What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Pre-game bowl: my as-yet-untitled latest blend, in a Peterson Rosslare Classic B10...

$DSCF4103.jpg

Baraccini pocket pipe #2 , Bengal Slices, Anderson Valley blood orange Gose sour ale and chips and salsa on the back patio while catching up on podcasts.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have vowed to smoke my Meerschaum more often. So far today is Orlik Golden Sliced and SG FVF. I found my sample of Stonehaven, which I may also smoke today. The camera doesn't catch the color well. The coloring on the stem is a light brown, on the bowl (especially at the rim) is a orange/ pink.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 49
I have vowed to smoke my Meerschaum more often. So far today is Orlik Golden Sliced and SG FVF. I found my sample of Stonehaven, which I may also smoke today. The camera doesn't catch the color well. The coloring on the stem is a light brown, on the bowl (especially at the rim) is a orange/ pink.
That's a good looking meer.

Here is mine for after the kids are in bed....
$uploadfromtaptalk1455065227679.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1455065246997.jpg

Boy ! They're Both Beautiful Meers ! SWEET !

PS Bullseye Luxury flake in a Stanwell Golden Danish (rusticated briar sort of calabash type shape)

​What's the difference in a bent Bulldog and a Rhodesian ? Inquiring minds ... . Great Pipes Kilroy , and cool stands !!! Love the Rests , too !

​What's the difference in a bent Bulldog and a Rhodesian ? Inquiring minds ... . Great Pipes Kilroy , and cool stands !!! Love the Rests , too !
$b2a632732ed53216355375de471f3df0.jpg
I was serious , and sort of got myself confused on that one . Do Bulldogs have diamond shanks and Rhodesians have round ? If so I have a James Upshall Bulldog with a twisted shank Free Hand , Hand Made . Lovats have saddle bits , Liverpools have tapered bits ? Opinion I guess .

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
There's a great difference of opinions about rhodesians and bulldogs. I generally fall where Price does--Bulldogs have diamond shanks and rhodesians have round shanks. Under that nomenclature, from the chart you posted I would classify the bullcap as a bulldog (or maybe a squat bulldog), the rhodesian prince as just a rhodesian, the bent rhodesian as a bent bulldog.

Now, it gets tricky sometimes because different makers have different takes on these shapes. For instance, if the pipe has a round bowl, I tend to think of that pipe as a rhodesian, even if it has a diamond shank, because to me a bulldog can't have a round bowl. Others would disagree. Also, some folks would say a bulldog is only ever a straight pipe. I disagree with that.

Do Bulldogs have diamond shanks and Rhodesians have round ?
That's always been my understanding.
Lovats have saddle bits , Liverpools have tapered bits ?
I thought lovats were distinguished from Canadians by the saddle stem instead of tapered, and lumberman/Liverpool shared the same distinction, but with an oval shank in stead of round.

Whatever - the most important thing is: smoke what you like. Who cares what they call it? :001_cool:

There's a great difference of opinions about rhodesians and bulldogs. I generally fall where Price does--Bulldogs have diamond shanks and rhodesians have round shanks. Under that nomenclature, from the chart you posted I would classify the bullcap as a bulldog (or maybe a squat bulldog), the rhodesian prince as just a rhodesian, the bent rhodesian as a bent bulldog.

Now, it gets tricky sometimes because different makers have different takes on these shapes. For instance, if the pipe has a round bowl, I tend to think of that pipe as a rhodesian, even if it has a diamond shank, because to me a bulldog can't have a round bowl. Others would disagree. Also, some folks would say a bulldog is only ever a straight pipe. I disagree with that.

I'm sure I knew , but forgot ... I checked , yep my Lumbermen have oval shanks . I thought I knew , Lovats have saddle bits (that's my main distinction), maybe shorter shanks by a bit , too , not much . I never thought of a prince as a tomato ... either . Then there's the shape of the Heel ... . O boy .

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I subscribe to the diamond/round shank division for bulldogs and Rhodesians. It's the simplest definition, in my opinion. As for Canadians and such, I believe the Canadian has an oval shank and tapered stem, and the Lovat has a round shank and saddle stem. The lumberman and Liverpool I get mixed up, but without Google I'm inclined to group them geographically, with the lumberman a saddle-stemmed Canadian, and the Liverpool a tapered-stemmed Lovat.

Top Bottom