What's new

Is this worth more than the $20 I paid?

Hi Chaps!

I have an unsmoked, 1945 Marxman Benchmade pipe in the original box with the original little dangly tag, the pipe bag/sleeve, and even the warranty. :w00t:

I don't know if there is any kind of value in the pipe vis-a-vis collectability or not but I just can't bring myself to smoke it. Yet.

So, what's the deal with "collectible" pipes?

Cheers and thanks in advance for any responses/info!
-Greg

Hi Chaps!

I have an unsmoked, 1945 Marxman Benchmade pipe in the original box with the original little dangly tag, the pipe bag/sleeve, and even the warranty. :w00t:

I don't know if there is any kind of value in the pipe vis-a-vis collectability or not but I just can't bring myself to smoke it. Yet.

So, what's the deal with "collectible" pipes?

Cheers and thanks in advance for any responses/info!
-Greg

Greg can you post a photo?

Jimmy Stewart smoked one, It kind of depends the 400's are somewhat collectible as well as the Heirloom models, according to Hackers guide. If you have all the paper work give me as much info as you can and I'll do my best to tell you what you've got.

edit: I just noticed you said it's a Benchmade. They were lower mid-level pipes, essentially Superbriars that had some minor flaws and carved to minimize them. That being said, definitely worth more than twenty, but not especially valuable. As a smoker you'd be hard pressed to find a better smoker at 3-4 times the price as long as the engineering looks good, the quality of the briar was pretty good and 6-7 decades of additional cure time couldn't have hurt it any.

Last edited:
Good morning, and thanks for your replies, Gents!

Jim, I will try to do that this weekend.

James, thanks for the info. Yes, I can see some very minor flaws but otherwise the pipe is just perfect. If I remember correctly they sold for something like $7 new which I guess was no small amount of money back then but certainly, too, I didn't have any allusions that it would to the level of a Dunhill. I am pretty sure that it will be a great smoker, I am just having a hard time getting to that first smoke with it as it is so pristine. BUT, it was made to be smoked, right?? :w00t:

-Greg

Top Bottom