt shaker is very noticeable in a 12 cup pot of coffee . . . and for me . . . I don't like it. Egg shells make no difference to me.

Salt to counteract the bitterness is compensation for bitterness.

Good coffee isn't bitter. Do it right, or do it wrong. Don't perpetuate the use of a crutch as a replacement for doing it right, whatever you decide.

I'll buy that. I never use it, but salt is a flavor enhancer, so some folks might like a small amount.

I think eggshells are used for those who boil their grounds (yuck!!) to cut the murkiness. As Jasonian mentions: good coffee that is brewed correctly needs no "help"!

Last edited:
The science behind this is that water with higher chloride will produce a less bitter drink. Salts in the water is a big thing in beer brewing. Brewers will balance out their chloride and sulfate levles depending on the beer brewed. A higher chloride level will produce a beer more suited to be malty. Sulfate emphasized bitterness. Its no coencidence that the Burton-on-Trent region of England is so famous for its Bitters and IPAs. Its water has exceptionally high levels of chloride.

Back to the coffee. I'm assuming the same thing applies here. Salt is sodium chloride. Adding salt will add some amount of chloride and balance out the bitterness. If you have very hard water, adding salt will probably help more than someone with soft water.

Top Bottom