What's new

Top 5 DE Confessions

What are your top 5 Traditional Shaving Confessions? Things that you do (or don't do) which would be contra to the general opinion or ethic exhibited in this forum, or something related to shaving that you are a little sheepish about?

Here are mine:

1. I cannot find the time to shave traditionally (completely) every day. Many weekdays I use my old Sensor with a brush and one of our excellent creams.

2. I still cut myself with my Slant, though it is becoming less frequent.

3. I hate the smell of Bay Rum, Aqua Velva, and Old Spice. I associate them with my Dad's generation.

4. I have an unnatural affection for my Shavemac brush. Sometimes I just take it out of the cabinet and admire it.

5. I believe deep in my heart that the makers of multi-bade systems (mainly Gillette) do planned obsolescence and make duller catridges over time in order to encourage you to buy the new system.

Those are mine . . . and you?

Vin

I guess mine are:

1. I still use a Sensor all the time too. I actually like it alot.

2. I don't care for Bay Rum either. I'm OK with Aqua Velva & Old Spice. One of these days I'm gonna pull out the Hai Karate. :ladysman:

3. I like alcohol based aftershaves.

4. I could get a decent shave from Edge gel & a disposable Bic if I had to.

5. I'm not a big fan of anything with the Merkur or Rooney name on it.

1. I just sold my B&B brush because it's too big and floppy.

2. Having multiple brushes has no appeal to me. I'd rather have more razors.

3. I think an adjustable Gillette makes a fine razor for a newbie.

4. I bought a slant months ago but still haven't used it.

5. I don't like almond anything.

jim :biggrin1:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
1. I bought Jim's B&B brush because its Big and Floppy
2. I still have way too many razors
3. I'd rather have more brushes
4. I bought a Slant..it never touched my face and I sold it
5. I like Chocolate Almond Ice Cream couldn't shave with anything almond.

Still new to DE- but here goes....

1. Love my Vision- but have just purchased a Slant

2. Acquisition syndrome is great but not when you have a budget- I want it now!

3. Not sure about more brushes or more razors yet- but I am swimming in creams, bars, and other such items

4. Sometimes I will use my twin blade Schick disposable to finish off my upper lip- doesn't draw any blood

5. I takes me almost 45 minutes to finish my shave- 4 total passes with another clean up pass- just having too much fun and hope this lasts forever

6. I cut down trees, I wear high heels, Suspendies and a bra, I wish I'd been a girlie, Just like my dear papa :biggrin:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Excellent, thought provoking topic, Scruff.

1. I'm not particularly impressed with Trumper creams.
2. If a styptic pencil, properly dried, is supposed to last for years, why do I go through three of them a year?
3. I don't think Proraso splash is anything special, even though I love their other two aftershaves.
4. I started shaving with a straight, have a dozen or so stones, consider myself to be pretty decent at honing, and still think that folks who say that straights are smoother than DE's are making it up.
5. I occasionally glance at SMF for advice (sorry, I needed five!) :lol:

1. I really really do not like the Slant. I don't think it is over aggressive, scary, or likely to leave me bleeding pulp. I just think it is a lousy razor.
2. I don't usually try to shave BBS. Takes to long, to easy to irritate myself, and I don't see the need.
3. I LIKE the burn of alcohol on my face, to wake up and refresh after a shave. And the more irritated my face is after a shave, the more likely I am to reach for something with a lot of alcohol.
4. I often skip shaves. I don't mind the unshaven look, my beard is even and full coverage, my girlfriend thinks it looks sexy, and I'm a little lazy.
5. Rose cream? You must be kidding.
6. The blade pulls. Always, if there is more than 6 hours growth. Merkur blade, Feather blade, Feather Super Pro AC blade, straight razor honed within an inch of its life (not by me), Dog's Bollocks. They ALL pull.

-Mo

1. If I don't have time to shave with a DE, I don't. I work by myself during the day so it is not a big deal.

2. The grain is so screwed on my neck I will never get BBS all over no matter what.

3. Now that I have experienced a goodly amount of things, I could be really happy using only one brush, razor, soap, probably two aftershaves, and just a few colognes for the rest of my life if need be.

4. I don't think there is much of a difference between (well-made) razors - I can get a decent shave with any of them that I have used so far.

5. I don't like using liquid anything on my face (hydrosols, witch hazel, alcohol aftershaves, splashes, etc...) after I shave. I prefer aftershaves that are thicker like gels or Skin Food in consistency.

