What's new

Rubbing Alcohol as aftershave

Anybody ever done this? I accidentally grabbed the 70% rubbing alcohol instead of the witch hazel. Thought it seemed odd that the foil was kind of in the way as I poured some in my hand. Splashed it on the left side of my face and wondered why there was so much burn as I noticed the difference in smell. I quickly doused my face with cold water so it wasn't too bad. I always feared I would do this one day since they are in the same part of the cupboard and I have the generic witch hazel in a similar plastic bottle. I think it's now time to move the rubbing alcohol to a different cupboard.

It works fine. I've used it for years, particularly when I need an especially effective "finish off" for a shave. I don't do perfumed aftershaves, and on the occasions when I need an aftershave, and witch hazel won't cut it, the alcohol will. The local dollar store sells 50% rubbing alcohol, which is plenty strong for such a purpose, and a teeny bit less bite. Not much is needed, less than a capful. Just enough to wet the shaved areas. Evaporates very quickly, leaving no scent and nice neutralized skin.

I used to be a projectionist at a multiplex theater in the 90s and we cleaned the film platters with 91% alcohol. There was a full shower and bath in the booth and more often than not, I'd end up shaving there and use the platter alcohol as an AS.

Whenever I hear someone complain about an AS burning (Aqua Velva, et al) I laugh. Ah, those were the days....

I did once brush my teeth with 'Deep Heat' one bleary eyed morning - there was a bathroom reorganisation very shortly afterwards...

I did once brush my teeth with 'Deep Heat' one bleary eyed morning - there was a bathroom reorganisation very shortly afterwards...

I have a tube of Groom 'n Clean right next to the toothpaste. I feel like I'm playing with fire, but I suppose I like to live dangerously. :tongue_sm

I shave, splash 70% on my head and face, hold my breath for the initial stench then splash Thayers toner or astringent per my mood. Then rub with a skin lotion. I do this 5 sometimes 6 days a week with great results.

I save the scent for my perfum.

Last edited:
I once absent-mindedly put shaving cream on my toothbrush. Made quite a mess on the mirror after I spit it out.:blushing:

I used to be a projectionist at a multiplex theater in the 90s and we cleaned the film platters with 91% alcohol. There was a full shower and bath in the booth and more often than not, I'd end up shaving there and use the platter alcohol as an AS.

Why was there a shower and full bath in a projection booth? How long were the movies back then?:laugh:

Why was there a shower and full bath in a projection booth? How long were the movies back then?:laugh:

Sorry, shower only - no bath. Many times shifts would be 14 hrs plus, sometimes overnight depending on screenings, etc. We had to stay up there and babysit the films. Sometimes it was easier to clean up there rather than at home.

Actually, my regular aftershave is a mixture of rubbing alcohol and witch hazel.

Get yourself the following items:

1. An empty 2 pint rubbing alcohol bottle

2. 1 pint of wintergreen rubbing alcohol (The green, mint scented one)

3. 1 pint of witch hazel

Pour the witch hazel into the 2 pint bottle, and then add to this as little as 1/4th and as much as all of the 1 pint of wintergreen rubbing alcohol. I typically use at least 1/2 of the alcohol during winter, and the full bottle in summer.

Decant into a spray bottle as needed and spray it on!

proxy.php

wintergreen rubbing alcohol

Top Bottom