What's new

Cigar Of The Day (COTD)

Por Larranaga Encantos (ER Asia 2010)

proxy.php

2014 Bolivar Belicoso fino that was smooth but probably the mildest one I've ever had. Also had a 2014 H. Upmann Magnum 50. Haven't been a big fan of them since the original release. But this cigar was excellent.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Spectre Robusto. I thought that since these have latakia in them, and I like a good English blend, I might like them. In the end it was a bit of a disappointment. For a pipe smoker who truly appreciates a good cigar it might be pretty good. For me, a pipe smoker who only has the occasional cigar and has never learned to really appreciate them, it didn't live up to my (probably unreasonable) expectations. I generally smoke Black & Milds or Backwoods, with the occasional "real cigar." I guess what I was hoping for was something like an English blend, but all rolled up in a stick. Removing it from the cellophane, that's certainly what it smelled like. But smoking it, it tasted like a cigar. Towards the end, I got a whiff of burning hair, but I think that's because my mustache was overhanging the ember. :lol:

$IMAG1999.jpg

I had one while I was out splitting wood, because I thought it would be a little handier than a pipe, not requiring tamping, but it wasn't. It's just a bit too big, so I ended up drooling more, and having to chomp down pretty hard to keep it in my mouth. That end ended up being pretty nasty looking.

Yeah, that's approximately how I felt about the one I tried. I did pick up a little latakia in it, not completely absent, but it neither promised nor delivered on my hope that it would be like an English blend rolled up in a more convenient format.

Kilroy6644

Yeah, that's approximately how I felt about the one I tried. I did pick up a little latakia in it, not completely absent, but it neither promised nor delivered on my hope that it would be like an English blend rolled up in a more convenient format.
Yeah, it wasn't bad. I'm sure if I had another cigar to compare it to, I could pick out the latakia, but I don't. All I have is pipe tobacco, and this certainly isn't a Black & Mild English (which I think is a fantastic idea).

One evening during a visit to a friend's house on Vieques, we sat on his front porch drinking Medalla cerveza, listening to the coquis croak, and smoking cheap flavored cigars from the gas station. They seemed pretty good at the time.

Kilroy6644

Had another Spectre while splitting wood today. I tried stuffing it in the bowl of a clay pipe to make it a little easier to handle, but that didn't work so well, so I ended up smoking it the normal way. It was a better experience than the other day, mostly because I knew what to expect. I could enjoy it as a cigar, rather than thinking it would be similar to a pipe.

Top Bottom