What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This post brings up a question. I have seen "Cherrywood poker" before and thought it was a.reference to the pipe material and shape. It it really just the shape?

This post brings up a question. I have seen "Cherrywood poker" before and thought it was a.reference to the pipe material and shape. It it really just the shape?
It's is a shape name that original came from pipes that were made of Cherrywood (like old Ropp's), nowadays it usually refers to the slanted poker shape rather than actually being made of Cherrywood itself.

A Cherrywood shape is like a Poker but the flat bottom of the bowl is cut on an angle so the stem aims up and the bowl is still at a right angle to the stem (and therefore tilted a bit while sitting).

It does get confusing when talking about a pipe made from the wood of a cherry tree. I have two Ropps, one is a cherrywood shape and the other is not, but they're both made of cherry wood.

Tonight I'm breaking in this Medico Medalist yellow band apple. It came as part of that $13 lot of 6 I got on eBay and was like new, a few wipes cleaned it to bare wood (though I did give it a deeper cleaning, of course). I think it looks like a good lady pipe so I had it earmarked for my wife but I realized I should break it in for her and try to build some cake, and she hasn't been smoking lately anyway.

We're watching Sons of Liberty so I ought to smoke some MM American Patriot, but I'm smoking for the enemy tonight, H&H House Of Lords. It's a mild English, apparently with lots of Virginias but it's not chewing on my tongue like a straight VA would.

Photo taken with a potato using flash, and perhaps on the wrong background.
proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Balkan Sobranie (thanks alpster) in my 2013 LE Tinsky. Good news- it is good. Bad news- I may have fallen in love with another hard to get blend.

Haddos Delight in a Breccia Rombo Billiard. It was my first bowl of this blend.

I'm not good in describing what I taste or smell when trying new tobaccos but if I had to it would be something like this:

Smell-My first thought was actually a well aged champagne with nice bread notes in it but also something that reminded me about orange peels and a whiff of ethylacetate. Odd to say the least.

Taste-1st third of the bowl was peppery/spicy with sweet and sour note that I am still trying to determine if I like or not. Sometimes I had whiffs of perfume. Taste was going in all directions here. 2nd third it all of a sudden changed character and instead it felt like it came together in an almost cigar-like manner with only very light spice and sweetness. And the final third was earthy and remanding me of early spring evenings when the soil is still wet.

I'll have to revisit this soon again to determine if I liked it or not. But it was for sure an interesting smoke!

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Black XX in a small clay. This is just about the only way I can smoke this stuff. Anything bigger is just too much. Too much nicotine, too much bad flavor.

Top Bottom