What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

A gift from @jiminyshiznit at the Las Vegas Pipe Show. From his own personal master blender.

This was a jar of LBF from '09 that I stoved for 80 minutes.. basically canned it in a boiling water bath, then left the jar sealed for about a month before opening. I experimented with stoving a few different tobaccos a couple of years ago, and the LBF was my favorite.. to my palate, it became smoother and richer than the non-stoved jar (both jars were from the same box). Some people do this in a crock pot, and I've even heard of people in hot climates leaving tins in the trunks of their cars. The canning method worked well for me.

This was a jar of LBF from '09 that I stoved for 80 minutes.. basically canned it in a boiling water bath, then left the jar sealed for about a month before opening. I experimented with stoving a few different tobaccos a couple of years ago, and the LBF was my favorite.. to my palate, it became smoother and richer than the non-stoved jar (both jars were from the same box). Some people do this in a crock pot, and I've even heard of people in hot climates leaving tins in the trunks of their cars. The canning method worked well for me.
Well, I don't have a side by side comparison, but this stuff is spot on delicious.

Currently enjoying my second bowl of it, this time in the El Dagner.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Well, I don't have a side by side comparison, but this stuff is spot on delicious.

Currently enjoying my second bowl of it, this time in the El Dagner.

I've done a few A/B tastings of Mat's stoving experiments. I remember LBF and I think Old Gowrie, and maybe HoTW. In general, I'm really impressed with the effect stoving has. It's almost like instant age. The blends that were stoved were richer and smoother. Now I've heard that a blend won't age as well after stoving; something about the heat killing some of he microorganisms responsible for the changes that take place while aging. Seeing this pop up again is a good reminder that I need to stove a few things!

I've done a few A/B tastings of Mat's stoving experiments. I remember LBF and I think Old Gowrie, and maybe HoTW. In general, I'm really impressed with the effect stoving has. It's almost like instant age. The blends that were stoved were richer and smoother. Now I've heard that a blend won't age as well after stoving; something about the heat killing some of he microorganisms responsible for the changes that take place while aging. Seeing this pop up again is a good reminder that I need to stove a few things!

I was just reading a GL Pease article about this the other day, and that's basically what he says. But it does seem to have a very positive effect if you're not going to be able to age a blend.

Penzance in a Baki meerschaum...
$P1130383.jpg

Straus Tobacconist's Sleepy Hollow in a cob.

This stuff is damp... even after letting it sit out for an hour. That said, it took the charring light pretty well. We'll see how it goes.

So, I didn't make it to the Eltang table early enough to score a tin of Brown Sugar Flake, but I did get a sample of a few flakes. Smoking the last of them in a Dagner P3...

$DSCF1984.jpg

A celebratory smoke. Just finished negotiating for a new car at a price that I'm happy with. Now paperwork and waiting as they prepare to build and ship the car....

~ Penzance in a Moretti Pot.

Top Bottom