What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Heard a rustlin' on the roof, then found a tin of British Woods under the tree. Smoking a very early Christmas morning bowl in a Dunhill Shell Briar 2111. This stuff is smooth, tasty and perfect for a foggy Christmas night.

McClelland's Frog Morton On The Town in a Peterson B51 Ashford...
$P1080987.jpg

About to have some Brindle Flake in my Moretti olive wood poker.. I had Marco make me a matching tamper, and super glad I did. His tamper design is simple and effective.

$image.jpg

The olive wood is holding up well. It had a flavor to it for the first few smokes, but that's it. The flavor was good, actually, but now it's just neutral. I'm assuming the rim might discolor quicker than briar, but it's a great smoker. I have 4 Moretti pipes, and they all smoke amazingly well.

Peterson's Perfect Plug (3P) in a Peterson 606 Flame Grain. This is my first time smoking 3P and I can already tell it's going to be a favorite. I filled the first half of the bowl with cube cut pieces and rubbed some out to fill the rest. Amazingly cool smoke! I'm not sure that I can describe the flavor yet. Maybe a bit fruity?

I'm trying Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River for the first time in my BC African Gourd Calabash.

It tastes yummy, but holy cow does this pipe smoke cool. Like... ridiculously cool.

Blackwoods Flake in a David Jones pot.

I'm trying Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River for the first time in my BC African Gourd Calabash.

It tastes yummy, but holy cow does this pipe smoke cool. Like... ridiculously cool.

Tried Mississippi River for the first time a few days ago, and really enjoyed it. I've only had a gourd calabash for a few months, but I'm still blown away by how cool and dry they smoke.. game changers for anything that was bitin' in a briar.

This fire is so nice, I loaded two more pipes.. on deck, I have Dunhill Light Flake in a Shell Briar 3206, and Penzance in the B&B BL LE No. 25.. haven't smoked the 'zance in the LE yet, but I'm expecting greatness! meanwhile, this Blackwoods flake is taking its sweet, delicious time. It is officially pipe smoking day here in SE PDX!

Tried Mississippi River for the first time a few days ago, and really enjoyed it. I've only had a gourd calabash for a few months, but I'm still blown away by how cool and dry they smoke.. game changers for anything that was bitin' in a briar.

Mississippi River is odd... but not in a bad way. I mostly taste peppery perique, but randomly get puffs of sugary sweet VA. It's like Russian Roulette, except the bullet is yummy.

It was also my first time smoking the calabash, and I'm in love. It's a bit on the huge side though. I've been smoking it close to an hour and a half and still have a ways to go. It also doesn't lend well to clenching, meaning I only have one free hand. I think I may retire it until the spring or summer, when I don't have to freeze my buns off to get through a bowl and can just relax.

Mississippi River is odd... but not in a bad way. I mostly taste peppery perique, but randomly get puffs of sugary sweet VA. It's like Russian Roulette, except the bullet is yummy.

It was also my first time smoking the calabash, and I'm in love. It's a bit on the huge side though. I've been smoking it close to an hour and a half and still have a ways to go. It also doesn't lend well to clenching, meaning I only have one free hand. I think I may retire it until the spring or summer, when I don't have to freeze my buns off to get through a bowl and can just relax.

I like your description of Mississippi River.. too funny. I ended up getting a second, much smaller calabash for shorter smokes, but it still doesn't solve the clenching issue. I'd love to get one of those big BC 'bashes at some point.. beautiful pipes!

I like your description of Mississippi River.. too funny. I ended up getting a second, much smaller calabash for shorter smokes, but it still doesn't solve the clenching issue. I'd love to get one of those big BC 'bashes at some point.. beautiful pipes!

I'm not much of a clencher to begin with, but at times I need to use two hands for something. With this guy, I'm terrified because the stem is so thin and long... there's no balance whatsoever. I like your idea of getting a smaller calabash though, as it will give me an excuse for why I need another calabash. :biggrin1:

Boswell's Northwoods in my Alexander Poker. Followed by half a bowl of Dunhill Ultra Mild in my Stanwell Night and Day.

Top Bottom