What's new

Cigar Of The Day (COTD)

Courtesy of a friend! Thanks metalheadYcigarguy

$PicsArt_1418434938322.jpg

La Perla Habana Black Pearl Belicoso

I'm trying to burn through some of the random sampler singles that I've got. Anything that's known to be good, I have multiples of, or have related cigars, I've got sitting in my humidor. The rest is in my overflow bag with a couple of Bovedas. I'd like to eliminate the overflow.

I had no idea what to expect from this, but the dark wrapper looked tasty and I haven't tried this vitola yet, so I figured I'd light it up. Surprisingly good medium smoke! Nothing's jumping out at me aside from the taste of dark tobacco, but for an early afternoon around the house, that's not a bad thing!

H. Upmann Half Corona. Perfect little short smoke, taste is entirely different from the H. Upmann Magnum 50 I had the other night.

Had one of the My Father's Belicosos today that I purchased and had resting in the Humi for a couple of weeks. It was 50° out, so it was warm enough to smoke outside. The cigar started off with a coffee note that blew me away. It had tasted as strong as if it was infused. This got my attention. The coffee disappeared quickly though and led into a wonderfully balanced tobacco flavor with caramel and cream notes which kept throughout the the second third. The final third brought on pepper and leather, with the leather carrying until the end. This is one heck of a cigar that produces copious amounts of creamy smoke. I smoke a cigar looking for great tobacco flavor(except when smoking the cheap ones) and this one did not disappoint.

The negatives were that the wrapper was cracked in the Humidor. I hadn't noticed when I put them in, but I felt this should be the first one I try. The wrapper split a few more times, and I'm not going to blame this on the cigar, just yet. It may have been I didn't let it rest enough. The burn didn't require any touch ups, but it was not razor sharp either. No biggie for me. The cigar is very light in weight, which surprised me. It has a wonderfully tight look after cutting off the cap, and the draw is superb. This stick did however get slightly mushy because of the looser construction of the body. The ash was very light, and because I was outside, I did not give it a chance to grow longer that an inch. It rolled off when touched with my pinky, and fell away as dust. Not necessarily a bad thing, for me at least, since that did not detract from the taste.

Overall, an excellent cigar. I just wish they were cheaper.

Top Bottom