I could probably think of about 10 more....

Dennis

1. I have expanded beyond the allowable limits of my designated shave space in the medicine cabinet and bathroom closet (granted its a modest space allowance) and now have a few shaving items sitting in a box in my basement jam room, lest my wife figure out I have an acquisition disorder. I'll discretely rotate them into the container in the bathroom closet to make sure that "no soap gets left behind".
  2. When I am rushed for time and using soap, I'll skim up any available "proto-lather" off the puck and around the soap container and smear it into the lathering bowl to make sure I have enough to generate lather for the shave instead of keeping at it with the brush.
  3. I sometimes go over an area with the razor that I haven't re-lathered.
  4. I know what my shaving limits are (number of passes, places not to go ATG, etc) and will go over those limits resulting in irritation in order to see if I can figure it out and get to a higher shaving plane of existence.
  5. I read shaveblog.com

1. I have no idea what bay rum smells like.

2. I'll huff soaps even when I'm not shaving.

3. I will not stand around holding a hot towel to my face and I wonder how people do this.

4. I'm a sucker for the manly scents of rose and lavender (I can't wait to try Trumper's Violet).

5. I think the Vision is fugly in a gratuitous sort of way and that a gold Slant is the pinnacle of razor aesthetic.

I sometimes go over an area with the razor that I haven't re-lathered.

1. I often go over an area that I haven't relathered.
2. I can't stand any of the flowery scented soaps or creams!
3. I'd have excess creams, soaps, brushes and razors all over the place if it wouldn't get me in trouble with SWMBO.
4. I'm still using my boar bristle brush and am likely to purchase either a slant or a straight razor before I get around to finally ordering a Shavemac brush.
5. I never, ever wear cologne because strong scents like perfumes, colognes, cigarettes, cigars, body odor, etc., give me migraines.

1. Sometimes being too enthusiastic with "Indulgence of the Night" can make SOTD a fearful prospect :laugh:

2. As the grain pattern on my neck is like a tapestry, if I have five minutes to get out of the house (including putting on my shirt etc) The 2nd pass is likely to be with a Mach 3

3. I find it increasingly difficult to camouflage my new creams in order to hide my SCAD from her indoors.

4. Soaps dry out quicker on me

5. When I'm bidding on ebay for a CENSORED :wink: why is each winning bid greater than the previous auction?

1. i still take 20/30 mins to shave
2. I dont use my fat boy
3. I never take the time and care properly shave past the first pass.
4. Everytime I buy a new cream, I wish I picked a different one.
5. I sometimes wonder if I took the time and care to shave with a mach3 as I do with my vision that I wouldnt get just as good of a shave.

1. I don't like the smell of Proraso.
2. A brand new Derby feels like a Feather that's been used for a week.
3. I thought my B&B brush was too big and floppy but now I love it.
4. I once cut my ear whilst shaving.
5. I have a sneaking suspicion that we're all a bit wierd!!

1. At this point, I don't believe I will ever get a BBS irritation free shave on my neck. My beard hairs are too "tuff", and the beard pattern is too erratic.

2. I wonder if I spent as much time, money, and patience on using a cartridge razor, if I could tell the difference from a DE.

3. Most shave creams(coughT&HcoughCastleForbescoughCoatescoughTrumpercough)are insanely overpriced. I don't care how long it lasts.

4. The last thing I needed was another "hobby".

5. On a clear night, if you look due west of the North star and squint just a bit, you can see what looks like the face of King Gillette shaving with a Fusion.

1) I wonder what it would be like to shave my wife with my aristocrat and body shop cream :001_tt1:

2) I am to cheap to really indulge in most of the top of the line soaps and creams.

3) I can't see spending $110+ for a brush.

4) I want more razors.

5) I want more strait razors, some strops and hones.

6) want to teach my wife to shave my face with a strait.

1. I threw 3 of the 5 Merkur blades from my sampler pack in the trash.
2. I couldn't even shave with the my Salter Vetiver sample; I washed it down the drain. The smell reminded me of one time when I was a rookie cop driving the paddy wagon and a drunk who'd been drinking Aqua Velva puked in the back. Thank God for Scotto's "try it before you buy it" program.
3. I currently own more razors than pairs of underwear (and I've got a lot of underwear.)
4. Even though I switched to a DE razor months ago, I still shave in the shower.
5. I sometimes take the lids off my Tabac soap and Taylor's Sandalwood cream for a little whiff.

Top Bottom