What's new

Automatic Watches

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I have a question that has been bothering me so to speak. I have an Omega Automatic Seamaster. Its the only watch that I currently wear. I wear it for 16hrs at a stretch and take it off when I go to sleep. Now I have noticed, since I bought the watch new from an authorized dealer, that the watch doesnt hold much more than 1 day or 1.5 days without a wind. Is that normal? I find it a bit odd that a watch wouldnt hold more than 1 day worth of a charge. Im not expecting a week, but one day is a bit short.

I have the same watch in the 42mm. I think I may get 48 hours if I am lucky. It depends on how movement I give the watch. If I am out walking all day, 48 hours is on par. You may want to try manually winding the watch a good way and then let your movement do the rest. See how that works. Love the watch! Love James Bond too! :001_smile

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I sometimes do a good 50 turns of the dial, but dont find myself keeping a good charge regardless. Mind you the watch runs well, and is only about 2 years old, and not due for a service yet.

I would say you're right on par, honestly. I wouldn't worry about it. I will use mine tomorrow and report my findings.

I sometimes do a good 50 turns of the dial, but dont find myself keeping a good charge regardless. Mind you the watch runs well, and is only about 2 years old, and not due for a service yet.

Using the watch will wind it, but usually not up to the full power reserve. Manually winding it should, though. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you are concerned, I'd send it in before the two year Omega service warranty expires.

It is probably meant to do better than this. Most automatics are designed to run 40 hours or more when fully wound, so that if you miss a day, it is still keeping time. The intended power reserve for this particular watch should be listed somewhere in Omega's literature. Have this looked into before your warrantee expires.

Most of my automatics keep time as long as I wear them daily... I've gone weeks without having to wind them. However, I would notice that they would slip a few seconds if I wore it less.

Your watch probably has an ETA 2892 based movement and you should never have an issue if you wear it every day all day. Unless you are extremely sedentary sitting at a desk all day. Just manually wind it all the way up and see how long it goes. it should be around 40hrs. If your active and have issues have it checked out.

I wear a Rolex. On the few occasions when I don't have it on it holds at least 36 hrs of time, which I think is about standard. So don't worry your Omega is performing as it should

As stated above, 40 hours is usual from a full wind. Most manufacturers will specify the reserve time, so you can check with omega-usually on their web site. If it is way off specs it may need a look from a good watch maker. Some makers sugest giving an auto a good 35 winds once a week anyway. You can't overwind due to the slip gear. As long as it runs overnight till you put it on I'd probably not worry about it.

Last edited:
I have a 7 year-old speedmaster auto and its "reserve" only lasts about 1 to 1.5 days as well, so I wouldn't worry about your SMP being defective. I believe that Omega's specs list a power reserve of 40 hours for its automatic watches, but that would be in ideal conditions fully charged, and as others have pointed out, your watch is probably not fully charged through daily wear. 40 hours max could easily be 24-30 hours in real world conditions. If I'm not going to wear my Omega for a few days in favor of another watch, I just wind it in the morning to keep it going.

Top Bottom