What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Sir Walter Raleigh in a clay, and a cup of black coffee. I've heard you guys say that SWR and coffee go good together, so I thought I'd try it. They do go well together. I'm normally not a guy who pairs things, whether it be food & drink, main course & sides, pipes & tobacco, or tobacco & drink. So, while I never questioned notion that SWR and coffee complemented each other, I never really cared. But I'm always game to try something new. The experience didn't seem to enhance the tobacco any, but the coffee certainly benefited. It tastes like camping coffee, which, in my opinion as a non-connoisseur, is the best coffee.

Now, having finished the pipe in the time it took to type all that, I really have to rank that smoke as one of the best I've ever had. You'll notice that I was smoking a clay. This wasn't some fancy double-walled beauty. It was an antique clay bowl with a reed stem. Anybody that smokes traditionally styled clay pipes knows that they get pretty hot. That's actually why this particular pipe doesn't get a whole lot of use: the stem has a bit of a loose fit, and I've had the bowl fall off during tamping, so now I always grap the bowl by the shank, because that's the coolest spot. But tonight, the bowl never got hot. It got warm, but never uncomfortably so, and I was able to wrap my hand completely around it without getting burned. For a clay, that's damned near miraculous.

Quick morning puff before heading off on a bus trip to some craft breweries with the Brewers Guild I belong to (actually I started it). Orlik in a restored (but still rough) Brigham Billiard.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427548225.810183.jpg

Still cold here, my daughter insisted on joining me, so I set her up ;)

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427548298.859118.jpg

$20150328_185718.jpg

W.O. Larsen Signature in a Savinelli Sienna

This is my first post here, in Brown Leaf. This forum is just fantastic!

Last edited:
Balkan Sasieni in a Nording bent Brandy African meerschaum earlier today, now enjoying a bowl of Esoterica's Dorchester in a Peterson Rosslare 01 Spigot...
$P1110524.jpg$P1090021.jpg

Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls in a lil Custom-Bilt that alpster helped restore for me.

She smokes great. I begin to understand a bit of the hype.

Top Bottom